The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
If it's an all-German final, I wouldn't know who to support. On the one hand, Bayern deserve that chance to win after last year's heart-ache and losing in the final in 2010. But Dortmund and Klopp come across as very impressive and likeable.

BTW, what are the impressions of Klopp as a coach? How is he viewed?
Reply 61
Original post by Aky786UK
If it's an all-German final, I wouldn't know who to support. On the one hand, Bayern deserve that chance to win after last year's heart-ache and losing in the final in 2010. But Dortmund and Klopp come across as very impressive and likeable.

BTW, what are the impressions of Klopp as a coach? How is he viewed?

Very good coach, just reading his wikipedia page shows how good he is. Dortmund were 13th the season before he came. They then came 6th the season he came, came 5th the season after that and then won the league twice in a row. Klopp is one of the best coaches around. Bringing in young players on a budget. He's basically doing what arsene wenger is doing in germany and winning trophies on top of it. Seems like he knows his tactics too. Built a great squad on such low funds too.

It's the kind of thing you'd expect a team to do in football manager, not real life.
What an anticipation! I plan to watch the semi final between Bayern and Barcelona, if it will be aired. In my opinion it is a well balanced duel and I would love to see what will Bayern do to stop the magic midfield of Barcelona.
Come on Barca!
Barcelona and Bayern are my favorites, because they are the strongest teams in last four. I guess the team which wrap these matches up wins the champions league in London at the end.
Reply 65
Original post by ra-ra-ra

Kelvin couldn’t have made a greater substitute’s impact as he did on Monday. Wow. 2 goals in 3 minutes, 2 really important goals too. I honestly thought we weren’t going to find that winning goal. Alans goal was fantastic.

Yeah, a toughie next week with Sporting. Hopefully Sporting can get their third consecutive last minute victory! :tongue: Ha. But yeah, these next few days all important for Benfica. Europa, Taca and then the Liga. You’d think it was a set of Portistas who have planned the fixtures like this, Sporting are one of the last teams you’d want to face in the league after those two games!

Glad we made it through against Newcastle.. I was fearing the worst when Ben Arfa cut inside on 88 minutes, but he smashed his shot over and then Salvio got the equaliser at the other end. Fenerbahce will be a tough tie, and an annoying trip to Turkey. That tough week you mentioned just got tougher.. after Sporting, we go straight to Turkey >_< And I fear Raul Meireles.. that guy annoyed me last season when he played against us for Chelsea, and I can just see him doing the same this time around as well.

Didn't remember it was the League Cup final already. Don't really care who wins.. it would be cool to see Braga finally add a trophy to all their hard work over the past 3 or 4 years, but in the end, Porto will win quite easily...

Edit:

Well, didn't expect Braga to win that one. The sending off ruined Porto's gameplan completely... the second half Braga dominated in terms of chances and should have been out of sight so many times, it was unbelievable the amount of chances they missed. Nice to see they won a trophy though, deserved it..
(edited 10 years ago)
It is possible to see two different semi finals in German free TV. First Dortmund against Madrid and then - quasi the cherry on the cake - Barcelona against Bayern. I guess I will see both of them. I can hardly wait to watch how this comparison between Germany and Spain comes to an end.
Reply 67
Original post by aa22
Glad we made it through against Newcastle.. I was fearing the worst when Ben Arfa cut inside on 88 minutes, but he smashed his shot over and then Salvio got the equaliser at the other end. Fenerbahce will be a tough tie, and an annoying trip to Turkey. That tough week you mentioned just got tougher.. after Sporting, we go straight to Turkey >_< And I fear Raul Meireles.. that guy annoyed me last season when he played against us for Chelsea, and I can just see him doing the same this time around as well.

Didn't remember it was the League Cup final already. Don't really care who wins.. it would be cool to see Braga finally add a trophy to all their hard work over the past 3 or 4 years, but in the end, Porto will win quite easily...

Edit:

Well, didn't expect Braga to win that one. The sending off ruined Porto's gameplan completely... the second half Braga dominated in terms of chances and should have been out of sight so many times, it was unbelievable the amount of chances they missed. Nice to see they won a trophy though, deserved it..

It was quite a nervy end up until Salvio scored. It really looked like Newcastle were going to get another goal. Semi-finals, another two games for Benfica to add to their schedule. For your sake it’s a shame it wasn’t against Chelsea so you would get your London fixture but I personally feel a Chelsea-Benfica final would be better, if it comes to that. But yeah, these next couple of weeks are so important for Benfica! A real test of the squads fitness too (This is what makes me more hopeful that Sporting will grab a 94th minute winner next week! :biggrin:)..

Haha, you always say we’ll win easily! Soooooo wrong! :tongue: For a Taça da Liga final that was actually pretty good. No one really cares about the Taca but I hate losing and it’s the one thing we’re yet to win!

Yeah the sending off didn’t help and if Braga were better at shooting they would have been more than 1-0 up. We tried, it went a bit end to end for one bit where we were throwing everyone up and then Braga would attack. Cracking atmosphere throughout though but the Arsenalistas deserved that. Like you said, all the hard work over the past few years they’ve put in, just the rise of that team in general it’s quite nice to see them win something AND nice to see Hugo Viana win something at Braga too.
Reply 68
There is admiring a player and then there is this...

So much Ronaldinho love from one "fan". :eek:
Oh my word, PSV v Ajax, what a game! :sogood:
I should have put a quid on it, considering I correctly predicted the 2-3 scoreline!! :lol:

Looks like it's Ajax's title to lose now!
Reply 70
Mario Gomez scored a hatrick in 6 minutes for Bayern. Ridiculous.
Original post by Jordan_1
Mario Gomez scored a hatrick in 6 minutes for Bayern. Ridiculous.

They look scary...
Reply 72
Original post by Malevolent
They look scary...

Indeed. Although the more I think about it, if they do go on to win the Champions League this year it seems a bit pointless for Pep to go there... especially if he's wanting to prove himself to his doubters.
Reply 73
Original post by Jordan_1
Indeed. Although the more I think about it, if they do go on to win the Champions League this year it seems a bit pointless for Pep to go there... especially if he's wanting to prove himself to his doubters.

Kind of said this when he first went to bayern. He's joining the german barcelona. Great youth squad, good resources and has the second best national squad in the world. German barcelona.

Only way I can see is if he plays tiki taka and wins the CL otherwise he'll still have doubts.

They look scary...

Revenge for last time. Bartra is gonna have to have a blinder. Happy we dodged them this season, don't want to be on the receiving end of a bayern slaughtering plus we beat them last time :lol: Still think you'll do well though germans are always like this remember the world cup when they destroyed england and argentina and spain done them nicely.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Kind of said this when he first went to bayern. He's joining the german barcelona. Great youth squad, good resources and has the second best national squad in the world. German barcelona.

Only way I can see is if he plays tiki taka and wins the CL otherwise he'll still have doubts.

Revenge for last time. Bartra is gonna have to have a blinder. Happy we dodged them this season, don't want to be on the receiving end of a bayern slaughtering plus we beat them last time :lol: Still think you'll do well though germans are always like this remember the world cup when they destroyed england and argentina and spain done them nicely.

I can only hope the Germans get stage fright again... Mandzukic being out is pretty good for us but if we can beat this Bayern we can go all the way. Testing times coming up for Bartra make or break.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
I can only hope the Germans get stage fright again... Mandzukic being out is pretty good for us but if we can beat this Bayern we can go all the way. Testing times coming up for Bartra make or break.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Figured since mario gomez will be on sky sports on at least one of the ties he's going to have a very **** game. He's always **** on sky sports but he's great in highlights.
Reply 76
Tonight in the Copa Libertadores should be a good game. Sao Paulo need to win if they’re to progress further in the competition but they are playing an Atletico Mineiro side who are hoping to hold onto their unbeaten record.

The game is live on ESPN at 2am. And despite having a 6:30am alarm clock for tomorrow morning I am attempting to stay up to watch this. Sometimes I wish football didn’t quite take over my life as much as this but this game is a big game.
Another loss for the Vancouver Whitecaps tonight against FC Dallas, and quite frankly they deserved to lose. Not sure what tactics Martin Rennie was playing with tonight but it ain't working.
Reply 78
Original post by aa22
x

Ready for tonight? The one night when all Porto fans back Sporting! If Benfica do win i say the league is most certainly yours though.

As for last night it was nice to see Jackson score two after going a few games without and nice for Fernando to get the other. I see it looks like it'll be the end of Helton come the end of the season and now Fernando has said he wants to leave to a more established league in order to get a cap for Brazil. :frown:

Paços are guaranteed a top four finish which is great for them to be in Europe next season, hopefully they can remain in the third spot though.

Madeira derby is currently underway too and hopefully Maritimo can build a bit of a gap from 5th-10th as nothing is really between them all at the moment.

EDIT: Well, that's one result with Maritimo losing not going my way today...

EDIT Again: I'm accepting defeat, you won't drop four points now. Although we could only draw against Maritimo, Benfica have had that extra something over us this year and i don't see you guys dropping points. Overall you lot have deserved it, we've put in more than a few performances this year where we have looked pretty average and just edged the win or not even that in some games. Although we could go the whole season without losing and we still won't win the league is a bit of a kick in the teeth, Benfica deserve the league more than us.

Also, as much as i dislike Matic, i absolutely cannot fault him this season. That guy has been great and he put in another great performance tonight. Good luck holding onto him.

As for Porto, a season where we have won nothing. Disappointing really and i think it'll be a disappointing summer where we will lose a few of our key players. And although we have won nothing this season, i have a feeling PCD will not get rid of VP.
(edited 10 years ago)
Celtic win the SPL! Thought it deserved a minor mention as there is no Scottish football thread considering how ****, stale and boring it is.

Feeling proud about winning the SPL is like feeling proud after you complete Call Of Duty on recruit or defeating Barnet on FIFA as Barcelona with the difficulty set to ameutar.

Quick Reply

Latest