The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

We seriously need to sort out the use of spoilers. So far I've seen inside spoilers recently, without context indicating what's in the spoiler tag:

1. Discussion about the episode that's just aired.
2. Speculation.
3. Genuine spoilers/leaks.

Because of 3, I've ended up avoiding all spoilers under the assumption that that's what it is. Leads me to miss out on a lot of 1 and 2, which should neither be spoilers, nor is it stipulated in the guidelines for it to be spoilers.

Original post by hazel.red.leaf
Am I the only one who thought of The Master? When the professor and Emma were narrating about the ghost story, they mentioned something about Saxon stories, and then they told about that dreadful knocking, chasing the ghost. I just couldn't help linking it. :biggrin:

I actually didn't link the Saxon thing, but I went straight ahead with the four knocks on my knee when I heard about the knocking.

I didn't mind the use of the sonic in this episode: it's been used as a 'scanner' for quite a while now. I'm okay with it being a "do stuff with doors" and a scanner thing.
Enjoyed the episode, I'm glad they're still expanding on the TARDIS being a living being with thoughts and feelings and judgement. I loved the TARDIS/Clara exchange.
A lot of plot points are just turning out to be completely rubbish, though:

Parallel universes, alternate universes, bubble universes, pocket universes, that all seem to have different rules...fair enough, there's no reason that they all have to follow the same rules, but at least a mention of them again, or a set of rules that recurs at least once would be appreciated.

Love is apparently a hell of a lot better at traversing universes and building connections than the TARDIS is.

And then there's the inconsistency with the time dilation effect throughout the episode with the time dilation effect...
Original post by Harrow.7
Was there any Rose references apart from the parallel universe?

-The love story of two 'monsters' being trapped on two different worlds.
-'Not love, not always'
-Ghostbusters

(:
Original post by Mess.
Got far more into the second half and that ended up pretty good indeed.

Did not enjoy Cara flying the TARDIS though :colonhash:

She didn't fly it did she? I was under the impression the TARDIS flew itself. I though that's why they showed the TARDIS before Clara got there and it opened up for her itself.

The TARDIS rescued the Doctor, not Clara :smile:
My favourite episode so far, if they just got rid of companions and had Doctor/TARDIS shenanigans all day long I'd be happy :biggrin:

Which is why next week looks good, TARDIS-centric episodes are my favourite. And any with Donna in admittedly...

Agree on the lame ending but I think it was there literally only to lampshade the Doctor/Rose scenario. It's the only logical reason why it was included because aside form that it's stupid.

And also, if I NEVER know the Doctor's name I'll be happy. I really really really (xmillion) hope they NEVER tell us. I'll be soo pissed off if they do.
Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza

And also, if I NEVER know the Doctor's name I'll be happy. I really really really (xmillion) hope they NEVER tell us. I'll be soo pissed off if they do.

My exact thoughts!
With the doctor taking pictures on Earth after it was brown and barren at the end of its life - when the Earth was destroyed by the sun in 'The End of the World' (S1E02), then it still looked blue and green ><
Reply 626
Really enjoyed this episode, and the last episode as well actually.
When they're not working really hard to shoehorn in series-arc clues and 'clever' clues and plots devices and twists for the sake of there being twists, then by-and-large the episodes are pretty good.
Obviously I don't include the Rings of Akhaten in that, that was complete garbage from pretty much whatever angle you looked at it.

Loved the monsters in tonight's episodes, they were suitably grotesque and when there was a cut to a shot of it right behind the Doctor I jumped a bit! (Maybe I just scare easily).
This series is finally beginning to get back onto form. Who is back!
Meh. Just meh. Only think I like is the psychology Clara has, being scared, her interactions with the doctor and tardis.
Reply 628
Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza
My favourite episode so far, if they just got rid of companions and had Doctor/TARDIS shenanigans all day long I'd be happy :biggrin:

Which is why next week looks good, TARDIS-centric episodes are my favourite. And any with Donna in admittedly...

Agree on the lame ending but I think it was there literally only to lampshade the Doctor/Rose scenario. It's the only logical reason why it was included because aside form that it's stupid.

I don't think they'll EVER reveal the Doctor's true name. It would destroy the entire premise of the show. "Doctor Who?" is waaaay more catchy than "Dr John Smith", for example.
Even Moffat wouldn't be that desperate for a big reveal.
Original post by ATommo11
I don't think they'll EVER reveal the Doctor's true name. It would destroy the entire premise of the show. "Doctor Who?" is waaaay more catchy than "Dr John Smith", for example.
Even Moffat wouldn't be that desperate for a big reveal.

Let's hope so my friend, let's hope so.

I remember the good old days when I loved Moffat's Who stories...
Am I the only one wondering when they are gonna bring Jack back?!
Reply 631
So disappointed of late over Doctor Who.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 632
To everyone thinking about people saying he's destroyed worlds and has blood on his hands and such.....this is a well known fact. It's referencing the Time War where he destroyed the Time Lords and the Daleks (for the most part)

Although that is one thing I despise about the 2005 revival.......the Time War supposedly wiped out every single Dalek & Time Lord, save a few, yet they're in the majority of seasons. AND theres a ****-load in the Parliament. Blarg.
Original post by Gjaykay
To everyone thinking about people saying he's destroyed worlds and has blood on his hands and such.....this is a well known fact. It's referencing the Time War where he destroyed the Time Lords and the Daleks (for the most part)

Although that is one thing I despise about the 2005 revival.......the Time War supposedly wiped out every single Dalek & Time Lord, save a few, yet they're in the majority of seasons. AND theres a ****-load in the Parliament. Blarg.

I think that is where the power ranger Daleks escaped a created an army of lesser clones.
Original post by DW Fan.
Wasn't the eye of harmony featured in the Paul Mcgann movie????

Yep.

----
Speculation on 50th anniversary (contains one confirmed spoiler)

Spoiler

Reply 635
Original post by SirMasterKey
Yep.

----
Speculation on 50th anniversary (contains one confirmed spoiler)

Spoiler

Which bit's the confirmed spoiler?
Original post by Aula
Which bit's the confirmed spoiler?

Spoiler

I thought it was an ok episode. Not brilliant, but not too bad.

Might as well chip in my thoughts on the potential name for the Doctor...

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
I thought it was an ok episode. Not brilliant, but not too bad.

Might as well chip in my thoughts on the potential name for the Doctor...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by rmhumphries
With the doctor taking pictures on Earth after it was brown and barren at the end of its life - when the Earth was destroyed by the sun in 'The End of the World' (S1E02), then it still looked blue and green ><

That might not have been Earth just an asteroid well in the future of the Earth's destruction-it did have an atmosphere though because the Doctor visited the same spot, when the Earth wasn't even born yet because 6 billions years ago is 1.4 billion years before Earth so it seems logical to think he visited the place after Earth was destroyed.

Quick Reply

Latest