The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abiraleft
Watched Smashed today, it was pretty good. :yep: I liked it more than Flight (both being centred around alcoholism) tbh. Really good performance by Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and some nifty directing.

BITCH

ahahahaha any film with jesse pinkman in it is a must watch.
Reply 8581
Original post by Deshi
Oh fair enough, yeah I'd agree. If you ever get a chance watch The Man From Nowhere, one of the only Korean films I own on DVD, so good.

:yy: I watched that the other day as well, really enjoyed it. Bleak as hell though.

Oh yeah, Korean films are pretty damn good, but seem to be very bloody :laugh: I saw The Good, The Bad and the Weird as well. I think it's meant to be a rip off of the american one :laugh:
Reply 8582
This looks so good, can't wait, a new trailer for Man of Steel and Star Trek today :coma:

[video="youtube;5ec_rPApKCA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&v=5ec_rPApKCA&nomobile=1[/video]
Reply 8583
[video="youtube;T6DJcgm3wNY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T6DJcgm3wNY[/video]
Reply 8584
Hmm, not sure.

You might enjoy this rather hilarious demolition of the Olsen Twins' movie "career"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rvppv
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8586
Original post by Abiraleft
Well, he's also said that he's a big fan of the Twilight franchise. :o: I've never quite gotten what sort of a critic he's supposed to be - he seems neither mainstream/populist nor artsy/indie; just hipster, basically. :p: Not that I've read a lot by him, so my opinion isn't especially informed.

What on friggin earth... he's not attempting to be anything like that. The guy has been reviewing for over 20 years and just knows the difference between films which are a waste of time, no story to tell, have nothing too say about the world or life etc. from the films that do.
The latest Man of Steel, Star Trek Into Darkness and Now You See Me trailers look brilliant.

Cannot wait to see them :biggrin:
Anyone ever seen Let Him Have It? I've seen Christopher Eccleston in a few things but he never really registered on my radar, until now. I believe this film was his first film role and he is all but flawless as Derek Bentley and Paul Reynolds also puts in a really good performance as Christopher Craig. It appears to be a beautifully photographed snapshot of 1950s Britain.
Original post by TheMagicRat
Anyone ever seen Let Him Have It? I've seen Christopher Eccleston in a few things but he never really registered on my radar, until now. I believe this film was his first film role and he is all but flawless as Derek Bentley and Paul Reynolds also puts in a really good performance as Christopher Craig. It appears to be a beautifully photographed snapshot of 1950s Britain.

Yes. Seen it many times. Brilliant film and a powerful argument against the death penalty (as indeed the Bentley case was in reality).
Ticket for Napoleon (1927) screening arrived today - Excited! :woo:
Saw a showing of The Room. Fantastic experience, everyone needs to see this film in a cinema. And bring plenty of spoons.
Original post by Plato's Trousers
What did ppl think of The Master?

I watched it the other night. Two superb central performances (especially from Joaquin Phoenix), but somehow it was less than the sum of its parts. Also, quite baggy. Could have done with an edit. Good, certainly, but not amazing IMHO

A mind numbingly dull movie that couldn't be saved by Phoenix's good performance. Paul Thomas Anderson is a hit and miss director. The Master lacked the exuberance of Punch Drunk Love and Boogie Nights, the latter being his best work.
Original post by tinkertailor
A mind numbingly dull movie that couldn't be saved by Phoenix's good performance. Paul Thomas Anderson is a hit and miss director. The Master lacked the exuberance of Punch Drunk Love and Boogie Nights, the latter being his best work.

I'm inclined to agree. I thought Boogie Nights and There Will be Blood were great. Haven't seen Punch Drunk Love.
On Saturday, I will be going to the cinemas. I cannot watch Evil Dead because I am not 18. The only other films that look good are Scary Movie 5 and Iron Man 3.

Which one would you say I should go to watch - Iron Man 3 or Scary Movie 5?
Original post by Decerto
On Saturday, I will be going to the cinemas. I cannot watch Evil Dead because I am not 18. The only other films that look good are Scary Movie 5 and Iron Man 3.

Which one would you say I should go to watch - Iron Man 3 or Scary Movie 5?

Iron Man 3.

Like, duh!
What do you guys think about Jack Reacher?

TV is full of cop/detective shows, it's like every other show is one. I thought it was nice to see something like this on the big screen, doesn't happen too often. I thought it was well done, there was enough suspense and even though you could guess what would come next quite a bit, it didn't feel negative, but rather that you were involved. And Reacher was a badass, I like badasses.
Original post by Deshi
This looks so good, can't wait, a new trailer for Man of Steel and Star Trek today :coma:

[video="youtube;5ec_rPApKCA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&v=5ec_rPApKCA&nomobile=1[/video]

:dice:

Original post by TheMagicRat

:yep: Aye. Excellent film.

Yet another reason why it looks like Sta Wars won't ovetake Star Trek in my opinion. As a boy I preferred Star Wars but a few years ago I started watching some Star Trek and have since found it more and more awesome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending