The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would You Ever Accept A Muslim UK Prime Minister?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Steevee
Islam has not undergone an enlightenment, the vast majority of Muslims in the world are Sunni, and the vast majority of them are fundamentalist. Fundamentalism is a strict adherence to doctrine. In the Western world, the vast majority of Christians are not fundamentalist. Islam, by and large, is still a fundamentalist religion. This does not mean all Muslims are fundamentalist, but the majority are.
Why is it wrong to follow your religion? and actually, if you have talked to some islamic scholars, you will see that there are some parts of Islam that have adapted to the modern world. HOWEVER, the basic principles of islam will never change, and why should we be forced to change them? and anyway, how many "proper" muslims do you actually know because frankly, a lot of them are corrupt.
Original post by Bookie123
No they have nothing to do with each other. Who you choose to partner with has nothing to do with treating women equally. Why would you conflate the two? Anyhow, how do you know what "equal" really is? Women and men are not the same. They are different, biologically, mentally, physically, emotionally, the responsibilities that they have are different to a man's. Who is the one that defines what is equal, taking into account all of these differences between them, taking into account what their nature is.

Equality is not a concept you understand?
Reply 122
Original post by consumed by stuff
Equality is not a concept you understand?
Who defines what is equal. You wouldn't feed a kitten and a cat the same amount of food just because they are of the same species you wouldn't even feed the same food, when it comes to certain things why should you treat women and men exactly equal, especially when they are so different. I am definitely a feminist and i agree with the idea of feminism, but to an extent.
Who defines what is equal. You wouldn't feed a kitten and a cat the same amount of food just because they are of the same species you wouldn't even feed the same food, when it comes to certain things why should you treat women and men exactly equal, especially when they are so different. I am definitely a feminist and i agree with the idea of feminism, but to an extent.

Giving each sex the same opportunities and choices. Its not based around forcing people to live the same lives for the sake of equality. Certain things we have control over, and those things should not be exclusive to just men, or just women
no for the Muslim prime minister.
Original post by iamgreatness
no for the Muslim prime minister.

And the radical Christian leader? :lolwut:
Reply 126
Giving each sex the same opportunities and choices. Its not based around forcing people to live the same lives for the sake of equality. Certain things we have control over, and those things should not be exclusive to just men, or just women
Islam does give women opportunity, however women and men are different in many different ways and islam takes that into consideration.
Islam does give women opportunity, however women and men are different in many different ways and islam takes that into consideration.

Your clearly Muslim. You enjoy the freedom of our secular society, continue to reap the benefits of a society, a country that is not ran by the laws of Islam. Your lucky.
I would accept either regardless of Religion, as long as they have a good set of policies/ideas and are willing to do right by the people lol (no homo)
Reply 129
You enjoy the freedom of our secular society,

Britain is not secular. Nor is the such a thing as freedom of speech.

continue to reap the benefits of a society,

Western expats in Islamic countries do the same...

a country that is not ran by the laws of Islam.

I wouldn't feel a difference if I moved to an Islamic country tbh..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 130
Your clearly Muslim. You enjoy the freedom of our secular society, continue to reap the benefits of a society, a country that is not ran by the laws of Islam. Your lucky.

I defend Christianity in the same exact manner. Just because a muslim country might oppress women, does not mean Islam the religion does.
I defend Christianity in the same exact manner. Just because a muslim country might oppress women, does not mean Islam the religion does.

So you think there is absolutely no link?
only if he kept that islam bull**** to himself.
Reply 133
Why not, if they were good at their job
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Would you ever accept a Muslim UK Prime Minister?

Similarly, would you ever accept a radical Christian UK Prime Minister?

(Emphasis on the radical for the latter PM.)

Thoughts?

P.S.
Note that this Muslim PM could be of any ethnicity.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that you have to stick the word radical to Christian and not Muslim since you already assume that Islam is radical.
Original post by Umar1
Britain is not secular. Nor is the such a thing as freedom of speech.

Western expats in Islamic countries do the same...

I wouldn't feel a difference if I moved to an Islamic country tbh..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Other than Scandinavia, the UK is as secular as you get.

As a white western male who is not religious, I think I would feel a major difference.
Reply 136
it depends on how their religion is effecting their policies. if they are proposing policies based heavily on their religion I doubt I would vote them in because as an atheist I would probably disagree with them, but that would be because I disagree with their policies not directly because they are a Muslim. if I agreed with their policies I would not reject them for being a Muslim, that would just be silly.

and no I would not vote a radical Christian in, assuming that by "radical" they would be making Christian policies that I would no doubt disagree with.
Original post by Scarface-Don
I find it absolutely ridiculous that you have to stick the word radical to Christian and not Muslim since you already assume that Islam is radical.

Did I explicitly say that Islam is radical? No? Then do not erroneously infer things that are not there. Nowhere have I implied such thing.
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Did I explicitly say that Islam is radical? No? Then do not erroneously infer things that are not there. Nowhere have I implied such thing.

So why did you say you not say a Muslim or Christian PM?
Original post by Scarface-Don
So why did you say you not say a Muslim or Christian PM?

Just because there were two choices does not mean they are linked or that there was an implicit connection.

Rather, I freely admit that I am well aware of the way Islam is perceived; therefore, I used it as an important example, purely due to its perception. Personally, I do not have a media-driven perception of Islam because I myself am well aware of some of the nonsense that comes out in media and how it can really influence the perception of the populace and sway public opinion.

Latest

Trending

Trending