The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9660
Original post by Sicaspeak
I'm not in an LDR yet but I will be come September. I'm staying in Leeds and my boyfriend, who I've been with for a year and a half, is hoping to get the grades to get into UCLan. He'll be in Preston which isn't too far away but it's still further than I'd want him to be :frown:

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to prepare for him leaving? I'd love to spend every moment of the summer holidays with him before he goes but I'm a bit worried it will make it more painful when he does go. We're completely dedicated/serious about our relationship and each other and this really is true love. We know it will be difficult but we can get through it. He's the love of my life and my best friend ever and I'm going to miss him more than anything. It's sad how even just thinking about it can evoke such emotions.

But anyway, yeah, any tips? Thank you in advance :smile:

Ah this was me this time last year (We were both in London and he was headed to Manchester in September). Honestly, for me? The anxiety and uncertainty of what was going to happen was worse than actually being in an LDR. Take it one step at a time, try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know). Maybe talk through how you are going to communicate (skype, phone, the odd written letter is quite nice), if you're going to visit each other in term time etc. Otherwise just try and relax and enjoy your summer together (: No 'preparation' necessary.
Original post by Kysa
Ah this was me this time last year (We were both in London and he was headed to Manchester in September). Honestly, for me? The anxiety and uncertainty of what was going to happen was worse than actually being in an LDR. Take it one step at a time, try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know). Maybe talk through how you are going to communicate (skype, phone, the odd written letter is quite nice), if you're going to visit each other in term time etc. Otherwise just try and relax and enjoy your summer together (: No 'preparation' necessary.

I think that's where my problem lies too - I'm very good at worrying about things. We have talked about what we're going to do in terms of keeping in contact (Skype is a definite and the written letters is an incredibly sweet idea :smile: ) and he says he'll come home every holiday. I've also worked out prices for train tickets to see how much it would cost to visit him, which thankfully isn't too much, so I'm sure we'll get quite a few opportunities to see one another in term time :biggrin:

Thank you so much for your advice, I really do appreciate it. And I will try to just take everything one step at a time - I've still got about 5 months before he leaves, might as well enjoy that time instead of worrying constantly.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how is your relationship now? I hope you and your boyfriend are still going strong :smile:
Reply 9662
I think that's where my problem lies too - I'm very good at worrying about things. We have talked about what we're going to do in terms of keeping in contact (Skype is a definite and the written letters is an incredibly sweet idea :smile: ) and he says he'll come home every holiday. I've also worked out prices for train tickets to see how much it would cost to visit him, which thankfully isn't too much, so I'm sure we'll get quite a few opportunities to see one another in term time :biggrin:

Thank you so much for your advice, I really do appreciate it. And I will try to just take everything one step at a time - I've still got about 5 months before he leaves, might as well enjoy that time instead of worrying constantly.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how is your relationship now? I hope you and your boyfriend are still going strong :smile:

Yep we are still going strong! I'm up to see him next weekend and then the next time I see him after that, exams will be over and we'll have the whole summer. It's a great feeling that we'll have done a whole year LDR. Next year things are going to change all over again though (I'm one year below him so I'll be off to uni myself in October) so I'm a little worried about that but I hope it'll be okay. Good luck! If you trust each other and can find a balance of how often you communicate/see each other that works for both of you, it might not be as bad as you think x
Original post by Kysa
Yep we are still going strong! I'm up to see him next weekend and then the next time I see him after that, exams will be over and we'll have the whole summer. It's a great feeling that we'll have done a whole year LDR. Next year things are going to change all over again though (I'm one year below him so I'll be off to uni myself in October) so I'm a little worried about that but I hope it'll be okay. Good luck! If you trust each other and can find a balance of how often you communicate/see each other that works for both of you, it might not be as bad as you think x

That's great to hear :biggrin: so lovely to know there are successful LDR's as there are so many people who say it won't work out. Very happy for you both :h: and I'm sure you'll be fine when you start uni. Good luck to you too and thanks again :smile: x
so lovely to know there are successful LDR's as there are so many people who say it won't work out.

So many people will tell you that it won't work, but honestly if you think that your relationship is worth living through the distance, it is possible. I wouldn't recommend an LDR to just anybody in a million years - it's got to be an extra special relationship. Cheers to you if you've got that! :smile:

Feel free to PM me if there are rough patches, I've been through them!
Original post by canadamoose
So many people will tell you that it won't work, but honestly if you think that your relationship is worth living through the distance, it is possible. I wouldn't recommend an LDR to just anybody in a million years - it's got to be an extra special relationship. Cheers to you if you've got that! :smile:

Feel free to PM me if there are rough patches, I've been through them!

Yeah, an LDR is definitely not the ideal situation but it's simply something we have to face together and I know my boyfriend and I can get through it :smile: And thank you very much for the kind offer! :h:
Reply 9666
Me and my boyfriend (Yes i'm gay) have been together for 2 years this July, he lives in Preston, Lancashire and i live in Hull so it's about 3hours on train. I see him every weekend, and i'm moving to Preston for Uni in September so yeah, whoever said Long distance doesn't work can get ****ed
Original post by KGW
Me and my boyfriend (Yes i'm gay) have been together for 2 years this July, he lives in Preston, Lancashire and i live in Hull so it's about 3hours on train. I see him every weekend, and i'm moving to Preston for Uni in September so yeah, whoever said Long distance doesn't work can get ****ed

So it's been 2 years long distance? That's awesome :3

I think long distance can work really well! You've just got to try that bit harder... Most people are just too scared/worried to try at first!
Reply 9668
Original post by katehlouise
So it's been 2 years long distance? That's awesome :3

I think long distance can work really well! You've just got to try that bit harder... Most people are just too scared/worried to try at first!

Yeah it'll be 2 years on July 8th :smile: You do need to try and make it work at first, then it just...happens. Like we see eachother every weekend then more if we can, so it's just like a normal relationship.

I think it makes the relationship better too because you build trust much quicker and then you make the most of your time together
Original post by KGW
You do need to try and make it work at first, then it just...happens.

I've had two LDRs in my life, and one of them became a chore to keep up. I made excuses and we drifted apart and ended it after a year and a half.

The second one was completely different - once, on the train to see him, I suddenly realised that it actually was a LDR. It felt so different, because it wasn't a chore to get on the train, it was just a transient phase to being able to spend time together.

We've been together five years this August, and our second wedding anniversary is on the 13th August. :smile: Just wanted to chip in and show everyone that LDRs are worth it!
Get to see my boyfriend tomorrow after 2 long months apart :biggrin:
Reply 9671
How often you you see you gf/bf? i wanted to get an idea from other people beacuse my bf lives about a 4 hour train journey away £40-£50 return and i see him around once a month am i being a bit stingy????
Original post by n.m0rg
How often you you see you gf/bf? i wanted to get an idea from other people beacuse my bf lives about a 4 hour train journey away £40-£50 return and i see him around once a month am i being a bit stingy????

My boyfriend and I see each other every 2 to 3 weeks which was horrendous at first but now it's normal and I actually look forward to my three weeks of just me, being able to focus on work and seeing my friends :smile: I think 1 month is fair enough if you don't have the funds to see each other more often, although 3 weeks is the amount of time I personally recommend as you can take it in turns visiting each other so you only have to pay to visit him once every 6 weeks! :redface:
Original post by n.m0rg

It can be between 2 weeks and 5 weeks. Atm it's going to be 4.5 weeks until I see him next - but when I do, it's because I'm leaving uni and moving in with him :biggrin: Ending our LDR! Woo!
Reply 9674
Original post by Anonymous
It can be between 2 weeks and 5 weeks. Atm it's going to be 4.5 weeks until I see him next - but when I do, it's because I'm leaving uni and moving in with him :biggrin: Ending our LDR! Woo!

Awh! hope it all goes well! :smile:
Reply 9675
Original post by Hollya18
My boyfriend and I see each other every 2 to 3 weeks which was horrendous at first but now it's normal and I actually look forward to my three weeks of just me, being able to focus on work and seeing my friends :smile: I think 1 month is fair enough if you don't have the funds to see each other more often, although 3 weeks is the amount of time I personally recommend as you can take it in turns visiting each other so you only have to pay to visit him once every 6 weeks! :redface:

Yeah well we've been together 4 years now this the the 2nd year with him at uni. Hes studying medicine so hes super busy and im on my gap year so we kinda agreed i would come see him which i don't mind. but its hard to work out how often to see each other when hes so busy but we miss each other so much...
The longer we are apart the more insecure we become about our relationship, we've nearly split up over this but when i visited him next we laughed because it was so absurd! There is nothing wrong with us except our time away from each other. Does any one else get these problems or is it because we need to see each other more often?
Reply 9676
Original post by Anonymous
Anon because I think my girlfriend is on TSR as well.

I'm in my first year at University and sometime in the first term I met a wonderful girl whom I could really relate to. We feel comfortable talking about the most intimate of secrets and overall I just feel very safe and happy with her and so does she.

This is my first ever relationship so naturally I'm a little anxious.

This summer, she asked me to spend a few weeks with her. Unfortunately, my conservative parents wont allow this nor do they know the extent of our relationship.

I am pursuing 'other' ways to be with her over the summer, but I'd just like to ask if other people have been in a similar situation and how they dealt with being away from their loved one for so long ?

Why doesn't she come stay with you? that way your parents can see how much you care for her and maybe respect your relationship and trust her to the extent of allowing you some freedom. Otherwise put one up to your parents and go see her anyway, its your life your old enough and if you've got the money you've got the means! As for dealing with being apart for a long time, i find making sure i'm busy/occupied so i don't dwell on missing my bf helps. Keep in touch, me and my bf used to say we would speak every certain day at a certain time but this was a BIG mistake. It made our relationship feel institutionalized so now i ring him when i'm happy and have things to talk about so when i speak to him we both have a laugh :smile: this does mean when we speak varies from everyday to a week, be at least we get along! ohh and another pointer is to reassure your gf that you still really like them, find them attractive etc .. seems silly but insecurities creep in after a while.. good luck!
Original post by n.m0rg

I see my bf every 6 weeks or so. He lives 2 hours and a half away by plane and it usually costs 100€ or so. I would love to see him once a month as we did when I was in Edinburgh but it's way too expensive :frown:. Once a month is not too bad but iI would probably try to see him every three weeks if I could afford it.
I'm in my first year on a three year university course and I've been in an LDR since October. During term time I live in Exeter and he lives in my home town in the north-east of England. It's difficult - I never wanted to be in a long distance relationship and I definitely wouldn't put myself through it if we'd just met. But we'd already dated for the last year of sixth form, splitting up and not speaking for the duration of my gap year and I missed him so much that we ended up in an LDR a year after we first split up. My main difficulties are the cost of visits (last time he visited me it cost him £170 return when booking a month in advance. I get the coach which is affordable but takes 10 hours each way) and the fact that he works full time (often on night shifts) so even during university holidays I can't spend as much time with him as I want to. So far we've managed to stick to 5 weeks being the absolute maximum we can go without seeing each other. He visited once in my first term and I came back home for a weekend and he visited me for a week second term. Our main method of communication is text messaging every day. I go back to university on Saturday for a month and then we get the whole summer : ) - we've almost made it through first year.

I wondered if anyone could tell me how different second year will be compared to first year. Will my workload prevent me from being able to come home for the odd weekend or prevent me from being able to have him come up to stay for a week?

I also wonder how willing you guys are to make sacrifices for the sake of your relationship? For example, before I got together with my boyfriend I always imagined staying in Exeter for the Easter holidays to make the most of the city. But now spending that time with my boyfriend seemed more important. Likewise, I find myself going home as soon as term officially ends rather than staying for a few days like most of my friends do. It's just little things like that make me wonder how much I'm giving up for this relationship. Don't get me wrong, I love him and it's worth it. But... I don't know, I just feel like I'm missing out sometimes.
Original post by n.m0rg

I see my boyfriend every 6-8 weeks. We live at opposite ends of the country (he's in Paris and I'm down south) so not only are trains really expensive, it's also a long way to go for a weekend. It doesn't help that both our schedules are really busy, anyway.
Oddly next year when our LDR goes international, it will be easier for us to see each other. I will be in London so getting to Paris will be much, much easier :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending