Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by JenniS
so what's the A* ums boundary?

108/120 - is an A*, that's usually around 68/69 raw marks out of 90
Reply 141
Original post by V95
108/120 - is an A*, that's usually around 68/69 raw marks out of 90

cheers. this is going to be a challenge!
Original post by V95
i've started content revision, planning to do case study revision closer to the time though! what did you get in unit 1 and 2 if you don't mind me asking? i need 76/120 for my A and 106/120 for my A* haha - just to clarify, you need an A at AS and 180/200 at A2, for an A* right? :smile:

for unit 1 I got 87% and unit 2 70% so it averaged out to be around 82% (I chose not to retake unit :/ wish I did in January! well I need a B for uni, but I would love an A (not studying geography at university)! so if my remark comes back as an A, and I get a high B or A in my final I should get the A overall - not fussed about the A* - I want it in music :smile: what about you - you must have got like 100% last year hahaha
Reply 143
Original post by V95
i've started content revision, planning to do case study revision closer to the time though! what did you get in unit 1 and 2 if you don't mind me asking? i need 76/120 for my A and 106/120 for my A* haha - just to clarify, you need an A at AS and 180/200 at A2, for an A* right? :smile:

hey could you please work out what i need to get in the summer to get an A and an A* ? i dont know how to work it out :frown:
i got 125/140 and 56/60 last year and have the paper 3 and 4B in june.

thank you!! :smile:
Reply 144
Original post by Daniel George
for unit 1 I got 87% and unit 2 70% so it averaged out to be around 82% (I chose not to retake unit :/ wish I did in January! well I need a B for uni, but I would love an A (not studying geography at university)! so if my remark comes back as an A, and I get a high B or A in my final I should get the A overall - not fussed about the A* - I want it in music :smile: what about you - you must have got like 100% last year hahaha

oh nice, well done! :smile: i need at least an A (i'm studying dentistry) but i'm going for that A*! haha nahh i wish! 122/140 in unit 1, 48/60 in unit 2 and 74/80 in unit 4 :smile:
Reply 145
Original post by emah123
hey could you please work out what i need to get in the summer to get an A and an A* ? i dont know how to work it out :frown:
i got 125/140 and 56/60 last year and have the paper 3 and 4B in june.

thank you!! :smile:

hey, you need 139/200 for an A and 180/200 for the A* :smile:
I was thinking, for tectonics - I don't think they have done a 40 marker on associated landforms before? because that would be a nice question talking about plate boundaries, theories, and the landforms associated :smile:?
Reply 147
What case study have you guys done for a high income volcanic eruption?? We did Mt St Helens back when we were taught it, but according to the chief examiner, the case study should be 'recent, ideally within the last 30 years', and Mt St Helens was 33 years ago....I guess it doesn't matter that much and you'd still get credit for Mt St Helens?
Original post by JenniS
What case study have you guys done for a high income volcanic eruption?? We did Mt St Helens back when we were taught it, but according to the chief examiner, the case study should be 'recent, ideally within the last 30 years', and Mt St Helens was 33 years ago....I guess it doesn't matter that much and you'd still get credit for Mt St Helens?

I've done Mt St Helens and Mt Pinatubo for my volcano case studies. I think it should be fine as it doesn't say it 'must' be within the last 30 years. And 33 years is close enough I think.
Reply 149
hey i still havent started revising for this exam :frown: :frown: is that really bad? do you think theres still enough time to learn everything and do past papers? i need an A for mu uni offer as well:frown:
Reply 150
Original post by JenniS

are you doing tectonics for your short answer questions? if so then i doubt we're even going to get vulcanicity as it has come up in the past two exam series
Reply 151
Original post by V95
are you doing tectonics for your short answer questions? if so then i doubt we're even going to get vulcanicity as it has come up in the past two exam series

I'm probably going to do my 40marker on tectonics because thats the module im most confident with
tectonics, you have a few very good examples that are very recent you definitely should include in the exam.
Original post by Daniel George
I was thinking, for tectonics - I don't think they have done a 40 marker on associated landforms before? because that would be a nice question talking about plate boundaries, theories, and the landforms associated :smile:?

You are right, they haven't. I have just written my own 40 marker on just this and managed to write about 2 pages on it. I think it would be quite a hard question to get though. It took me longer than an hour to write! But that might be because I am still revising it. I changed the word 'landforms' to 'features' though so that I could include earthquakes as well. Plus I could have written a bit on hot spots about the landforms even though not on a plate boundary. That would have made the 3 page mark. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you guys not find essays easier to write when they're on human topics? Particularly development and globalisation? Maybe it's because Geography is the only mildly scientific A level I study as the rest of mine are essay subjects, so I'm not as confident on the physical. Compared to Weather and Climate I find the Tectonics topic so much easier!
Original post by Ellie_May :)
You are right, they haven't. I have just written my own 40 marker on just this and managed to write about 2 pages on it. I think it would be quite a hard question to get though. It took me longer than an hour to write! But that might be because I am still revising it. I changed the word 'landforms' to 'features' though so that I could include earthquakes as well. Plus I could have written a bit on hot spots about the landforms even though not on a plate boundary. That would have made the 3 page mark. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree with you, it sounds more like a question you'd get 1st year undergrad, being general, also there'd be tonnes of case studies you could use, I could see a question to do with it however, just more specific and taking one part of landform/feature and asking a question on that.
150 minutes in this exam!

Aiming for around 75 marks out of 90. Should be very doable considering all the time we get given.

Anyone know why? For Business Unit 4, the paper is out of 80 (2 40 marks) and you get 105mins!
Original post by emah123
hey i still havent started revising for this exam :frown: :frown: is that really bad? do you think theres still enough time to learn everything and do past papers? i need an A for mu uni offer as well:frown:

There's still plenty of time. Just learn all your case studies and adapt the unit knowledge around it. Exam technique is probably the most important element in this exam, so try and perfect it.
Original post by midnightice
150 minutes in this exam!

Aiming for around 75 marks out of 90. Should be very doable considering all the time we get given.

Anyone know why? For Business Unit 4, the paper is out of 80 (2 40 marks) and you get 105mins!

How do you manage your time? I seem to run out!!
Original post by spurs1995
How do you manage your time? I seem to run out!!

It just seems to be excess time compared to my other subjects, so I'm used to having to write very fast. I split the time, so 75m/75m. That gives you loads of time to plan the 40mark very well as well as the other shorter questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending