The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Transfer to Modern Language (French) and Business Management

Hi,

I'm currently studying Management with French at Nottingham but I'm not really enjoying the structure so I've been looking at the Modern Language (French) and Business Management course at Manchester.

Does anyone know about the modules/structure as information from the website/prospectus is limited? (I have already emailed them and they have told me what they need to know in order for me to be considered i.e. A levels, transcript of first year results so far etc. but nothing to do with the course structure)
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't have any info myself, unfortunately, but you would be sensible to email the department and see if they will consider taking you at all. If they won't, then there's no point in trying to find detailed info on the structure

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Bellevie
Hi,

I'm currently studying Management with French at Nottingham but I'm not really enjoying the structure so I've been looking at the Modern Language (French) and Business Management course at Manchester.

Does anyone know about the modules/structure as information from the website/prospectus is limited?

Hi, I'm also transferring for this subject at Manchester (but for a different language) and for the 2013 course. I asked the person in charge of UCAs applications at my college and he says they are still recruiting for the course which means there are still vacancies available. Also, I was told that it's more likely if you're transferring for a University you've already had offers from rather than a completely new uni altogether. But yeah, you probably should email them to ask for clearer information =)
Reply 3
I am a french student and there were actually quite a few who transferred from other unis onto our course this year, so definitely email the department. Seeing as languages is a declining thing, I think they are probably more open to transfers. I'm guessing you're hoping to transfer into second year? I can give you module descriptions etc. The French side in second year is VERY open, you have to do the core language module (2 hours of grammar and one hour oral class a week) but other than that you get pretty much free reign on modules. There are literature,linguistic and cultural ones (cultural ones are always really popular but in general I find them to be a bit rubbish.)

I've copied this from the site for the buisness management side of things, I can do the same to your for french, but it is too long here so just ask and I'll PM it to you.

Compulsory Course Unit:
BMAN22000 (20 credits) Firms and Management in
Comparative Perspective
Optional Course Units:
Students choose 20-60 optional credits from the Level 2
course units below (but see ‘Important Notes’ first).
Semester 1
BMAN20781 (10 credits) Strategy, Organisation and
Competition
BMAN20821 (10 credits) New Product Development and
Innovation
MLPX20021 (10 credits) Leadership in Action
ECON20101 (10 credits) Economics of Environmental
Management
ECON20341 (10 credits) Business Economics IA
ECON20351 (10 credits) Microeconomics IIA
MSEC20021 (10 credits) Tools and Techniques for
Enterprise
Semester 2
BMAN20022 (10 credits) Career Development please see
restrictions below
BMAN20792 (10 credits) Technology, Strategy and
Innovation
BMAN20802 (10 credits) Science, Technology and Society
BMAN20832 (10 credits) Marketing
BMAN20842 (10 credits) Organisations and Employment
BMAN20142 (10 credits) Chinese Business
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
I don't have any info myself, unfortunately, but you would be sensible to email the department and see if they will consider taking you at all. If they won't, then there's no point in trying to find detailed info on the structure

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have already emailed them and they gave me details on how to help me with my application should I go through with it, nothing to do with the course, but thanks for the advice.
Reply 5
Original post by Sarangtaec
Hi, I'm also transferring for this subject at Manchester (but for a different language) and for the 2013 course. I asked the person in charge of UCAs applications at my college and he says they are still recruiting for the course which means there are still vacancies available. Also, I was told that it's more likely if you're transferring for a University you've already had offers from rather than a completely new uni altogether. But yeah, you probably should email them to ask for clearer information =)
Hi, are you already at Manchester or are you coming from a different uni?

Original post by tillytots
I am a french student and there were actually quite a few who transferred from other unis onto our course this year, so definitely email the department. Seeing as languages is a declining thing, I think they are probably more open to transfers. I'm guessing you're hoping to transfer into second year? I can give you module descriptions etc. The French side in second year is VERY open, you have to do the core language module (2 hours of grammar and one hour oral class a week) but other than that you get pretty much free reign on modules. There are literature,linguistic and cultural ones (cultural ones are always really popular but in general I find them to be a bit rubbish.)

I've copied this from the site for the buisness management side of things, I can do the same to your for french, but it is too long here so just ask and I'll PM it to you.

Compulsory Course Unit:
BMAN22000 (20 credits) Firms and Management in
Comparative Perspective
Optional Course Units:
Students choose 20-60 optional credits from the Level 2
course units below (but see ‘Important Notes’ first).
Semester 1
BMAN20781 (10 credits) Strategy, Organisation and
Competition
BMAN20821 (10 credits) New Product Development and
Innovation
MLPX20021 (10 credits) Leadership in Action
ECON20101 (10 credits) Economics of Environmental
Management
ECON20341 (10 credits) Business Economics IA
ECON20351 (10 credits) Microeconomics IIA
MSEC20021 (10 credits) Tools and Techniques for
Enterprise
Semester 2
BMAN20022 (10 credits) Career Development please see
restrictions below
BMAN20792 (10 credits) Technology, Strategy and
Innovation
BMAN20802 (10 credits) Science, Technology and Society
BMAN20832 (10 credits) Marketing
BMAN20842 (10 credits) Organisations and Employment
BMAN20142 (10 credits) Chinese Business

Hi, oh really, that makes me even more interested in moving haha. Yeah hoping to go straight to second year otherwise it's frankly not worth the hassle imo. Thank you very much for the module list and if you could pm me the French module list I'd really appreciate it :h:
Reply 6
Hi, are you already at Manchester or are you coming from a different uni?

No, I'm about to start this year, at college atm =)
Reply 7
No, I'm about to start this year, at college atm =)

Ah I see, what are your conditions?
Reply 8
Ah I see, what are your conditions?

As in entry requirements or where I want to go? LOL
Reply 9
As in entry requirements or where I want to go? LOL

Haha, entry requirements
Reply 10
Haha, entry requirements

Well before I transferred it was ABB but now they say minimum is BBB but my offer is ABB so I don't really know LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending