The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6CH07/01- May 8th 2013 - AS Chemistry Unit 3B

This is for the above mentioned exams. Basically this paper requires some general knowledge abt Chemistry but some questions are often repeated like why is acid used and stuff. :smile:

Unit 3 notes
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=213517&d=1367811923
Thanks to @thextractor007
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
has any1 got any notes for this unit? or any tips as to what experiments to revise??
anything would be great!!
Reply 2
Study the main experiments in unit 2 organic chemistry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Study from george facer unit 3, its really good and has everything u need to know!!!! Even unit 2 and 1 are excellent from that book, long but worth it... I have my mock tmrw on this unit, hope it goes well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Mimi85
Study from george facer unit 3, its really good and has everything u need to know!!!! Even unit 2 and 1 are excellent from that book, long but worth it... I have my mock tmrw on this unit, hope it goes well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can someone plz post 2013 jan 3b asap plz, i really need it now. Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile
What are all the unit 2 practicals?
Original post by Mimi85
Can someone plz post 2013 jan 3b asap plz, i really need it now. Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Relaxedexams
What are all the unit 2 practicals?

No definite list. All experiments from organic chemistry. Reactions of alcohols like bromination, halogenation, iodination. Oxidation of primary alcohols to adehydes which themselves are rapidly oxidized to carboxylic acids. Titrations.

What are the ones in unit 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
:smile:

THANKS A LOT.. one more thing , can i also have unit 2 2013 plzz
Original post by Mimi85
THANKS A LOT.. one more thing , can i also have unit 2 2013 plzz

http://www.freeexampapers.com/#A%20Level/Chemistry/Edexcel/2013%20Jan
Original post by NilFBosh
No definite list. All experiments from organic chemistry. Reactions of alcohols like bromination, halogenation, iodination. Oxidation of primary alcohols to adehydes which themselves are rapidly oxidized to carboxylic acids. Titrations.

What are the ones in unit 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, so...

Unit 1

Energetics
Alkanes and Alkenes (is there anything specific for unit 3 in these?)

Unit 2

Alcohol homologous series
Halogenoalkane homologous series
Group 2
Group 7
Titrations

Does this list sum up unit 3, or have I missed something? Also mass spectromacy, IR spectral analysis, mechanisms, Kinetics and equilibria have no chance of popping up in unit 3 right?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Ok, so...

Unit 1

Energetics
Alkanes and Alkenes (is there anything specific for unit 3 in these?)

Unit 2

Alcohol homologous series
Halogenoalkane homologous series
Group 2
Group 7
Titrations

Does this list sum up unit 3, or have I missed something? Also mass spectromacy, IR spectral analysis, mechanisms, Kinetics and equilibria have no chance of popping up in unit 3 right?

IR spectra is there in unit 3. It came in the Jan 13 paper.
Alcohol Reactions
Halogenoalkane reactions
IR spectra is there in unit 3. It came in the Jan 13 paper.
Alcohol Reactions
Halogenoalkane reactions

:eek: If Ir spectra came in jan 2013, maybe the other topics can come as well :frown:
Reply 14
:eek: If Ir spectra came in jan 2013, maybe the other topics can come as well :frown:

There is a possibility. The syllabus for unit 3 is organized in a proper format unlike Bio unit 3 :frown:
There is a possibility. The syllabus for unit 3 is organized in a proper format unlike Bio unit 3 :frown:

Either way, unit 3 for any subject has to contain only practicals. So for chem, it has to be all topics that have practicals...I just didn't realize IR spectra would be one of those...
Can someone pls tell me how to draw a perfect fractional distillation diagram.
Reply 17
Original post by Anujan Murugesu
Can someone pls tell me how to draw a perfect fractional distillation diagram.

No fractional distillation for unit 3. Only diagrams they ask to draw is heat under reflux heat and distill

Posted from TSR Mobile
No fractional distillation for unit 3. Only diagrams they ask to draw is heat under reflux heat and distill

Posted from TSR Mobile

They gave a diagram of fractional distillation and asked to give 3 mistakes in it.
Original post by Anujan Murugesu
They gave a diagram of fractional distillation and asked to give 3 mistakes in it.

But they won't ask you to draw it. Only distillation, reflux heating and seperating funnel will be asked to draw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending