The Student Room Group

How much does UMS matter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by King Hotpie
To piggyback this thread, how would 92/93% look for an application to Cambridge? I know it won't 'break' my application, but how much of a disadvantage would it put me being out of that average range? If it makes any difference it's Natural Sciences I'm interested in, although I'm not yet discounting oxford physics, but my relatively low GCSEs (3A*, 5A, 2B) are putting me off there a little.

There's not much to be said that you don't already know - your results would be lower than average, but good enough to get an interview. Beyond that, we can't really say much, unfortunately.
Reply 21
.no UMS doesn't matter if you get an offer it'll be based on your grades not your UMS.
Reply 22
Ahem UMS is geared towards the harder AS Papers so if you do well in your AS but not so well in your A2 you'll get a higher grade than if you did Badly in your AS but did better in your A2.

It compensates for the difficulty of the AS compared to the A2.

Now Don't get carried away and think the A2 is going to be a breeze because it's not.

As everyone knows the jump from gcse to a level is a big one so as A2 is a progression from AS the AS is harder.

Just don't flunk your AS ok!
Reply 23
Original post by Acieeed
.no UMS doesn't matter if you get an offer it'll be based on your grades not your UMS.

Why do you write in bold? It's especially irritating given how what you're saying isn't entirely true...
Reply 24
​why did you find it was a breeze?
Reply 25
Original post by Acieeed

For Cambridge admissions, this is utterly, utterly incorrect.
Original post by lp386
A little bit of industry experience (or plans for a gap year) might be helpful here. Other than that, it's just a case of getting the highest scores you can in Maths, Further Maths and Physics (past papers all the way!) Good luck.

I spoke to a few people from Cambridge and they said you should only do a gap year of industrial experience if you want it, not to increase the strength of your application (since it really won't make a huge difference, apparently).
Reply 27
Original post by lp386
For Cambridge admissions, this is utterly, utterly incorrect.

​so why doesn't cambridge make offers on ums instead of grades?
Original post by bellatrixb
Not sure about Oxford, but Cambridge has the summer pool, so the people who have missed their grades by the narrowest margins might get put in another college. Also, I think the average applicant figure is more like 90% (I got 88% and got an offer this year, so there is hope!)

Indeed, I also got 88% and got an offer... what subject just out of interest? I got in for geography, it seems there's less emphasis on UMS for arts rather than sciences, particularly the less competitive ones (obviously).
Reply 29
Original post by Acieeed
so why doesn't cambridge make offers on ums instead of grades.

Why would Cambridge get applicants to complete an SAQ form if they didn't care about UMS?
Reply 30
Original post by Acieeed
Ahem UMS is geared towards the harder AS Papers so if you do well in your AS but not so well in your A2 you'll get a higher grade than if you did Badly in your AS but did better in your A2.

It compensates for the difficulty of the AS compared to the A2.

Now Don't get carried away and think the A2 is going to be a breeze because it's not.

As everyone knows the jump from gcse to a level is a big one so as A2 is a progression from AS the AS is harder.

Just don't flunk your AS ok!

I suggest you read this post again and try and re-write it so that it makes sense. (Though I suspect that what you mean in the first bit is wrong anyway; AS and A2 are equally weighted.)
Reply 31
Original post by Noble.
Why would Cambridge get applicants to complete an SAQ form if they didn't care about UMS?

oops:colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Acieeed
​Nowhere on the SAQ do you have to detail your ums score.

Yes you do. Look at page 17:

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/saq.pdf
Reply 33
Original post by Acieeed
oops:colondollar:

Seriously? Giving out advice and 'imparting your knowledge' when you don't know simple things like this? :facepalm:
Original post by Bulbasaur
Indeed, I also got 88% and got an offer... what subject just out of interest? I got in for geography, it seems there's less emphasis on UMS for arts rather than sciences, particularly the less competitive ones (obviously).

Natural Sciences..to be honest, I have absolutely no idea how I got one, especially as my interview wasn't particularly impressive... But oh well! Which college is your offer for?
Reply 35
The general rule of thumb is:
If you have great GCSE's and straight A's at AS (even if you averaged 80 UMS) then apply to Oxford since you aren't penalised on your weak AS UMS.
If you have strong UMS in your AS's then apply to Cambridge.
Natural Sciences..to be honest, I have absolutely no idea how I got one, especially as my interview wasn't particularly impressive... But oh well! Which college is your offer for?

You must've impressed them a lot xD
Fitzwilliam, you?

:O You are my ideal test subject! :tongue:. If you don't mind me asking, did you have any extenuating circumstances which accounted for your (please don't take any offence) lower than average UMS? Or extraordinary GCSEs, although I understand cambridge care less about these? Or do you just generally have a god-like personality? :biggrin: Feel free to completely ignore these questions if you want, I understand its none if my business really, but the Cambridge natural s science course looks perfect for me and I desperately want a place, but it seems less and less likely by the day!
Original post by King Hotpie
To piggyback this thread, how would 92/93% look for an application to Cambridge? I know it won't 'break' my application, but how much of a disadvantage would it put me being out of that average range? If it makes any difference it's Natural Sciences I'm interested in, although I'm not yet discounting oxford physics, but my relatively low GCSEs (3A*, 5A, 2B) are putting me off there a little.

The autopooling criteria is ~93% - i.e. anyone with 93%+ who didn't get an offer from their first choice college HAS to be offered to other colleges for consideration in the Winter Pool. This suggests that 93%+ is considered an acceptable UMS for Cambridge. For NatSci, this is based upon your top three most relevant subjects (which are probably sciences). Personally, my only great UMS scores were in my most relevant subjects (further maths, chemistry, physics), and I don't think they cared at all about my 82% in French.
Don't worry about your GCSEs, they're still ok and as long as those Bs weren't in science subjects I doubt there would be any major issue. That said, you need to make sure your AS UMS can make you stand out.
Cambridge puts much more emphasis on UMS, and probably interview scores, personal statement, reference and even that slightly silly TSA test some collages make you sit.
Original post by Bulbasaur
You must've impressed them a lot xD
Fitzwilliam, you?

Magdalene :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending