The Student Room Group

I've been waiting for braces for ages what should I do?

I went to the dentist last year in June and I asked them to make a referral to an orthodontic for me,I haven't heard anything from them and its been almost a year now,last time I went to the dentist they just said to keep on waiting and that they would chase it up if we still hadn't heard anything next time around? What do they actually mean by chase it up,and would should I do if I don't hear anything by the next appointment this coming June. It really worrys me that by the time I do actually get an appointment my teeth want move as easily and so they won't be as effective :frown:.everyone I know has had braces and their teeth are perfect,and it really annoys me that I'm having to wait so long to get them ! :frown:
Reply 1
next time you go to the dentist tell them you have been waiting ages to get braces and ask them if they asked them? :smile:
Just tell your dentist i can't wait for long.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I went to the dentist last year in June and I asked them to make a referral to an orthodontic for me,I haven't heard anything from them and its been almost a year now,last time I went to the dentist they just said to keep on waiting and that they would chase it up if we still hadn't heard anything next time around? What do they actually mean by chase it up,and would should I do if I don't hear anything by the next appointment this coming June. It really worrys me that by the time I do actually get an appointment my teeth want move as easily and so they won't be as effective :frown:.everyone I know has had braces and their teeth are perfect,and it really annoys me that I'm having to wait so long to get them ! :frown:

:console: I understand your frustration! I was told I needed braces, but had to wait nearly two years before actually getting them, because they had to wait for a couple of teeth to come through properly at the back and stuff. I was 15, nearly 16 by the time I finally got them! Grrr. It's really horrible having to wait, especially when you see other people who've already been through the process and come out of the other side with perfect teeth.

If I were you, I'd contact the othodontist and find out what is going on. Are they waiting for a reason, or are you just next on the list? Either way, definitely chase it up. Although the fact that you have an orthodontist's appointment in June is encouraging - it may be that they're waiting until your teeth are ready for braces. Make sure to ask him exactly what's going on at that appointment.

Don't worry - your braces will still be effective. Some people don't get braces until they're in their 30s, and are left with perfect teeth afterwards. Just be patient.

I know the whole process is really frustrating, and there WILL be times when you absolutely hate having braces - but trust me, it is all 100% worth it in the end! When they take the braces off and you see your new teeth, it is the BEST feeling ever :smile:
Lisa needs braces.

DENTAL PLAN!
Braces made my cheeks go hollow
Reply 6
Original post by emilie18
:console: I understand your frustration! I was told I needed braces, but had to wait nearly two years before actually getting them, because they had to wait for a couple of teeth to come through properly at the back and stuff. I was 15, nearly 16 by the time I finally got them! Grrr. It's really horrible having to wait, especially when you see other people who've already been through the process and come out of the other side with perfect teeth.

If I were you, I'd contact the othodontist and find out what is going on. Are they waiting for a reason, or are you just next on the list? Either way, definitely chase it up. Although the fact that you have an orthodontist's appointment in June is encouraging - it may be that they're waiting until your teeth are ready for braces. Make sure to ask him exactly what's going on at that appointment.

Don't worry - your braces will still be effective. Some people don't get braces until they're in their 30s, and are left with perfect teeth afterwards. Just be patient.

I know the whole process is really frustrating, and there WILL be times when you absolutely hate having braces - but trust me, it is all 100% worth it in the end! When they take the braces off and you see your new teeth, it is the BEST feeling ever :smile:

This has made me feel so much more positive about the whole thing knowing that I'm not the only one,I'm just glad I didn't wait any longer to ask for them,the fact that you waited 2 years bothers me though,to think I could be at the end of year 11 before I get them!
Reply 7
Original post by civilstudent
Braces made my cheeks go hollow

What do you mean by hollow? And did you have a lisp and was it really obvious and how long did it last? I'm worried that I'll have a proper obvious lisp for ages and its even worse if I have school! Hoping I get them in the summer holidays so I can get used to them!
Reply 8
This has made me feel so much more positive about the whole thing knowing that I'm not the only one,I'm just glad I didn't wait any longer to ask for them,the fact that you waited 2 years bothers me though,to think I could be at the end of year 11 before I get them!

Aw I'm glad :smile: Honestly, just be patient cos the day you get them off is amaaaazing. It's been over two years since I had mine taken off, and I am just so happy with my teeth! Makes it all worthwhile. Good luck!
What do you mean by hollow? And did you have a lisp and was it really obvious and how long did it last? I'm worried that I'll have a proper obvious lisp for ages and its even worse if I have school! Hoping I get them in the summer holidays so I can get used to them!

Hollow as in my cheeks now look sunken my family were the first to comment on it but it doesnt bother me that much. I found it difficult to talk with the retainer brace in the first few weeks it was hard but after that your mouth adjusts and you will talk fine. Talking is a lot easier if you are having the 'train track' braces as they used to call them.
(edited 10 years ago)

I had to wait until halfway through sixth form... I'm now going to uni with braces :'(
Aw I'm glad :smile: Honestly, just be patient cos the day you get them off is amaaaazing. It's been over two years since I had mine taken off, and I am just so happy with my teeth! Makes it all worthwhile. Good luck!

until the wisdom teeth come through! Mine came through and my teeth went back like before lol, well maybe not as bad.
Reply 12
until the wisdom teeth come through! Mine came through and my teeth went back like before lol, well maybe not as bad.

Your orthodontist shouldn't have put them on til they came through, surely?! :eek: Hmm.
They really can takes ages, even once you've got an appointment at the orthodontists
I think i waited around 2 months for my first 'appointment' (if you'd even call it that) all they did was double check my my dentist had referred me really, gave my teeth a quick check, literally 20 seconds then told me 'yes, you do need braces' well i already knew that, but he said I'd be put on the waiting list, it was 4 years long at the time and being 17 at that point i realized i'd never actually get them because id be too old on the nhs, i still hoped they would contact me to let me know though considering i'll be 19 in august but yeah i've herd people waiting 2-4 years for them on

As i obviously do need braces i will get them one day, just will obviously have to pay for them myself so i'm going to wait till after uni till i have a job.
Your orthodontist shouldn't have put them on til they came through, surely?! :eek: Hmm.

but some peoples only come through in their late teens and you see loads of 13-16 year olds with braces, I didnt know they were supposed to wait until they came through.
Reply 15
but some peoples only come through in their late teens and you see loads of 13-16 year olds with braces, I didnt know they were supposed to wait until they came through.

That's what I was told by my orthodontist :dontknow: I guess it can be different, depends how much space is left in your mouth or something.
braces just to get took me 2 days
I went through the exact same thing! I was told I needed braces when I first started in yr7 but didn’t end up getting them until yr11!! It’s so annoying as all my friends had, had braces and had them off and has straight nice teeth and I was stuck with braces throughout college. Although it was horrible it was defiantly worth it as 3 years later I have perfectly straight teeth
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
What they did to my 2 older brothers was to literally wait 4 years before approving their request of braces.

They waited till they were 18 and had to pay for it themselfs which is rather naughty of them

Quick Reply

Latest