The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
That might not have been Earth just an asteroid well in the future of the Earth's destruction-it did have an atmosphere though because the Doctor visited the same spot, when the Earth wasn't even born yet because 6 billions years ago is 1.4 billion years before Earth so it seems logical to think he visited the place after Earth was destroyed.

The place after the Earth was destroyed would be inside the Sun I believe. (Wasn't the premise that the sun was going to expand, consuming the Earth?)
Re Doctors name

Spoiler

Original post by Mr.Messy
Re Doctors name

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm just starting to watch the latest episode now. I'm not a fan of ghost stories, so yes I did check behind my bed before I watched it! Despite being a teeny tiny bit terrified myself, that "Clara, I'm not holding your hand" scene was genuinely hilarious.

A bit about Saturday's episode with speculation and spoiler references on future/50th episodes.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
I'd say Moffat has definitely been planning this whole doctors name thing since "silence in the library" where Tennant meets river for the first time and when she tells him his name she says "I'm so so sorry" so it's obviously been building up for a while, this terrible dark secret. If he's been planning it this long, I doubt it'll be rushed and screwed up, it's Moffat, he's a genius and he's had like 4 years to plan this
The best episodes of any series are written by Moffat, I don't particularly like any of the other writers, I think Moffat should just write them all

Posted from TSR Mobile
A question about spoilers (but it's a spoiler in itself if you don't know certain info about the 50th anniversary episode)....

Spoiler

Reply 646
Original post by Rascacielos
A question about spoilers (but it's a spoiler in itself if you don't know certain info about the 50th anniversary episode)....

Spoiler

Yep.

Anything that has been officially announced about future shows counts as a spoiler. If you're speculating about it, it's worth saying above the spoiler that it's speculation about an official spoiler - then people who don't mind those can read it and join it :yy:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rascacielos

And what's the significance of "whisky is the eleventh most disgusting thing ever invented"?

I thought that was Moffatt laughing at us actually, knowing that we'd be looking for every possible clue... :p:
Original post by Feefifofum
I thought that was Moffatt laughing at us actually, knowing that we'd be looking for every possible clue... :p:

You could be right there. Of course he's bound to throw in a few red herrings. He knows us TSR lot are pretty good at figuring out plot lines. We could bring his empire down! :wink:
Not impressed with the recent episodes of Doctor Who. Something just seems to be missing lately. Stories just seem rushed, and the programme doesn't seem like the Beeb's lovechild anymore, like it's running out of steam.

Hope not, because I enjoy the show's legendarium, and I also like Matt Smith as the Doctor (very important he stays, as I don't think the show is now strong enough to overcome a change of title character).
I just spent pretty much the whole episode wishing Emma was the companion, to be honest :p:
I loved this episode.

I just don't think Clara should have been able to get into the Tardis without a key :s-smilie:
I'm incredibly worried about the finale. If the name is revealed, Moffat is playing a HUGE gamble.
Reply 653
My expectations for Dr who have gotten so low that last episode turned out to be surprisingly good for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That "I am the Doctor, and I am scared" was so blatantly shoehorned in for the trailer.
I agree with all the "I hope Moffat doesn't really do it" sentiments.

He's in dangerous territory - if he reveals x y and z about the Doctor's past, it's all well and good for the short term satisfaction of audiences, but it's going to severely limit the show in its current state. If there is nothing else drawing the audience in (in that we know everything already), then people will stop watching.

In my opinion, Doctor Who started going down hill a few years ago - when the American audiences started getting on board, it's now all about big secrets, angst, annoying quirky Britishness, etc.

Compare to Ecclestone's Doctor - there was a bit of an overarching storyline, but until the last 2 episodes it was completely on the backburner and the show was effectively serialised.

Imo, Doctor Who works best when it's serialised Star Trek style, with one big bad final boss to end the season - Daleks, Cybermen, Master, whatever.
Original post by pinkpenguin

Compare to Ecclestone's Doctor - there was a bit of an overarching storyline, but until the last 2 episodes it was completely on the backburner and the show was effectively serialised.

To be fair, it's pretty similar now - Moffat's idea of forshadowing is put the same couple of words in every episode but don't include anything that could actually be interpreted.
Reply 657
Spoilery image of something in the next episode. It could be nothing, it could be something.

Spoiler

Original post by Bobifier
To be fair, it's pretty similar now - Moffat's idea of forshadowing is put the same couple of words in every episode but don't include anything that could actually be interpreted.

But the problem is, he's given us information like the title of the finale, which could potentially be a major plot point. So in fact the whole series is spent going 'hmmmm what is going to happen' etc etc.

Not to mention the permanent B storyline of 'who is Clara?'.

I want Doctor + normal companion (Martha :borat:) + scary monsters.
I bet there is a name reveal but then it magically turns out that it's not his name, just like how Moffat tried to sell the previous series to us with the Doctor 'dying' only to not die due to deus ex machina.

Why not say there's going to be a sex scene and then say 'aha there isn't really' in the episode?

Quick Reply

Latest