The Student Room Group

Example essays AS Economics

Does anyone have any example essays that I could look at for Econ1 or 2 for the 25 mark essays? AQA Economics AS Level. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't have any, but I did it and got an A at A2 using THIS (I always feel like I'm giving away a secret!):

Point/quote from the source...
Definition...
This is because...
This means that...
Therefore...
However...
This means that...

Seriously, I thought my teacher was giving us a rough guide when he gave me this, and I got a D (58/100) in Econ2. I resat the exam and took him literally. I got 95/100.

Here's a basic example for an essay on how to reduce inflation;

An increase in interest rates may lead to a reduction in inflation.
Inflation is the year on year increase in the general level of prices, as measured by the CPI.
This is because an increase in IR may act as an incentive for people to save.
This means that less money is being spent into the economy.
Therefore the general level of prices may reduce.
However, if interest rates increase, this may lead to an increase in the amount of people's savings.
This means that people may have more disposable income to spend back into the economy, and therefore the general level of prices may increase.

Obviously if you had an actual essay then you'd be able to make that work better than I did haha. You only need 4 of these for a 25 marker, then a conclusion. Make sure you do 4 of these paragraphs, because the other class in my college were taught to do 3 by a different teacher, and they were more of a mediocre grade class. :smile:
Reply 2
Oh, and it's 4 paragraphs for a reason for macro/econ2! It will either be one paragraph for inflation, then one for unemployment, then econ growth, then the balance of payments; or one paragraph for supply-side, then another for Keynesian, then fiscal, then fiscal-supple side/another of the first few.
Original post by Turty
I don't have any, but I did it and got an A at A2 using THIS (I always feel like I'm giving away a secret!):

Definition...
This is because...
This means that...
Therefore...
However...
This means that...

Seriously, I thought my teacher was giving us a rough guide when he gave me this, and I got a D (58/100) in Econ2. I resat the exam and took him literally. I got 95/100.

Inflation is the year on year increase in the general level of prices, as measured by the CPI.
However, if interest rates increase, this may lead to an increase in the amount of people's savings.
This means that people may have more disposable income to spend back into the economy, and therefore the general level of prices may increase.

Obviously if you had an actual essay then you'd be able to make that work better than I did haha. You only need 4 of these for a 25 marker, then a conclusion. Make sure you do 4 of these paragraphs, because the other class in my college were taught to do 3 by a different teacher, and they were more of a mediocre grade class. :smile:

haha i got 58/100 in my first econ exam unit 1,good omen that you got 95 in yor resit haha :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by samuelsupress
haha i got 58/100 in my first econ exam unit 1,good omen that you got 95 in yor resit haha :smile:

What's funny is that I got 58 in my econ 2 in June, then I resat it in January (but didn't revise because I was trying to get As in my other ASs) and got 58 again! Haha, but then in June (after I was on all As) I realised it was actually possible for me to get an A in economics hence I got my 95.

Exactly, so you revise and you'll follow suit and get a 95 also! :wink:
Original post by Turty
What's funny is that I got 58 in my econ 2 in June, then I resat it in January (but didn't revise because I was trying to get As in my other ASs) and got 58 again! Haha, but then in June (after I was on all As) I realised it was actually possible for me to get an A in economics hence I got my 95.

, so you revise and you'll follow suit and get a 95 also! :wink:

haha,i know the stuff I just end up panicking when it comes to the exams:angry:,but yeah going to try and revise more for this unit :biggrin:
Original post by Turty

Definition...
This is because...
This means that...
Therefore...
However...
This means that...

Great structure on how to keep on topic, I cant keep my time under 30 mins its 40 mins atleast! I write about 4 pages but I have fair big hand writing, any tips?
If you just put 4 pts like your structure can you still get a level 4/5?
Reply 7
Original post by Turty

Definition...
This is because...
This means that...
Therefore...
However...
This means that...

Hi thank you for the structure. Can you use it for essays for unit 3 and 4??
Reply 8
Original post by BobTheBuilder94
Great structure on how to keep on topic, I cant keep my time under 30 mins its 40 mins atleast! I write about 4 pages but I have fair big hand writing, any tips?
If you just put 4 pts like your structure can you still get a level 4/5?

Hello. :smile: I can't remember if this thread is AS or A2, but if this is AS then you use this structure twice. I've for q3 (I think it's q3, if there's only 3 questions then it's q2) you use the first half (ie no however) twice about 2 different points each with a diagram. Then the last question youjust do four of these (once you get used to the writing frame it gets really easy!) and a quick conclusion and that's it. :smile:

like I said I did this at AS and got 95/100! One thig you MUST do more than anything is a zillion multiple choices! Literally do every single one on the website haha. That way you get used to sort of following your instincts about what answer is right. Because I'd always deliberate for ages and end up talking myself out of the right question, for some reason. And my instinct was always right! And the questions repeat themselves you'll notice.
Reply 9
Original post by franzk
Hi thank you for the structure. Can you use it for essays for unit 3 and 4??

Hello. :smile: yeah I used it for most of the essays. Unless they were a describe question, like "explain CoBA" which came up last year. :smile: but if its a discuss question, then yeah because I use it in discuss questions in all my A level hahaha
Reply 10
Original post by Turty
Hello. :smile: yeah I used it for most of the essays. Unless they were a describe question, like "explain CoBA" which came up last year. :smile: but if its a discuss question, then yeah because I use it in discuss questions in all my A level hahaha

What did you in unit 4 following the structure??
Reply 11
Original post by franzk
What did you in unit 4 following the structure??

In A2 I used the writing frame I wrote above for both the 25 marker (or whatever the last question on te case study is worth), for the second to last question on the case study I used it (minus the 'however...'bit) twice, as in two separate points in a paragraph each with a diagram for each, and I used it for the essay. :smile:
Original post by Turty
Hello. :smile: I can't remember if this thread is AS or A2, but if this is AS then you use this structure twice. I've for q3 (I think it's q3, if there's only 3 questions then it's q2) you use the first half (ie no however) twice about 2 different points each with a diagram. Then the last question youjust do four of these (once you get used to the writing frame it gets really easy!) and a quick conclusion and that's it. :smile:

like I said I did this at AS and got 95/100! One thig you MUST do more than anything is a zillion multiple choices! Literally do every single one on the website haha. That way you get used to sort of following your instincts about what answer is right. Because I'd always deliberate for ages and end up talking myself out of the right question, for some reason. And my instinct was always right! And the questions repeat themselves you'll notice.

Do you not include more evaluation then just one however for every point??

Do you mean if it's the AS 12 marker just do 2x the half structure? Like why it shifted demand/supply, the impact of this - diagram, new equilibrium.

Then 25 marker do 4x the FULL structure? So it's 8 points in total??

I'm resitting econ1 and econ2, sat econ3 in jan got an A, sitting econ4 in a few weeks!

Is the structure for econ4 the same?
Reply 13
Do you not include more evaluation then just one however for every point??

Do you mean if it's the AS 12 marker just do 2x the half structure? Like why it shifted demand/supply, the impact of this - diagram, new equilibrium.

Then 25 marker do 4x the FULL structure? So it's 8 points in total??

I'm resitting econ1 and econ2, sat econ3 in jan got an A, sitting econ4 in a few weeks!

Is the structure for econ4 the same?

For each paragraph, you make one point. Each point has an opposite point - the however. You say 'however...' Then you say 'this is because...' And then you explain your discussion.

And yeah, for the 12 marker you'd just put:

point/quote from source
definition
This is because
this means that
therefore

diagram to show.

But x2. :smile:

and yes it would be 8 points. But it's easier than it sounds, because the points are always going to be: (for MACRO!)

Unemployment
bop
inflation
econ growth

OR

supplyside
fiscal supply side
monetary
fiscal. :smile:

good luck in all your resits! And yes, module 4 is practically the exact same as module 2.
Original post by Turty
For each paragraph, you make one point. Each point has an opposite point - the however. You say 'however...' Then you say 'this is because...' And then you explain your discussion.

And yeah, for the 12 marker you'd just put:

point/quote from source
definition
This is because
this means that
therefore

diagram to show.

But x2. :smile:

and yes it would be 8 points. But it's easier than it sounds, because the points are always going to be: (for MACRO!)

Unemployment
bop
inflation
econ growth

OR

supplyside
fiscal supply side
monetary
fiscal. :smile:

good luck in all your resits! And yes, module 4 is practically the exact same as module 2.

Any econ1 tips? the MCQ are much harder for econ1 I'm gettin low marks like 17ish... :frown: on econ2 MCQ its around 22ish.

What calculations do you use for 8 mark q, like how much it increased by (larger no - smaller no) or percentage increase (larger no/smaller no x100 -100%)

How come you use 2 pts for the 12 marker? Apparently you only need one? I'm just a bit worried that I won't be able to make 2 pts. Haven't done any 5,8,12 mark q yet just done 25 markers...

Apparantly your supposed to go more in depth in Econ4 though? Even for fiscal/Monetary policy, like the fiscal 'Golden rule' and reserve asset ratios - qualitive and quantitive controls. But I don't see how you can put these in a essay though :frown:

Any predictions on the econ1 econ2 econ4 25 mark q?

thanks
Reply 15
Any econ1 tips? the MCQ are much harder for econ1 I'm gettin low marks like 17ish... :frown: on econ2 MCQ its around 22ish.

What calculations do you use for 8 mark q, like how much it increased by (larger no - smaller no) or percentage increase (larger no/smaller no x100 -100%)

How come you use 2 pts for the 12 marker? Apparently you only need one? I'm just a bit worried that I won't be able to make 2 pts. Haven't done any 5,8,12 mark q yet just done 25 markers...

Apparantly your supposed to go more in depth in Econ4 though? Even for fiscal/Monetary policy, like the fiscal 'Golden rule' and reserve asset ratios - qualitive and quantitive controls. But I don't see how you can put these in a essay though :frown:

Any predictions on the econ1 econ2 econ4 25 mark q?

thanks

The only thing you can do really is past papers, past papers, past papers! My economics teacher made us do a past paper for homework every single week throughout the year! And then by the exam you're really comfortable with them. Especially the multiple choices, because you'll see how the same questions keep coming up over and over again.

umm, we had a writing frame for the second question as well actually. It was something along the lines of:

[state the] lowest point,
highest point,
general trend,
overall,
something else, I can't remember.

and yeah, definitely two points. Wait, you're doing AQA right? There was an easy way of doing it, if you give me an example question then I'll show you. :smile:

Btw, do you have the anderton book? If not, get it. As well as the AQA one of course. It's a horrible looking book, and like 700 pages long haha, but most of it is really simple and unnecessary, so it's not that bad to read.

And yeah you do, which is done in the writing frame! I haven't done A2 in nearly a year now (but I'm doing it at uni next year), but I didn't do that? That asset thing you mentioned? If it's in the anderton book, then you need it. If it isn't, you don't.

I got an A by making notes from both the anderton and AQA book combined, so I had everything in NOTE FORM in one place. Then do a zillion past papers and you'll be able to literally answer any question, because you'll see there's only a limited number of questions they could possibly ask.

AND MEMORISE DEFINITIONS! Save yourself loads of time by being able to write them without even thinking. :smile:
Original post by Turty
The only thing you can do really is past papers, past papers, past papers! My economics teacher made us do a past paper for homework every single week throughout the year! And then by the exam you're really comfortable with them. Especially the multiple choices, because you'll see how the same questions keep coming up over and over again.

umm, we had a writing frame for the second question as well actually. It was something along the lines of:

[state the] lowest point,
highest point,
general trend,
overall,
something else, I can't remember.

and yeah, definitely two points. Wait, you're doing AQA right? There was an easy way of doing it, if you give me an example question then I'll show you. :smile:

Btw, do you have the anderton book? If not, get it. As well as the AQA one of course. It's a horrible looking book, and like 700 pages long haha, but most of it is really simple and unnecessary, so it's not that bad to read.

And yeah you do, which is done in the writing frame! I haven't done A2 in nearly a year now (but I'm doing it at uni next year), but I didn't do that? That asset thing you mentioned? If it's in the anderton book, then you need it. If it isn't, you don't.

I got an A by making notes from both the anderton and AQA book combined, so I had everything in NOTE FORM in one place. Then do a zillion past papers and you'll be able to literally answer any question, because you'll see there's only a limited number of questions they could possibly ask.

AND MEMORISE DEFINITIONS! Save yourself loads of time by being able to write them without even thinking. :smile:

Yeah i've got the Anderton one, AQA one and the Ray Powell massive book. Just stick to the AQA one tbh much better...
I haven't started revising econ4 yet :frown: been caught up with econ2 stuff.. hope econ4 is okay... My teacher takes yeaaars making a paper, no joke he takes atleast 2 weeks. Pathetic.

What have you applied for to do at uni and what unis?
Reply 17
Yeah i've got the Anderton one, AQA one and the Ray Powell massive book. Just stick to the AQA one tbh much better...
I haven't started revising econ4 yet :frown: been caught up with econ2 stuff.. hope econ4 is okay... My teacher takes yeaaars making a paper, no joke he takes atleast 2 weeks. Pathetic.

What have you applied for to do at uni and what unis?

The aqa book was my favourite text book ever hahaha. I was feeling really bad about my A2 economics, and actually only spent 11 days revising. But I full on spent all my time doing it and doing past papers and so still got my A. Mark your own against the mark schemes! That's what I'd do. :smile:

I'm doing economics ofc! Haha, at Sheffield. What about yourself? :smile:
Original post by Turty
The aqa book was my favourite text book ever hahaha. I was feeling really bad about my A2 economics, and actually only spent 11 days revising. But I full on spent all my time doing it and doing past papers and so still got my A. Mark your own against the mark schemes! That's what I'd do. :smile:

I'm doing economics ofc! Haha, at Sheffield. What about yourself? :smile:

My econ4 exam is before my A2 start so I cant cram properly :frown:

How do you mark them yourself?
Think i've said it before but not sure, I cant do a 25 mark AS essay in 25-30mins, it takes about 45 :frown:

Also, pls can you help me predict what might come up for econ1 and econ2. For econ1 what can they ask you on? just merit/demerit goods - subsidy/tax, min/max price, buffer stock?
For econ2 i hate the gov defecit q's... argh..

I've applied for econ at Leeds, how's sheffield? I didn't apply there but it looks really nice though!
Reply 19
My econ4 exam is before my A2 start so I cant cram properly :frown:

How do you mark them yourself?
Think i've said it before but not sure, I cant do a 25 mark AS essay in 25-30mins, it takes about 45 :frown:

Also, pls can you help me predict what might come up for econ1 and econ2. For econ1 what can they ask you on? just merit/demerit goods - subsidy/tax, min/max price, buffer stock?
For econ2 i hate the gov defecit q's... argh..

I've applied for econ at Leeds, how's sheffield? I didn't apply there but it looks really nice though!

Just look on the mark schemes haha. You might not be able to actually mark them, but at least make sure you have everything on the bullet points.

I literally would have no idea what could come up because I haven't done a level economics in almost a year haha. But probably most things for as! Like you can almost always fit in thins on subsidies and merit good etc. :smile:

haha I don't start until this September. Going to have to spend my summer archive up on economics before I go aha! Is Leeds your firm? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending