The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I live off 35.00 a week including travel (I live at home) but by doing this I have been able to save quite a lot so I can have a great summer :biggrin: p.s I only have a Avon commission based job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
After accommodation costs, I'll end up with between £45-£65 per week, depending on which accommodation I get

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am looking at about 305 per month, as certain things I done on a weekly cost other things are monthly cost. Am pretty hoping to be self funded this year and only getting basic loan. Which I hope to save. Certain things am paying out right up front. Such as my accommodation cost, tv licence, parking permit, car insurance/mot and tax when there due, christmas and birthdays when due and books when i need them. Food and extras I done on weekly budget. Phone bill/fuel/sports outside of uni/my unlimited card for cineworld are all monthly. Only reason am keeping my cineworld card is cinema just down the road, and I go to quite a lot of films so will likely save myself money by keeping card. Plus it's less than 200 pounds a year. I can go to as many films as I like for 15.90 a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CelticSymphony67
How do you live on £10 a week shop? Genuine question. The minimum I can live on is probably £20 a week, and that involves noodles, beans and Morrison's tasty £1 frozen Pepporini pizzas.

It's easy. Buy in bulk and cook rather than buy convenience food.
Original post by jackf1337
It's easy. Buy in bulk and cook rather than buy convenience food.
Do you use a wholesalers? Cooking can be a chore for me as I have MS, and sometimes my hands play up (hence quick and convinient food). When I'm having a good day, I will cook food properly.
I have £50 a week but I spend a bit visiting people a like once a month and this year have wanted to save for a holiday so been living off £20. I don't drink alcohol that often so it's all I need really :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by Pen Island
I have £50 a week but I spend a bit visiting people a like once a month and this year have wanted to save for a holiday so been living off £20. I don't drink alcohol that often so it's all I need really :smile:

Does £20 get you everything you need? As in, do you have a healthy (enough) diet and eat proper meals? I'm one of those that has meat with almost every meal, however I realise I probably won't have it as often when at uni - thankfully chicken is one of the cheapest meats, which is my favourite!
Do you use a wholesalers? Cooking can be a chore for me as I have MS, and sometimes my hands play up (hence quick and convinient food). When I'm having a good day, I will cook food properly.

No I generally just shop around for bargains and stuff on offer. I'm not particularly fussy about what I eat so I normally buy whatever's going. I'm also a well rehearsed scrimper. I go shopping with friends and they spend about £30 and I'll spend around £8 and come out with more XD

Ah man that sucks, sorry to hear about that :frown:
Reply 48
I think about £60 a week from my savings as they are at the moment, and then plus maybe £20 a week from my loan and my job. So £80-£90ish a week maybe.
Original post by gemmatovey
Does £20 get you everything you need? As in, do you have a healthy (enough) diet and eat proper meals? I'm one of those that has meat with almost every meal, however I realise I probably won't have it as often when at uni - thankfully chicken is one of the cheapest meats, which is my favourite!

I don't have meat everyday (I have eggs most days for breakfast though) but do still buy it. Normally offers are on 3 for £10/2 for £7 so I buy and freeze stuff I don't need immediately - or you can buy cheaper cuts/types. Fill meal up with veg and it's amazing how many extra portions you can cheaply get out of it. Make massive meal, refrigerate/freeze leftovers.

The £20 isn't exact every week, sometimes it's more/less depending on if it's a meat shop or not. But yeah meat and fruit will probably be biggest food expense! Doing it cheaply is about learning to cope with the cheaper stuff - sainsburys basics/tesco everyday value stuff (really not that different for most things!) and with meat if its not on offer its the cheap stuff and just cutting it down a wee bit so you don't have it quite as often. Also, not buying things when out and about i.e. make lunch at home and take it out rather than buying a £2 sandwich. Drink water too as opposed to expensive soft drinks/coffee. But do treat yourself once in a while otherwise it just gets depressing :tongue:
No I generally just shop around for bargains and stuff on offer. I'm not particularly fussy about what I eat so I normally buy whatever's going. I'm also a well rehearsed scrimper. I go shopping with friends and they spend about £30 and I'll spend around £8 and come out with more XD

Ah man that sucks, sorry to hear about that :frown:

No worries. It will be the first time in September when I will be living on a student budget, so I have been lookin around on here for tips and advice :smile:.
Reply 51
Original post by Pen Island
I don't have meat everyday (I have eggs most days for breakfast though) but do still buy it. Normally offers are on 3 for £10/2 for £7 so I buy and freeze stuff I don't need immediately - or you can buy cheaper cuts/types. Fill meal up with veg and it's amazing how many extra portions you can cheaply get out of it. Make massive meal, refrigerate/freeze leftovers.

The £20 isn't exact every week, sometimes it's more/less depending on if it's a meat shop or not. But yeah meat and fruit will probably be biggest food expense! Doing it cheaply is about learning to cope with the cheaper stuff - sainsburys basics/tesco everyday value stuff (really not that different for most things!) and with meat if its not on offer its the cheap stuff and just cutting it down a wee bit so you don't have it quite as often. Also, not buying things when out and about i.e. make lunch at home and take it out rather than buying a £2 sandwich. Drink water too as opposed to expensive soft drinks/coffee. But do treat yourself once in a while otherwise it just gets depressing :tongue:

I come from a 6 person family and my parents don't earn a great deal (it's low enough for me to get full grant and loan) which means that I'm used to getting the cheaper branded things and know which foods I like from own brands and which I don't (eg I don't like the own brand crisps) so I'll be keeping that in mind when doing my shopping.

Thank you very much for the advice! I am a fruit lover, but I'll only be buying in-season fruits and won't be buying them too much as I know how they can be quite expensive! I think meat is going to be the one that will be pushing my shopping up but I'll be sure to look out for the offers, thanks! Do they tend to have the offers on meat often?

Hahah, I'll try to! :tongue: I have a feeling my mum will be packing some treats for me (she's making a little hamper for me) and I'll just have to be sure to spread them out to last me! :P
No worries. It will be the first time in September when I will be living on a student budget, so I have been lookin around on here for tips and advice :smile:.

Good idea :smile: It takes practice!

A good example is ketchup. Now people rave about how great Heinz is and I don't think it's all that great myself. Too sugary. A bottle of Heinz ketchup is around £2.50 I believe (not sure how big the bottle is, I think it's around 500g). A bottle of Sainsbury's Basic ketchup is 30p and it's completely fine.
About £100 a week.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54

A good example is ketchup. Now people rave about how great Heinz is and I don't think it's all that great myself. Too sugary. A bottle of Heinz ketchup is around £2.50 I believe (not sure how big the bottle is, I think it's around 500g). A bottle of Sainsbury's Basic ketchup is 30p and it's completely fine.

Amen to that. It's like people taste the brand name rather than the product. When you even mention to them that they should try the supermarkets brand it's like you just condoned kicking babies or something :s-smilie: Imo Tesco ketchup & beans > Heinz.
£108 a week :smile:
£100- £125 a week, which I'll need as I'll be studying in London
Original post by petite fille
£100- £125 a week, which I'll need as I'll be studying in London

:yikes: I couldn't spend that much if I tried.

Original post by Naami
Amen to that. It's like people taste the brand name rather than the product. When you even mention to them that they should try the supermarkets brand it's like you just condoned kicking babies or something :s-smilie: Imo Tesco ketchup & beans > Heinz.

Exactly! I just had a tin of Sainsbury's Basic beans with sausages. Banging treat for 34p or however much they cost. I don't really buy anything branded. I just don't see the point.

That is very true. People seem to just go straight for the brand and not the item so to speak. I'm looking at eating pasta meals and the like when I go to university, nice and cheap, plus Pasta is filling as well.
That is very true. People seem to just go straight for the brand and not the item so to speak. I'm looking at eating pasta meals and the like when I go to university, nice and cheap, plus Pasta is filling as well.

Yeah. The reality is that brands are no better. Pasta is dirt cheap. You can pick up 500g for less than £1, that'll do for 4/5 meals. A jar of sauce can cost less than 50p. Get a loaf of bread, a bit of garlic and some butter and you'll have some garlic bread to have with it too. You can also have cheese if you'll use it all before it goes out of date.

Latest

Trending

Trending