The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Can somebody do a budget breakup .... I want to see how do you spend every quid ??!

Like how do you live of 30 a week ??? It does not make effing sense!
Reply 81
Original post by 1stPal
Can somebody do a budget breakup .... I want to see how do you spend every quid ??!

Like how do you live of 30 a week ??? It does not make effing sense!

I second this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1stPal
£45/week .... You are killing me !!!!

What do you mean?
Reply 83
Original post by Rascacielos
What do you mean?

How do you live using 40 quids per week only ? how do you do that ?
Reply 84
Just based on my maintenance loan and the price of my accommodation, -£26.43.

I think I might be relying on my parents...:frown:
Reply 85
Original post by CelticSymphony67
How do you live on £10 a week shop? Genuine question. The minimum I can live on is probably £20 a week, and that involves noodles, beans and Morrison's tasty £1 frozen Pepporini pizzas.

Noodles and pizza aren't that cheap. Spaghetti is a much cheaper alternative to noodles and that £1 pizza works out more than 3 times over my £1/kg limit on food.

My weekly spend varies. The only things I buy weekly are a 2 pint bottle of milk from Lidl for 79p, a loaf of basics bread from Sainsbury's for 50p and 3 bananas from Asda for 68p/kg. The rest is either stuff I don't buy every week (such as yogurt) or keeps for ages (frozen, tinned or things like salt) so I just buy some more of whatever I'm running low on when I go to get the bread, milk and bananas. I also get free samples, online vouchers, clubcard/nectar points, cashback etc where I can. I've worked out I spend just over £30 a month on food.
(edited 10 years ago)
The noodles I buy cost 14p a pack from Morrisons, and I but there frozen Pizzas for £1 each. The milk you buy is quite reasonable. I too get cheap bread from Morrisons.
Original post by 1stPal
How do you live using 40 quids per week only ? how do you do that ?

Quite happily. £45-50 is quite a bit to spend on food for one person. I don't go out that often...
Original post by 1stPal
Aha ... I recall every time I went to Tesco , Sainsbury or wait rose , I spent more than 30 quids.

I work in sainsburys and someone came through my til with 30 items from the basics range and paid around £8 for it haha.
Original post by StacFace
Noodles and pizza aren't that cheap. Spaghetti is a much cheaper alternative to noodles and that £1 pizza works out more than 3 times over my £1/kg limit on food.

My weekly spend varies. The only things I buy weekly are a 2 pint bottle of milk from Lidl for 79p, a loaf of basics bread from Sainsbury's for 50p and 3 bananas from Asda for 68p/kg. The rest is either stuff I don't buy every week (such as yogurt) or keeps for ages (frozen, tinned or things like salt) so I just buy some more of whatever I'm running low on when I go to get the bread, milk and bananas. I also get free samples, online vouchers, clubcard/nectar points, cashback etc where I can. I've worked out I spend just over £30 a month on food.

That's pretty impressive. I was proud of myself for getting by on £30 per week for food!

What sort of meals do you have?
Reply 90
I'm currently at university, and I'm >trying< to live off £60 a week. It's easier said than done, because if I wanted to go windsurfing for the day with my friends (with the uni) that's £15, and then food, and then if you want to go clubbing ... I mean people I speak to spend about £35 on each nights out (shared taxi/club entry fee/pre drinks/drinks in the club) ...so it goes a LOT quicker than you think.

My accommodation is £4000 a year, and my house deposit was £500 (eek, I had to 'dip' into my savings for that).

And then you have to pay for books and blah blah blah
Considering the cost of my accommodation which isn't covered by my loan, about -£4.
About £100 a week :biggrin:

Living with a single parent who never went to university is really going to pay off for me. I'm getting a Maintenance Loan+Grant of about £7500, a bursary of at least £1000+ and a rent reduction of £50 a week, making my ideal accommodation which is usually £122 about £70.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by annarchy.
I work in sainsburys and someone came through my til with 30 items from the basics range and paid around £8 for it haha.

Okay ... From your spending and the way you arrange your finances I can see that you qualify for being a good housewife !

Are you planning to attend Man. Uni. by any chance? :colondollar:
£24 but i get every meal catered so i should hopefully be good :smile:
£250 a week :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by Rascacielos
Quite happily. £45-50 is quite a bit to spend on food for one person. I don't go out that often...

:headbang:
Reply 97
I'm going to be fully catered first year and my parents said they'll send me around £35-50 a week. Need to pay £1600 extra with my maintenance loan just to cover my accommodation so I'm completely depending on them still until I can get a job :redface:
Luckily I will be on as much as I want really within reason as parents are paying all my tuition fees, accommodation costs and living expenses:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannah1994
My parents will be giving me £60 a week, which I will definitely be struggling with, especially in Edinburgh which is a pricey city! Currently trying to find the cheapest accommodation so I have some loan to live off! Hopefully I'll earn enough over summer to take around £1000 of my own savings too.

To be honest I think the way Student Finance is allocated is a joke. Why does it go on household income?! That means that people whose parents are divorced can be entitled to full grant if they live with their mum and she doesn't have to work because their dad earns like over 100k and they are minted. Yet someones whose parents earn a combination of like £41000 don't get anything?! No logic whatsoever.

I shouldn't say this but I'm glad my mum doesn't work and my dad has a low paid job as atleast it means I'm not going to have worry to much about finance for uni ! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending