The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

coming from northern Ireland to study at University of southampton for 2013

I got an offer for children's nursing branch in southampton but don't know much about the city. Anyone going to southampton from Northern Ireland? Not sure wether to put southampton queens or Dundee as my firm choice!
Im stuck between queens and southampton.

Mates are all at queens, but southampton's course rep is much higher for Economics and career prospects look to be stronger
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Just sent my application off today, Soton will be my firm but to be honest I'm expecting a rejection.

I've been to Dundee. Loads of Irish there. Not sure about now with the new fees. Its a great place to study.

Original post by dsinghdahiya257
Mates are all at queens, but southampton's course rep is much higher for Economics and career prospects look to be stronger

You'll make new mates. In fact I think that is a better part of heading over the sea, you'll not have the opportunity to stay in your own comfort zone and stick around with people you already know. So you'll have friends all over the UK/Ireland at Soton. Everyone I've met that studied in England/Scotland/Wales says it was the best thing that could have happened in terms of university, this includes students who put QUB as a firm and missed out. Most based this along the lines of QUB students going home on the Friday and coming back in Sunday/Monday, not really a proper student experience. Whereas you go overseas you'll be away for 2-3months at a time (that goes by like 2-3 weeks).

Obviously Southampton hasn't got the appeal that Newcastle or Liverpool have in terms of night-life, but the football team will be in the Premier League again next year, unless the have a major **** up. So it won't be a problem getting your mates over some weekend to see a game and head out after.
Reply 3

Yea I know where ur coming from like. Southampton is a great uni no doubt about it, just wish it was more recognised, some people have said the course is unreal but the city isn't all that great. Queens you know has good reputation and nightlife and stuff to do but going away provides such a fresh new opportunity! If only queens was across the water in Scotland or somewhere! But seriously don't worry about your mates you all meet up when ur all home together, and going away is such a chance to make new friends becuase no one really knows anyone. Take every opportunity you get :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by bestofyou
Just sent my application off today, Soton will be my firm but to be honest I'm expecting a rejection.

I've been to Dundee. Loads of Irish there. Not sure about now with the new fees. Its a great place to study.

You'll make new mates. In fact I think that is a better part of heading over the sea, you'll not have the opportunity to stay in your own comfort zone and stick around with people you already know. So you'll have friends all over the UK/Ireland at Soton. Everyone I've met that studied in England/Scotland/Wales says it was the best thing that could have happened in terms of university, this includes students who put QUB as a firm and missed out. Most based this along the lines of QUB students going home on the Friday and coming back in Sunday/Monday, not really a proper student experience. Whereas you go overseas you'll be away for 2-3months at a time (that goes by like 2-3 weeks).

Obviously Southampton hasn't got the appeal that Newcastle or Liverpool have in terms of night-life, but the football team will be in the Premier League again next year, unless the have a major **** up. So it won't be a problem getting your mates over some weekend to see a game and head out after.

How far is soton to the university of southampton? Someone said the best way to describe the city is like canterbury in Kent. I am dying to have a place like Dundee with the reputation of southampton.
Reply 5
Original post by Amandaeliz
How far is soton to the university of southampton? Someone said the best way to describe the city is like canterbury in Kent. I am dying to have a place like Dundee with the reputation of southampton.

Soton is just short for SOuthampTON :biggrin: Its even on their website.

Well Dundee is a lot like Belfast but on a smaller scale, the nightlife is more limited and the city centre is smaller. Though for student experience it is better than Belfast.

Dundee has a great reputation for medicine and dentistry, in fact one of the best in the UK. So I would imagine the nursing is pretty good as well. Besides, for health related subjects, reputation doesn't really matter as much.

Never been to soton so can't comment on that, but I've heard it is great. It has two universities, so it will have a pretty good student atmosphere.
Thanks for the replies (both of you's)
Reply 7
Original post by bestofyou
Soton is just short for SOuthampTON :biggrin: Its even on their website.

Well Dundee is a lot like Belfast but on a smaller scale, the nightlife is more limited and the city centre is smaller. Though for student experience it is better than Belfast.

Dundee has a great reputation for medicine and dentistry, in fact one of the best in the UK. So I would imagine the nursing is pretty good as well. Besides, for health related subjects, reputation doesn't really matter as much.

Never been to soton so can't comment on that, but I've heard it is great. It has two universities, so it will have a pretty good student atmosphere.

HAHA all makes sense now!!! Why didn't I notice that before!!!?? Hahaa! Awww thanks so much for the wee summary! Most useful thing I have read, will for sure help me with my decision! Are u from ni? Good luck getting to soton!
Ive firmed my unconditional, see you all in oct (if you make it) :smile:
Reply 9
Ive firmed my unconditional, see you all in oct (if you make it) :smile:

Yey i still haven't yet I keep changing my mind! I think I will eventually firm southampton though... What made you finally choose?
Original post by Amandaeliz
Yey i still haven't yet I keep changing my mind! I think I will eventually firm southampton though... What made you finally choose?

I guess the career prospects and generally more opportunities and things to do over in England. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending