The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I think it's great. It reminds me of the Flintstones.
(edited 11 years ago)
I feel like I'm about to have a stroke reading any particular post. Arial is a disgusting font and should be deleted! I'm aware that's entirely personal opinion, but I hate it, and judging by the reaction here the font is the main issue people have.

This design with Verdana would be good!
Meh... I (so far) don't mind most of the design changes, but I think the text in posts really needs to be bigger, I feel like I'm often straining to read it. The design changes do seem to more have the effect of just refreshing the website's look rather than improving it, though.
I like the new banner and "outline" design; it looks smoother and cleaner. Dislike Arial, but I'll undoubtedly get used to it.

I think the edit, quote, multiquote and quick reply buttons are too big and round. A smaller design could be preferable, and the speech bubble icons with them are just way too big. The new report post button is much better than the last one, though. Much tidier; it looks like it belongs there.

The star on the 'watch thread' button and on the bottom right by the "meet the mods" panel genuinely does look like something sent in to Blue Peter. I feel like the website is patronising me whenever I look at it.
I like the little dudes with eyes. I think they're cute.

Edit: Also dislike the default avatars as well. The differently coloured speech bubbles are pretty ugly. The blue on blue and blue on green look alright, but who thought orange on green was a good idea?
The white background in the avatars conflicts too much with the grey and is a bit of an eyesore.
Edit 2: After having more of a look around; the white background isn't too bad. Looked at a few more blue-on-blue ones and it looks pretty good; I think it's some of the alternate colours that's putting me off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Ok. I like how it turns blue when I quote someone. Thats my favourite change so far. :biggrin:

I don't know if it is my laptop or what, but the buttons have some funny lines at the edges. For example; "reply to this thread" or "submit reply". Could just be me though.
​At least change it back to Verdana
Reply 86
Original post by sugar-n-spice
Why did I sign in this morning? It's like being punched in the face by CBBC. It's horrendous just like the last major layout change, someone should be fired.

Here we go again, most people don't like it, but the mods all mysteriously think it's absolutely amazing.

Yeah I agree, all the symbols look like they're out of some primary school textbook and yes the text is strangely hurting my eyes, so once again I'm not too impressed personally.

I await the inevitable, 'you'll get used to it' or 'you'll like it eventually', but while yes obviously I will get used to it, it doesn't mean I'm going to eventually like it as I still dislike the general forum design compared to the old one they replaced a few months ago. I understand the refreshing of website layouts, but surely in refreshing a layout, you should look to improve it as well, cause the changes made recently don't seem like an improvement to me at all.
Ok, change the avatar back for people who don't have pictures up.

Change the font back.

The thumb up/down pictures are too big and childish looking.

The boxes of various things and stars etc all look like someone has drawn it on paint and copied/pasted it, and a lot of them are too big/bright as well. This is also what people mean when there're saying it looks childish.

The male/female symbols look too big/again looks like something done on paint.

Also the text needs to be moved back left, it's like everything is centered.
(edited 11 years ago)
No offense, but I prefered the old style. It looks much more childish now.
It's absolutely awful. Who on earth have you got on your testing team who thought these fonts were a good idea?

Please introduce some way for members to opt to use the old, readable design.

Original post by cpdavis

Also, to those users saying the design is ****, it would be useful to say why you don't like the design as it gives admin something to work with.

Let's be honest. They're not going to work with it. It's going to stay like this whether members like it or not. (They don't.)

I don't want a barrage of colour and horrible 'exciting' yet unreadable fonts. I want a functional forum that I can use for extended periods of time without getting a migraine. I think admin entirely misunderstand their target audience.

It's okay to just leave it alone sometimes, you know, admin? No-one's going to fire you if you don't vomit all over the forum every few weeks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90
What was wrong with the old ****ing layout.
I feel like I'm using a site designed for 7-year olds.

I don't think the orange buttons work at all. The rep buttons look out of proportion. All the stars and 'blobs' dotted around the site just look silly.
This indent on the text is weird. It hurts my eyes to have to look across from the aligned reply box thingy
I'd agree with the previous comments that the font is difficult to read and that the site now appears to be designed to attact and be suitable for seven-year olds. An interesting re-branding. Please revert.

You really should have realised by now that your developers are steadily ruining a valuable brand with some seriously badly-thought out changes.
You're still missing a "view last unread post" button at the top of threads, I found that function so useful when you used to have it!
Reply 95
There is a problem with all of these changes today, people with visual impairments using this site. In other words compliance with disability/equality legislation.
Reply 96
In all seriousness, this site now looks like it has been designed for Key Stage 2 students, which is quite a few years below the youngest people in this site's demographic.

The rep buttons are a bit rubbish. The colour change needs to be more noticeable when rep is given, and the red bit on the wrist of the neg button is too prominent - if you're scrolling, it looks like every post has been negged.
Reply 97
Ok, I see why my thread on this was closed. (Couldn't be arsed to scan for the topic)

+1 for WTF TSR.

It's garish.
I hate the new male/female symbols.
The new rep gems inspire a similar response.

RIDIC'.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 98
So much for TSR being inclusive if you have problems with your sight
Im afraid I have to agree with the majority here, Im not a fan. Im all for updates and I think the site was probably due for one, but if you plan to do an update do it right. This just seems poorly thought out and a bit of a rehash in my opinion.

There are some nice touches, I like the new quote icons etc but overall its not very easy on the eye.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending