The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Really not keen on the default avatars
Original post by Morgsie
The Disability Discrimination Act 1995, Mods should know all equality legislation

At risk of deviating off-topic, please don't tell me this was posted with at least a shred of seriousness?
'If it ain't broke, don't break it'.

-George Osborne, earlier today.
Original post by Champagne Supernova
At risk of deviating off-topic, please don't tell me this was posted with at least a shred of seriousness?

It can't possibly have been, but let's not let silly arguments against the new design distract us from how truly appalling it is.
Original post by Morgsie
The Disability Discrimination Act 1995, Mods should know all equality legislation

So essentially a law crash course?
I think the new layout does have a childish feel to it,like a website designed for a much younger age bracket than those that frequent this site.The colours look faded somehow,less vibrant,particuarly noticeable in the gems and thumbs up/down buttons.
Lastly,perhaps this is just my eyes but the font looks smaller and narrower which not meaning to sound lazy,makes the text overall harder to read.I'm not saying large text needs to be used,if anything that would intensify the childlike nature of the current layout,but back to what is was before,slightly bigger and more defined,which made it easier to read.
Reply 126
Web design is now about catering to the tablet user. I will not use a tablet for anything other than a quick piss around because laptops etc are much easier to use (fingering about gets annoying after a while) and have more functionality than the somewhat gimmicky 'tablet'. Just look at the abortion that is the new 'Hotmail' (now 'Outlook') design- another move towards catering for tablet users.

STOP THIS NONSENSE!
Reply 127
New Format is Sexy, Might knock one out now

ohh wait i am part of the No Fap 2013 :'(
Reply 128
Original post by sugar-n-spice
Here we go again, most people don't like it, but the mods all mysteriously think it's absolutely amazing.

"The mods" for the most part were quite critical when we last updated the forums. But in any case they're individuals and everyone's got their own opinion.

Original post by Drewski
As for the rep thing, have to agree it looks wrong. Every post looks like it's been negged because the red is far more prominent than the green. Even posts that have received both pos and neg reps still look like they've only been negged. For example, first post here

The rep icons will likely be looked into. When both are highlighted it definitely look a little unbalanced, although I hadn't really noticed anything until it was pointed out.

Original post by rmhumphries
The font BB tag has no effect - as you can see from my post. So unless you intended to disable custom fonts I would say that is a bug.

This looks to be a bug.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I think the edit, quote, multiquote and quick reply buttons are too big and round. A smaller design could be preferable, and the speech bubble icons with them are just way too big.

The reply buttons are only 4px taller than their original versions. The old ones were meant to be replaces ages ago, but in the end they were left alone, until they needed updating for the new brand.

Original post by blueberryyums
I don't know if it is my laptop or what, but the buttons have some funny lines at the edges. For example; "reply to this thread" or "submit reply". Could just be me though.

Could you post a screenshot?

Original post by AtomicMan
No offense, but I prefered the old style. It looks much more childish now.

I thought this as well when I first saw the new layout, but it's something you get used to, really. It feels a lot clearer now, the simpler design colours puts better emphasis on the stuff that matters i.e. post content.

Original post by TimmonaPortella
It's absolutely awful. Who on earth have you got on your testing team who thought these fonts were a good idea?

Absolutely anyone can join our testing team, it's free!

Kinda awkward when my post was made at 11:47am and yours at 12:01.

Nice originality there.
Reply 130
Haven't been going on this website a lot recently due to having a lot more on my plate, and these design changes look terrible. Even more of a reason for me to stay away.
Original post by Vikki1805
Kinda awkward when my post was made at 11:47am and yours at 12:01.

Nice originality there.

Honest mistake :redface: :biggrin:
Original post by The_Last_Melon
Honest mistake :redface: :biggrin:

:redface:
Meth, not even once
I do actually like how the new layout looks, it's just not as practical.
For one I think it should be more obvious if a post has a thumbs up or down, it's kind of hard to tell.
Original post by OddThings

Lastly,perhaps this is just my eyes but the font looks smaller and narrower which not meaning to sound lazy,makes the text overall harder to read.I'm not saying large text needs to be used,if anything that would intensify the childlike nature of the current layout,but back to what is was before,slightly bigger and more defined,which made it easier to read.

The font has changed to Arial which is very slightly narrower - thanks for the feedback on this, I'd be interested to hear if it becomes easier as you get used to it or not? :smile:
Original post by Vikki1805
:redface:

Mine was funnier and more relevant to modern technology.
Original post by therisenmitten
I do actually like how the new layout looks, it's just not as practical.
For one I think it should be more obvious if a post has a thumbs up or down, it's kind of hard to tell.

Thanks :biggrin: can I ask why you think it's hard to tell the difference? That will help us understand the problem better. Thank you :colondollar:
I do think Arial is a bit 90s - there are so many nicer fonts available these days and it's not particularly hard to embed custom fonts on a site.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The_Last_Melon
Mine was funnier and more relevant to modern technology.

Mine was just awesome.

Jealousy doesn't suit you, T-Dawg.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending