Reply 2
Original post by Degreen
What kind of questions were on it?

Have you applied?
Reply 3
Yeah.
Original post by ltigers
Anyone?

I have! Do you know your maths test results? There were a couple of questions I was kicking myself over after the maths test, silly errors, but I got 28/31 which might be enough for a place I hope :smile:

How did you guys do?
Reply 5
Original post by BeatlesFan96
I have! Do you know your maths test results? There were a couple of questions I was kicking myself over after the maths test, silly errors, but I got 28/31 which might be enough for a place I hope :smile:

How did you guys do?

Yeah, I got 29/31 so slightly better....one of the questions was quite tough..I hope it will be good enough....what was the rest of your application like?
The test was a bit odd, it said 80 mins before hand but then on the test itself it said 60... I panicked when I read '60' 70 mins in and so didn't check anything :L There were things I shouldn't have got wrong though, I was a bit annoyed with myself.

Gold in physics challenge, invited to prize-giving at Royal Society
Numerous maths challenge golds and olympiad merit
10 A* GCSEs and A in AddMaths FSMQ
A-levels: Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths
Not sure what my teacher put in my reference.

How about you?
Original post by ltigers
Yeah, I got 29/31 so slightly better....one of the questions was quite tough..I hope it will be good enough....what was the rest of your application like?

Sorry forgot to quote you.
Reply 8
The test was a bit odd, it said 80 mins before hand but then on the test itself it said 60... I panicked when I read '60' 70 mins in and so didn't check anything :L There were things I shouldn't have got wrong though, I was a bit annoyed with myself.

Gold in physics challenge, invited to prize-giving at Royal Society
Numerous maths challenge golds and olympiad merit
10 A* GCSEs and A in AddMaths FSMQ
A-levels: Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths
Not sure what my teacher put in my reference.

How about you?

Similar things,9a*s 1a (stupid English) ...doing same a levels (not sure about additional fm but doing 9 modules this year) gold in maths challenge, not done much else...
I guess we will find out in a few weeks... Do you know the exact date?
Original post by ltigers
Similar things,9a*s 1a (stupid English) ...doing same a levels (not sure about additional fm but doing 9 modules this year) gold in maths challenge, not done much else...
I guess we will find out in a few weeks... Do you know the exact date?

Oh right that's cool, yeah I'm doing 11 modules this year and then 7 next year because they'll be harder I reckon. Mainly self study. Ah that's annoying for you, but I doubt an A in an unrelated subject is going to affect your chances :P Have you done the physics challenge?

No I don't. I wonder how many people applied; in previous years there seems to have been quite a large student room presence but there doesn't seem to be this year.
Reply 10
Oh right that's cool, yeah I'm doing 11 modules this year and then 7 next year because they'll be harder I reckon. Mainly self study. Ah that's annoying for you, but I doubt an A in an unrelated subject is going to affect your chances :P Have you done the physics challenge?

No I don't. I wonder how many people applied; in previous years there seems to have been quite a large student room presence but there doesn't seem to be this year.

No I've not done the phyiscs challenge...I'm not sure how much we can get from no conversation on tsr....maybe there were lowr applications this year because of things like Sutton trust and other summer schools...I dunno, no one at my school had heard of the spc which was quite odd...given how good it looks...
Reply 11
I haven't got the results for the test back yet. I picked up a few idiotic mistakes (mostly caused by misreading polynomials or putting F-\mathbf{F} instead of F\mathbf{F}), so I suppose I can't have done too badly. With the estimation question were we supposed to approximate the speed of sound as 300 m/s and round the number of seconds in a year to a few dp (in the style of the artificially low precision of physics A-Level)?
Also: won't the test results be artificially inflated with everyone using wolfram alpha to do their answers for them? In that respect it seems a little redundant, unless I underestimate everyone's moral compass.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by henpen
I haven't got the results for the test back yet. I picked up a few idiotic mistakes (mostly caused by misreading polynomials or putting F-\mathbf{F} instead of F\mathbf{F}), so I suppose I can't have done too badly. With the estimation question were we supposed to approximate the speed of sound as 300 m/s and round the number of seconds in a year to a few dp (in the style of the artificially low precision of physics A-Level)?
Also: won't the test results be artificially inflated with everyone using wolfram alpha to do their answers for them? In that respect it seems a little redundant, unless I underestimate everyone's moral compass.

Ah that's annoying :/ I made a calculator finger-slip on one of them -_- It was probably better than you think though. I wasn't sure, it wasn't very clear was it? It wanted the answer to 2d.p. didn't it? That in itself was a bit odd I thought. I personally used 340ms^-1, but I don't know :smile: I guess people could, but there wasn't really much time to enter all the information? I've never used Wolfram Alpha so I don't know how complicated it is to do :smile: And lots of it was in a physics context so it did require some degree of intelligent thought... I thought it was bizarre that there was a putting numbers in order of size question! Good to see that these primary school/KS3 skills are still important :wink:

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post. Well done for identifying the errors :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Is anyone else really hoping that they get on, and sort of not knowing whether to look forward to mid may or prepare themselves for disappointment?

For the reference: AS phys challenge Gold (silver last year), GCSE gold and A2 bronze (a year early)

Also a bunch of maths challenge golds and team maths challenge national finals.

I got 31/32 in the maths-y test.
A boy in my year has already been accepted on this course. My teacher says i still have a chance, but i read on TSR that they only give one place per school. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I got 28/31 in the test, silver in AS Physics Chalenge, Gold in Maths Challenges.
Reply 15
Original post by Aftermanydays
A boy in my year has already been accepted on this course. My teacher says i still have a chance, but i read on TSR that they only give one place per school. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I got 28/31 in the test, silver in AS Physics Chalenge, Gold in Maths Challenges.

How do you know he has been given a place...? They said we would find out on by the middle of may,..and today's the 7th......also it's unlikely they'll give 2 places for one school...seeings as they're trying to promote diversity....
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by vandanparmar
Is anyone else really hoping that they get on, and sort of not knowing whether to look forward to mid may or prepare themselves for disappointment?

For the reference: AS phys challenge Gold (silver last year), GCSE gold and A2 bronze (a year early)

Also a bunch of maths challenge golds and team maths challenge national finals.

I got 31/32 in the maths-y test.

I feel the same as you! Just preparing myself for failure..,and then if I get its a bonus,,,,
Also the maths test was out of 31, not 32...
Original post by ltigers
How do you know he has been given a place...? They said we would find out on by the middle of may,..and today's the 7th......also it's unlikely they'll give 2 places for one school...seeings as they're trying to promote diversity....

He says he has a place, and the teacher confirmed this. He has always wanted to study physics and has top scores.
Looking at the older SPC threads it would look like the replies are given on a saturday (feel free to disagree if you don't agree)... But would people agree that that would probably be this saturday.. Or does anyone think next saturday?
Original post by ltigers

Also the maths test was out of 31, not 32...

My teacher said in his email to me that I got 31/32...? I wonder if it's 30/31 or 31/31...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending