The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

It's too cartoony I prefer the old design and by that I mean the one before last
Reply 221
Original post by sugar-n-spice

Here we go again, most people don't like it, but the mods all mysteriously think it's absolutely amazing.

You've only quoted three mods. Two of those three actually said something negative (as well as positive) so not "absolutely amazing". Moderators are individuals and have criticised changes to the site in the past.

Original post by Morgsie
The Disability Discrimination Act 1995, Mods should know all equality legislation

As you probably know, Morgsie, this is something I am sympathetic to and will discuss with the appropriate people. However, it is not the moderators who develop and approve changes to the layout and design of the site. Also, as far as I'm aware, there's new in the website which limits accessibility for people with disabilities. Admittedly the font and size is not ideal (people have brought this up on this thread and these concerns will hopefully be listened to and acted on) but it is a plain font, Arial, which many disability organisations recommend.

Things like moving text aren't used, which would cause a problem for text to speech readers. If you can think of anything other than the font and colours then please let me know.
(edited 11 years ago)
Another thing, would be good to have some kind of line inbetween PMs when looking in inbox, because they all kind blur into one atm.
Reply 223
Original post by River85
You've only quoted three mods. Two of those three actually said something negative (as well as positive) so not "absolutely amazing". Moderators are individuals and have criticised changes to the site in the past.

As you probably know, Morgsie, this is something I am sympathetic to and will discuss with the appropriate people. However, it is not the moderators who develop and approve changes to the layout and design of the site. Also, as far as I'm aware, there's nothing in the website which limits accessibility for people with disabilities. Admittedly the font and size is not ideal (people have brought this up on this thread and these concerns will hopefully be listened to and acted on) but it is a plain font, Arial, which many disability organisations recommend.

Things like moving text aren't used, which would cause a problem for text to speech readers. If you can think of anything other than the font and colours then please let me know.

It is reassuring that some acknowledge this issue but it should have raised during the design stage, not me kicking up a fuss like this.

I am short sighted in one eye and this new layout is straining it aswell being too bright which is my main gripe.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 224
Its growing on me tbh. I like some of the main ideas. I think the font should be increased in size, or changed back. I also find the colours are a little blue-heavy... Just too much pastel and blue gives the "childish" impression people are complaining about. Here are another few comments:

design changes.PNG
i dislike the new design
(edited 11 years ago)
Also are the default avatars now the red and green talk bubbles? Not that I'm particularly against them, just wondering.
Original post by Hanvyj
Its growing on me tbh. I like some of the main ideas. I think the font should be increased in size, or changed back. I also find the colours are a little blue-heavy... Just too much pastel and blue gives the "childish" impression people are complaining about. Here are another few comments:

design changes.PNG

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Also are the default avatars now the red and green talk bubbles? Not that I'm particularly against them, just wondering.

Thanks for the helpful feedback from both of you and the other guys who've posted.

On the last point, yes, that is one of the default avatars - there are now several different ones with different coloured speech bubbles.

Well, there's several different colour variations, but yes.
Original post by James A
Apologies, I should have known that! I've been on this site for under three years!!

I think I'll join the testing team :smile:

We usually PM members around the time we have something to test, so watch out for a message the next time we have some thing for you to look over!
Original post by RK
On the last point, yes, that is one of the default avatars - there are now several different ones with different coloured speech bubbles.

Original post by RightSaidJames
Well, there's several different colour variations, but yes.

That's exciting! Any rhyme or reason as to who gets what colours?
That's exciting! Any rhyme or reason as to who gets what colours?

I actually don't know what decides that. Maybe a question for Dez as I think he implemented that bit of code. It might...
Original post by RK
I actually don't know what decides that. Maybe a question for Dez as I think he implemented that bit of code. It might...

Dez
x

Hey Dez, how does the site decide what colour speech bubbles people get as default avvys?
Original post by Vikki1805
This is looking more and more like a CBeebies home page with every site amendment that takes place.

True :cry: :shakecane: I remember the old versions of TSR, well not really but I'm not a fan.
Reply 234
Original post by RK
Thanks for the helpful feedback from both of you and the other guys who've posted.

I spy quite a few more rep gems. Will black, yellow and grey be implemented in the near future? :beard:

And if you haven't seen already (my suggestions):

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by PQ
Possible bug report:

Font size for Subforums reduced within forum pages.

I'm sure the subforum titles used to be in the same font as thread titles (with the description etc in smaller font). Even if they didn't used to be it seems a shame to demote their importance (it's not like most sub forum titles are so long they'd distort the page).

I don't believe there has been a change in text size for subsforums. I'll see if I can pick out an screen shot of the old layout to check...

Original post by EierVonSatan
Most of these changes are positive or neutral but the change in font really overshadows this for me. Why change it? I don't recall any complaints over the readability of the previous font. It feels smaller/narrower and less readable from where I'm sitting.

Aside from that, I like the new quote box and the associated speech bubbles, I think it's easier to now distinguish different parts of a persons post. Not sure about the username colour within the quote box though, why not use the default blue that the post bit uses? Light blue on lighter blue doesn't make much sense to me :dontknow:

The new rep gems better fit the overall layout of the site (finally!) and the spoiler boxes are very neat. Are the ''submit reply'' and ''go advanced'' options supposed to be in different shades of orange? I'm guessing not :p: I can live with the shadowing on the buttons, though.

The stars and blobs do look a bit childish, but I can live them. As others have said the balance of the rep icons could do with adjustment in colour, but the design is an improvement in my opinion.

Thanks for the comments - it's really helpful to hear what people like as well as don't like. At times when an update is made feedback normally focuses on the negatives and it can take quite some time before you start to hear what people do like.

With the 'submit reply' and 'go advanced' buttons I believe the colours are supposed to be different, with the brighter one of higher importance/more commonly used than the paler one to make the more used one stand out more.
Original post by Vulpes
I spy quite a few more rep gems. Will black, yellow and grey be implemented in the near future? :beard:

And if you haven't seen already (my suggestions):

Spoiler

Spoiler

I can't say if we will be implementing any of your changes as they do go against the designs we had created, but it's great you're able to continue to make the site more to your own tastes. Everyone's views are different so whatever the design, we'd have some liking it more than others. That said, we are taking on board feedback like always, but today has been more about reading it, responding to some posts and recording what people are saying. I can't say what, if any, adjustments might be made as no decisions have yet been taken.

With the rep gems, we have a whole range of gem colours like before ranging from various red and green ones, to grey. Yellow would for if/when anyone gets more than 10 positive green gems (like in the old style rep system) and we might even still have a blue one for if someone has exactly 0 rep points.
Original post by Morgsie
It is reassuring that some acknowledge this issue but it should have raised during the design stage, not me kicking up a fuss like this.

I am short sighted in one eye and this new layout is straining it aswell being too bright which is my main gripe.

I have to agree, I have Chronic Fatigue and find it hard enough concentrating to read as it is; the new font being smaller makes it even harder.
Original post by Vikki1805
This is looking more and more like a CBeebies home page with every site amendment that takes place.

What's wrong with Cbeebies, it's my favourite channel! :tongue:

Personally I don't mind this new design. Usually I'm the first to complain when a site is redisgned like the BBC website and Digital Spy.
Not the keenest. I also like the quote :smile: It looks good. I don't like the new colour/font, or the stars.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending