The Student Room Group

Unemployed and lacking direction

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dugdugdug
Whilst I admire your determination and have managed to work out what you're looking for, careerwise, I have to admit the job market is not as straightforward as it may seem.

I think it is better to be in a non-relevant job than unemployed. However, I have been asked countless times why I am in a particular field (say advertising for argument sake) when actually I want to be in insurance.

Then I find I don't get my dream job because I'm not working in it in the first place, a kind of catch 22 situation.

Very frustrating but things seem to be better over the pond when you constantly hear 50 year olds changing careers.

The UK seems to pigeon hole people from the age of 21.

Not my black ass. This will only happen to your black ass if you let it.
Reply 21
Think abt the first you imagine doing. Now THAT'S what you should strive for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by RedArrow
Think abt the first you imagine doing. Now THAT'S what you should strive for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I admire the sentiment, but at 27 being a Premier League footballer isn't going to happen for me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Istanbul2005
I admire the sentiment, but at 27 being a Premier League football isn't going to happen for me.

True.

I don't want to be impolite to a fellow lfc fan, but .... The sooner you realize that you need to move the better it is for you.

Focus on plan B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you thought about marketing/PR? You mentioned music journalism, well marketing/PR will use some creativity and your admin experience will be very useful gaining an initial job. I'm not sure how many opportunities there are for people without degrees - a lot of jobs just require a 2.1 in any discipline (because they can, not because it's really required for the job). However, I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a job in a small marketing consultancy or a marketing department within a company. Then you can work your way up to higher positions. If you find the right company they might even fund you to take on some marketing qualifications while you're working. It's also a very common job you'll find it in most if not all cities.

Also, a lot of positions might advertise that they want a degree, but if you have a lot of admin experience already and take on a couple of internships (you could even get paid internships) those positions might give you an interview anyway without having a degree. Sometimes it's only 'preferred'.

You've got a lot of office type work experience, which I'm sure will go down well with a lot of employers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
Have you thought about marketing/PR? You mentioned music journalism, well marketing/PR will use some creativity and your admin experience will be very useful gaining an initial job. I'm not sure how many opportunities there are for people without degrees - a lot of jobs just require a 2.1 in any discipline (because they can, not because it's really required for the job). However, I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a job in a small marketing consultancy or a marketing department within a company. Then you can work your way up to higher positions. If you find the right company they might even fund you to take on some marketing qualifications while you're working. It's also a very common job you'll find it in most if not all cities.

Also, a lot of positions might advertise that they want a degree, but if you have a lot of admin experience already and take on a couple of internships (you could even get paid internships) those positions might give you an interview anyway without having a degree. Sometimes it's only 'preferred'.

You've got a lot of office type work experience, which I'm sure will go down well with a lot of employers.

That's a really good suggestion. What sort of skills would be needed for Marketing?
Reply 26
I'm just bumping this to see if anyone else can offer any words of wisdom.
A bit of a random suggestion - would you consider doing a bit of work experience/volunteering? I know it's not ideal but it'd be a way of trying out different positions and industries, if you're unsure of what you want to do.
Reply 28
I've been doing music journalism voluntarily for 3 years, so I'd prefer not to spend any more time doing unpaid work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending