The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyab
because i get with it:
identity protection alert (i get to check my credit score for free -which is handy because i have a credit card and want to build my credit rating up)
green flag breakdown cover
travel insurance
mobile phone insurance
gadget insurance; for like laptop, camera, ipod ect..
and other things that arent really relevent like discounts at places.
it would work out more expensive if i bought it all seperately. and it means i dont need to worry about having loads of seperate things and renewing them all ect.

woah that sounds amazing! which bank is that? sorry if you've already said, I can't seem to find the post where you first mentioned it.
Wow. I'm doing my A-Levels at the moment and thought it would be interesting to look in here, but wow I'm surprised at how little students have to live off a week. £40 a week?! But, at the same time it seems quite fun because you have to budget...anyway good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 142
Original post by *...smiling away....*
woah that sounds amazing! which bank is that? sorry if you've already said, I can't seem to find the post where you first mentioned it.

i havent said :smile: its a yorkshire bank signature current account. im not having a student account with them, im going for halifax for that.
yorkshire bank dont offer interest free overdrafts for students. im just keeping this current account for my wages to go in and to keep all those benefits :smile:
Original post by pessimist
But, at the same time it seems quite fun because you have to budget

Budgeting is fun to you? :holmes:
Original post by lucyab
i havent said :smile: its a yorkshire bank signature current account. im not having a student account with them, im going for halifax for that.
yorkshire bank dont offer interest free overdrafts for students. im just keeping this current account for my wages to go in and to keep all those benefits :smile:

Thank you! Thats interesting my friend had an account with them in first year and could never find a branch haha. But with all those benefits it sounds so worth it! have you considered natwest for your student account? just that if you're moving out for uni, the network railcard to give you will save you SO much on transport
Original post by RibenaRockstar
their shorter terms go some way to mitigating it.

That and very generous bursaries.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Budgeting is fun to you? :holmes:

Yeah :colondollar: I just find it interesting how people can spend certain amounts of money on different things and save certain amounts :redface:
Reply 147
Thank you! Thats interesting my friend had an account with them in first year and could never find a branch haha. But with all those benefits it sounds so worth it! have you considered natwest for your student account? just that if you're moving out for uni, the network railcard to give you will save you SO much on transport

yeah i looked into that but theyve changed it now. apparently you can only get that railcard if you previously had a normal current account with them for a certain amount of time before applying for your student account :frown:
i dont know if it makes any difference but i live in yorkshire, theres loads of branches here haha. i know so many people with yorkshire bank accounts!
for some reason as well, i get paid on a thursday, but my wage goes into my bank account at like 11 o clock on the wednesday evening. some friends i work with who have different bank accounts dont get it till late the thursday morning. i know people probably think that it doesnt matter, but my step dad gets paid at the same time as me, so we always go for a midnight weekly shop in tesco haha.
i chose halifax because of their overdraft in the first year, i wont use all that, hopefuly not any at all but it comes in handy in emergencies :smile:
Well if I got an en-suite like I want approximately £5-10. Since starving doesn't seem like a good idea for me I'll go for one without an en-suite, which probably will leave me with about £20-30 to live on. I WISH I had a full grant :frown: I'm relying on getting a part time job.
Original post by lucyab
yeah i looked into that but theyve changed it now. apparently you can only get that railcard if you previously had a normal current account with them for a certain amount of time before applying for your student account :frown:
i dont know if it makes any difference but i live in yorkshire, theres loads of branches here haha. i know so many people with yorkshire bank accounts!
for some reason as well, i get paid on a thursday, but my wage goes into my bank account at like 11 o clock on the wednesday evening. some friends i work with who have different bank accounts dont get it till late the thursday morning. i know people probably think that it doesnt matter, but my step dad gets paid at the same time as me, so we always go for a midnight weekly shop in tesco haha.
i chose halifax because of their overdraft in the first year, i wont use all that, hopefuly not any at all but it comes in handy in emergencies :smile:

Oh thats annoying about Natwest! They must have cottoned on to the fact it was too good a deal haha. Aww thats really sweet about your midnight shops, that would definitely be enough to make me keep the account :biggrin: it sounds like you've thought of everything, I'm sure you'll be fine. Its amazing how quickly budgeting just becomes second nature once you start. Best of luck at uni :smile:
Reply 150
Oh thats annoying about Natwest! They must have cottoned on to the fact it was too good a deal haha. Aww thats really sweet about your midnight shops, that would definitely be enough to make me keep the account :biggrin: it sounds like you've thought of everything, I'm sure you'll be fine. Its amazing how quickly budgeting just becomes second nature once you start. Best of luck at uni :smile:

yeah im guessing so! must have been expensive for them to be honest. haha yeah i like it its quiet! and i definitely have i plan too far ahead ha. i cant wait though :smile: and thank you!
Hi guys, can I get your take on this. I am starting Uni in Scotland in September this year. No fees. My parents are divorced, however my father is making a contribution towards my university education. He is proposing to pay me £800 per month for each month of my university term, and £200 for each month of the summer holiday. However, given I will be living at home and have to pay my mother board and lodgings I just don't feel this is enough. My father has said if it is not enough and my mother is not prepared to make a contribution that I have to either get a part time job or get a student loan. I don't want to get a student loan and be in debt... and I don't see why I should have to get a part time job either, I feel my father should be paying me more. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Original post by snowdropinsummer
Hi guys, can I get your take on this. I am starting Uni in Scotland in September this year. No fees. My parents are divorced, however my father is making a contribution towards my university education. He is proposing to pay me £800 per month for each month of my university term, and £200 for each month of the summer holiday. However, given I will be living at home and have to pay my mother board and lodgings I just don't feel this is enough. My father has said if it is not enough and my mother is not prepared to make a contribution that I have to either get a part time job or get a student loan. I don't want to get a student loan and be in debt... and I don't see why I should have to get a part time job either, I feel my father should be paying me more. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Prepare to get shot down over what you have written here. £800 a month? I would take my arm off if I was able to have an income of £800 a month for the next three years whilst I do my degree. After paying my bills and my travel tickets to get to Uni, I will be living on £65 a week when I go to Uni, or around £275 a month. You should be glad that your Father is supporting you. I know some poor swines on here who have to get students loans, not entitled to any form of grant, and their parents are not giving them a penny. You should be grateful, and you need to wise up too. Also, why should you not get a PT job? Nothing wrong with paying you're own way.

That's definitely enough! Say you're paying your mother £70pw for accommodation and £30pw for food. You'll have to save a bit throughout the academic year for the summer holiday but during term time most students have less than £800
Reply 154
Even if you were paying your mum £150 a week, you'd have £50 left over! I personally think he's been generous with it!
Maybe you'll have to get a part time job to help you out? Or take the loan!
At the age of 18, you shouldn't be relying on parents for everything!
I'm going to be getting no financial support from my family, so I'll have to get a job!
I live at home, since university is very close.

However being a design student, I constantly buy materials. I also buy meals outside on my own ...
I would assume that I spend around £40 a week for university materials and recreational purposes. Its not consistent every week, so I do have ups and downs with my money :tongue:
Once I find a new job I'll most likely spend more though.

I converted my currency into GBP for everyone's comfort.
(edited 11 years ago)

You're going to get some pissed off replies. It will be fine. I have a student loan and with the help from my parents, that's about what I get. I have more than enough. I don't get what you're worrying about?
Reply 157
Original post by ainiis
How much do u spend on "uni-things" like photocopies, textbooks...?

If you can get a printer for £50 or less, I'd strongly recommend it! Depending where you go, printing will probably be reasonably inexepnsive but when you have deadlines coming up you do NOT want to be fighting to get access to a printer or having to top up your credit in a library! You can always group together with the people you live with to buy a communual one.

Textbooks depends on the subject, but I'm a 2nd year law student and bought all my books for £100 over the summer (amazon 2nd hand). Because law goes out of date really quickly I had to check editions and if the recommended book was 2years old or more, I assumed it would be replaced that year so bought a different one instead. That was 11 books. And then I've got revision guides which were £50 for 5, not bad value either.

Your course expenses are likely to be £100-£200, mainly paid at the start of the year, but it does depend a lot on the course you do.
Why is everyone so worried? Get your parents to pay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AndyBoughton
Why is everyone so worried? Get your parents to pay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are a lot of parents out there who are either unable to help their kids at Uni, due to the financial climate, or there are parents out there who are unwilling to help their kids. Not everyone can sponge off their parents, or have parents who can financially help them with University costs.

Latest

Trending

Trending