The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by animelover123
I do the Africa Topic as well, my teacher said it could be social or political, but more likely to be political. Last it was Aid ( Economical) so that (kind of) ruled that out this year. I do South Africa, and its more likely to be Social and Economic this year so NOT Political, therefore, if there were to put one political question in the paper it could be highly likely that they'll put it in th African Theme.

How about you, what predictions have you got?

I'm talking about the other African section (The one that doesnt involve South Africa). Ehh my school has given little information on predicitons but from what I can pick up from School and on this forum-

USA- Ethnic minorities impact on elections OR Social and economic impact of minorities

Voting System question, STV/AMS vs FPTP.

Development in Africa- Social, Political and Economic issues in Africa

Health & Wealth- Lifestyle affects Health

China- I have no idea! :frown:
Reply 121
I'm beginning to think my school is the only school to do China as a topic. Has anyone been given predictions for this?
Original post by hendycfc
I'm talking about the other African section (The one that doesnt involve South Africa). Ehh my school has given little information on predicitons but from what I can pick up from School and on this forum-

USA- Ethnic minorities impact on elections OR Social and economic impact of minorities

Voting System question, STV/AMS vs FPTP.

Development in Africa- Social, Political and Economic issues in Africa

Health & Wealth- Lifestyle affects Health

China- I have no idea! :frown:

That was what i was talking about, its unlikely to be Economic Issues. I say either Social or Political. I do Africa and South Africa, 3A and 3E, si its confusing.:colondollar:
Reply 123
Original post by jazzymina
Could somebody please explain to me how to answer the question, To what extent do ethnic minorities achieve the American Dream?

thanks alot :smile:

What I've been told is that it's basically just; "To what extent do ethnic minorities continue to experience social and economic inequalities?" but you have to link it back to the ideals of the american dream at the end.

So, for example, Poverty is an economic factor but also relates to the american dream idea of everyone being able to work their way out of poverty - can ethnic minorities do this as easily as whites?
Does anyone else feel vaguely intimidated by the sheer volume of stuff we have to know?
I've just started revising Health and Wealth and it's so mind-numbingly dull! I also hate the fact that I have to check if my statistics are up to date or not.
Original post by Grozdova.
I've just started revising Health and Wealth and it's so mind-numbingly dull! I also hate the fact that I have to check if my statistics are up to date or not.

Tell me about it. I have a practice DME tomorrow for which we haven't been told what to learn for BK so it looks like I'm going to have to start trawling through my enormous folder tonight...:cool:
Don't worry too much about your statistics. As long as they're fairly recent (up to 5/6 years ago) you'll be fine.
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Does anyone else feel vaguely intimidated by the sheer volume of stuff we have to know?

i'm a bit worried. i've spent my entire last 2 months studying for biology and maths that I know it to death because i was sure moddies didn't need too much work, now i trawl through papers it looks like i'm going to need to know tons of essays, and predictions can never be to accurate so its not asif we can only learn 4 and hope they come up! panic mode
Original post by JackoGeddes
i'm a bit worried. i've spent my entire last 2 months studying for biology and maths that I know it to death because i was sure moddies didn't need too much work, now i trawl through papers it looks like i'm going to need to know tons of essays, and predictions can never be to accurate so its not asif we can only learn 4 and hope they come up! panic mode

Yeah, same here. Although there are some essays which I'm fairly sure we won't have to know. Take voting behaviour, for example, which featured last year and the year before. Meh...I just want an A and then I can burn my notes! :colondollar:
Reply 129
Original post by ladymarshmallow

Definitely. That and the fact that my teacher reminded us today we only have two weekends left before the exam!:eek: Well that's come around quickly...
Reply 130
Original post by skier16
What I've been told is that it's basically just; "To what extent do ethnic minorities continue to experience social and economic inequalities?" but you have to link it back to the ideals of the american dream at the end.

So, for example, Poverty is an economic factor but also relates to the american dream idea of everyone being able to work their way out of poverty - can ethnic minorities do this as easily as whites?

Yeah i noticed the question used the same stuff as for the question you said so i got a bit confused what the difference between the questions were. Thanks a lot for helping :smile:!
Reply 131
If anybody knows any predictions for the devolved making in Scotland, it will be much appreciated :biggrin: everybody seems to have predictions on other topics and not this :frown:
Original post by jazzymina
ahhhh did you find out any other possible questions? thank you so much! will you bother revising voting behaviours? cant see it coming up 3 times in a row but might be a trick

Also on the voting systems, would you need to revise PR in general against FPTP or just AMS.. STV.. party list V STV :smile:

Yeah! think it will be FPTP vs a pr system so just learn all about ams stv list etc! good luck to yous too!!
Reply 133
Original post by animelover123
That was what i was talking about, its unlikely to be Economic Issues. I say either Social or Political. I do Africa and South Africa, 3A and 3E, si its confusing.:colondollar:

WHAT?

I didn't realise they could do seperate essay on each. We have only done an easy containing all three which compares which is the most important.

Aww naww, this isn't good :frown:
Reply 134
Original post by xscottishx
Yeah! think it will be FPTP vs a pr system so just learn all about ams stv list etc! good luck to yous too!!

really hope its AMS :frown: havent learned party list yet because everybody seems to think its going to be STV or AMS?? ahhhhhh confusing :smile:

Original post by Bromaldehyde
Why is there two threads ?

Could a moderator please merge both ?

Your wish is my command. :yy: You can use the "Report post" function for this sort of thing in future though. :smile:

Keep all discussion on the Higher mods exam in this thread please guys! :smile:

Oh, and good luck! Modern Studies is awesome. :awesome:
Just me? i've spent most of my time hammering biology and maths papers to the point i'm comfortably in the A bracket in both, but haven't in all honesty gave moddies a real look over. I get 11+ in essays and 15+ in DME's and the prelim went okay (given we knew the questions) i got 72%, but now with the exam looming reading possible questions and the load we actually to need to do i'm starting to panic.. feel like it's just so overwhelming :frown:

what are your guys plans of action? i was going to begin rereading all my notes and structuring plans for each essay while practicing the more key essays and being able to do them in 22.5 minutes

also, anyone got any predictions? i'm guessing voting systems has a big shout, UK will probably be health/wealth, lifestyle/wealth or government policies tackling eco and social problems, the US i'm not really sure and south africa maybe social and eco? bleeeh :colone:

any tips/help/discussion points? :smile:
Reply 137
hey everyone, basically, what should i revise - answering questions from A4, B5 or B6, C9 and C12, what should i revise out of these sections and what should i not? Please help and reply soon , beginning to panic about this exam haha!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 138
You are probably more likely to get answers if you post this on the modern studies thread :smile:
Reply 139
Original post by JackoGeddes
Just me? i've spent most of my time hammering biology and maths papers to the point i'm comfortably in the A bracket in both, but haven't in all honesty gave moddies a real look over. I get 11+ in essays and 15+ in DME's and the prelim went okay (given we knew the questions) i got 72%, but now with the exam looming reading possible questions and the load we actually to need to do i'm starting to panic.. feel like it's just so overwhelming :frown:

what are your guys plans of action? i was going to begin rereading all my notes and structuring plans for each essay while practicing the more key essays and being able to do them in 22.5 minutes

also, anyone got any predictions? i'm guessing voting systems has a big shout, UK will probably be health/wealth, lifestyle/wealth or government policies tackling eco and social problems, the US i'm not really sure and south africa maybe social and eco? bleeeh :colone:

any tips/help/discussion points? :smile:

Trust me it's not just you!:biggrin: I'm was really concentrating on English and Maths and so i'd basically forgotten Modies was in like 3 weeks. My plan is just to write lots of essay plans, learn them and then do a few timed practices.

USA I'm thinking Ethnic Minorities and political participation / representation / progress, and by looking through the other thread most people seem to agree.

meehhh why did I agree to do AH?!?:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending