The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vulpes
Chrosson wrote a script a while back that'll let you dim the brightness of TSR (along with some other really cool features): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2062836&page=4&p=41362180#post41362180

:h:

I shall look into that when have more than 4 minutes left on my study break!
Reply 321
Original post by Dez
How pointlessly pessimistic. Every single one of the feedback posts made last time were read by me and other members of the team, and we made a number of adjustments following the constructive feedback we received.

Do you concede that last time there was a change, there was overwhelming negative feedback?

Following this, would you say it is fair that very few (if any) changes were made of any substance relating to the overwhelming negative feedback?
Pushing the submit button in quickreply or the reply to thread button now crashes my phone (nokia c3) which is my main way of accessing the site.
If you can read this it's because i quoted and then removed the quotation.
Every recent upgrade has made the site harder to use from the phone. I can't see when someone quoted me any more and after the last improvement I need to go to another users profile and pretend to want to send them a pm in order to read pm's that have been sent to me.

I'm probably about one improvement away from being totally unable to use the site tbh.

On the plus side, judging from the comments above, I can't really see much difference from how it used to look :smile:
:biggrin: ha, thanks. Consider it read and responded to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clip
Do you concede that last time there was a change, there was overwhelming negative feedback?

Following this, would you say it is fair that very few (if any) changes were made of any substance relating to the overwhelming negative feedback?

Hey Clip

Last time there was an update there was positive and negative feedback and we worked our way through both to fully understand the issues. We made a large number of revisions based on this clear feedback, in fact much of that feedback has been carried across to this update and lots of people's concerns then are no longer concerns today. We do listen :smile:

Today we'll be reviewing the main feedback in the morning and responding back about each main point. We do need to let people get used to the designs as changing a design can feel jarring immediately after but there are clearly some we can fix quickly. For example, the negative rep icon standing out too much even when a post hasn't been negged.

Speak again soon

Jack

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I can't open spoilers on my iPod touch. May be the same for other mobile devices? :dontknow:
I'm sure a 4 year old can draw a better star than that on the watch buttons.
Original post by This Honest
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I can't open spoilers on my iPod touch. May be the same for other mobile devices? :dontknow:

Several people have reported the same on iOS, though AFAIK Android devices are fine.
Oddly enough, I think the new font looks fantastic when viewing on my phone.

I've mentioned this on three separate occasions and had no official (Capt. Jack) reply. I'm on an iPhone 4s. Android users are apparently ok
Original post by Illusionary
Several people have reported the same on iOS, though AFAIK Android devices are fine.

Original post by tooambitious
I've mentioned this on three separate occasions and had no official (Capt. Jack) reply. I'm on an iPhone 4s. Android users are apparently ok

Alright then, just checking :smile:

I'll have to quote the person and see the spoiler in the reply box for the meantime.

I have that as well :frown:
Original post by SecretDuck
I have that as well :frown:

Only way to see spoilers is to quote the person and see the spoiler in the reply box :sigh:
Original post by tooambitious

It's not always possible to reply directly to every single post made, but all are being read whether or not a direct reply is made :smile:

We do know about the issue with spoiler tags thanks to people reporting it, so it's not being forgotten about.
Reply 334
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Hey Dez, how does the site decide what colour speech bubbles people get as default avvys?

Wasn't actually me who implemented that bit, but I think they're distributed randomly. Although in places other than the thread page we currently only show one default avatar (the yellow/blue one) because the randomisation code doesn't stretch that far yet.

Original post by Clip

There was a lot of negative feedback on the thread, but that's not our only source of feedback. We worked on and improved a number of things that were highlighted back then e.g. distinguishing between read/unread threads.

I think it's fair to say we acted on most of the constructive feedback we received. Feedback like "I don't like it" or "I prefer X", isn't constructive, because it doesn't tell us anything about why something is bad. It's impossible to work with unless we have some idea of what actually needs fixing. I hope that distinction is clear.
Reply 335
The negative rep button is much bolder than the positive rep button.

I also find it hard to distinguish between unread sticky threads and read sticky threads. The symbol stays the same, the only difference is a slight colour change.

Other than that I don't really mind the changes. I can get used to it :smile:.
Reply 336
Original post by Dez
Wasn't actually me

Original post by RK
We do know about the issue with spoiler tags thanks to people reporting it

Do you know about my issue with blue blobs over the orange bits :puppyeyes:
Yeah, the difference between read and unread sticky threads is too hard to see. It's a difference between red and orange, which both look way too similar.

I still think the difference between read/unread threads even on non-sticky threads should be clearer. I was using a script beforehand so it still showed unread threads as bold (like before the previous update), so I didn't pay attention to how it really was. But I have it off now, and the blue/light blue (in my opinion) isn't distinctive enough, especially if you're skimming through - although a lot better than not having it at all, like it was before!

And while it may be true that people may get used to update changes like they did before. That was only because they knew nothing was going to be changed back, so had no choice. I'm pretty certain the vast majority still feel the same way about past updates; still think they bad and shouldn't have changed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 338
Original post by Waterstorm
Yeah, the difference between read and unread sticky threads is too hard to see. It's a difference between red and orange, which both look way too similar.

I still think the difference between read/unread threads even on non-sticky threads should be clearer. I was using a script beforehand so it still showed unread threads as bold (like before the previous update), so I didn't pay attention to how it really was. But I have it off now, and the blue/light blue (in my opinion) isn't distinctive enough, especially if you're skimming through - although a lot better than not having it at all, like it was before!

I actually think they look the opposite way round - the read threads seem more noticable than unread
Regarding the read/unread threads - if for some reason you don't want to make them bold, you could possibly at least make the unread threads a strong dark colour, and the read a lighter colour. Which is what you have done, but just make it with a bigger difference. And if possible, a slight hint of boldness would be perfect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending