The Student Room Group

Studying Geology in Scotland

Hey, it looks like a lot of the posts are dominated by folk studying in England so I thought I'd reach out to students studying/hoping to study Geology in Scotland. I got conditionals from Aberdeen and Glasgow, and am currently deciding which to go for. Anyone in the same boat?
Reply 1
I did first level 1 earth science at Glasgow when I was in first year, it was brilliant :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
so you only did 1 year? why didn't you continue with it, and what kind of things did you cover?
Reply 3
My degree is genetics, earth science was just my third subject in first year but I really enjoyed it and was close to changing to undergrad earth science :P part of me still wishes I had to be honest. Ermmm let me think this about 3 years ago, the lab practicals in first semester were mainly looking at rock samples and learning to identify them etc. Second semester was map drawing. Lectures covered pretty much what youd expect, natural disasters like volcanoes etc, big events in time that caused population crashes/extinctions like the K-Pg impact event, what earth was like during the different geological time periods, a lot of stuff you might find in higher/alevel geography like formation of corries, sand dunes, ocean wave patterns, ripples, a lot more of that. There was also a field trip to holyrood park, edinburgh. It was good but its in autumn/winter and therefore is freezing and rainy.

This was 3 years ago though, courses change a hell of a lot in 1 year never mind 3 at GU, but thats the kinda stuff I studied in first year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
cool, thanks for the info. i already studied it abroad and was very interested in tectonics particularly. I like how varied earth science is.
Reply 5
Cool :smile: I like tectonics too.
And ocean currents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by psychojunglecat
Hey, it looks like a lot of the posts are dominated by folk studying in England so I thought I'd reach out to students studying/hoping to study Geology in Scotland. I got conditionals from Aberdeen and Glasgow, and am currently deciding which to go for. Anyone in the same boat?

I also have offers from both Glasgow (Earth Science), and Aberdeen, MGeol.

I will probably be firming Aberdeen due to the Research project for the MGeol in the 5th year. I'm going to be entering in Year 2 though, as I already satisfy the entrance requirements for the Level 2 entry. I also think Aberdeens' reputation in Geology is going to be a help vocationally, when looking for work and their Oil/Gas industry contacts.
Original post by NHAY86
I also have offers from both Glasgow (Earth Science), and Aberdeen, MGeol.

I will probably be firming Aberdeen due to the Research project for the MGeol in the 5th year. I'm going to be entering in Year 2 though, as I already satisfy the entrance requirements for the Level 2 entry. I also think Aberdeens' reputation in Geology is going to be a help vocationally, when looking for work and their Oil/Gas industry contacts.

I'm tempted to firm my offer for Aberdeen; like you say, the links it has within the gas and oil industry make it second to none for graduate employment. The course is heavily oriented towards that side of things, but I am leaning towards Glasgow since I'm still undecided which direction I'd want to take. At least with Glasgow you can keep your options open within Geology, and still have the choice of specializing within the oil and gas industry later on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending