The Student Room Group

Which university has the best international brand name after Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CEKTOP
Edinburgh's entry requirements recently went through the ground, I know people who got in with BCC and in my college it gave offers to anyone who applied there. So I don't really know why everyone is so hot about Edinburgh.

I am not saying it's "like well amazings". I'm just stating the fact that it, and other Russell Group universities, have produced plenty of major political figures and heads of state. I feel LSE's contribution, relative to other universities, is overstated to some extent.

Plus "royalty" is bull**** nobody cares about.

We were referring to heads of state so this can include Royalty (Queen Elizabeth II, who is the Head of State of the UK, Canada, Australia and all other Commonwealth Realms for example). If you believe that "no one cares about it" then this might demonstrate the very point I was making.

But can you not provide something a little more intelligent and constructive than "royalty is bull****"? This is the Debate forum, after all.
Reply 21
Over here in Holland, only Oxford, Cambridge and LSE are well-known. All the other UK unis are relatively unknown in comparison. However, pretty much all UK unis are well respected over here due to a perceived image of Britain's high education standards.
Reply 22
Original post by {Unregistered}
Depends on which region you're asking about.

In the subcontinent, it would probably be LSE.
In places like Hong Kong and China, it would most definitely be Imperial.

Original post by Joinedup
Globally, it's probably lse.
Reason: Politicians are generally more well known than scientists and engineers.

Imperial for sure. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/world-ranking World university rankings: Imperial 8TH in the world, LSE 39th. Imperial is almost always found in the top 10, and almost always considerably higher than LSE. However, LSE specializes in the humanities and arts, whereas imperial specializes in the sciences, so we can't say that one is better than the other.
Reply 23
Original post by Elix
Over here in Holland, only Oxford, Cambridge and LSE are well-known. All the other UK unis are relatively unknown in comparison. However, pretty much all UK unis are well respected over here due to a perceived image of Britain's high education standards.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012 Imperial = 6th, LSE is somewhere in the top 50 (can't find it). This is all based on reputation, research, ect
Reply 24
Original post by River85
But LSE hasn't really produced many well known politicians anyway?

Have a look at the list, it includes Romano Prodi, George Papandreou, JFK, the Queen of Denmark and recent Prime Ministers and Presidents of Ghana, Japan, India, Kenya ...

Original post by nexttime
... and "London" because its a big city they tend to assume has a university!

Yes ... because there is one. The University of London of which LSE, UCL, King's, Royal Holloway etc. are constituent colleges :wink:
Reply 25
Original post by MENDACIUM
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012 Imperial = 6th, LSE is somewhere in the top 50 (can't find it). This is all based on reputation, research, ect

That could be true, but I am just basing it on name recognition mostly. If you ask a bunch of university goers over here whether they have heard of Imperial College or LSE, most would only be familiar with the latter.
Reply 26
Original post by Sir Fox
Have a look at the list, it includes Romano Prodi, George Papandreou, JFK, the Queen of Denmark and recent Prime Ministers and Presidents of Ghana, Japan, India, Kenya ...

Yes ... because there is one. The University of London of which LSE, UCL, King's, Royal Holloway etc. are constituent colleges :wink:

That's because the offspring of the rich and famous tend to do arts / social sciences rather than pure sciences, hence they end up at LSE rather than Imperial.

Look at the british royal family. Charles and Edward went to Cambridge with BC and CDD A-Level grades respectively. Don't think they'd get into any top uni doing sciences with those grades.
Imperial for sure. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/world-ranking World university rankings: Imperial 8TH in the world, LSE 39th. Imperial is almost always found in the top 10, and almost always considerably higher than LSE. However, LSE specializes in the humanities and arts, whereas imperial specializes in the sciences, so we can't say that one is better than the other.

Do you or are you hoping to attend Imperial or something? :tongue:
Reply 28

Brand name and rankings are not synonymous. As someone has mentioned before King's College and St. Andrews have stronger international brand names than UCL or Warwick, despite differences in rankings and league tables.
Depends on the course.

LSE Economics is probably even better than Oxbridge.

However Engineering at Imperial is also internationally recognised.
Which universities have the most toffs and Bullingdon Clubs?

Hmm ..... difficult one.
Reply 31
Over all subjects:

Cambridge #1
Oxford #2
Imperial #3
UCL #4
University of Edinburgh #5

source: http://metauniversityranking.wordpress.com/worlds-top-50-universities-metascore/
Reply 32
Original post by CEKTOP
LSE. Without a question. It's extremely well-known in the financial sector.

The financial sector is only a small part of the world. I agree though that at least in North America, the two biggest brands outside of Oxford and Cambridge would have to be St Andrews and LSE, the gap between Oxbridge and St Andrews and LSE is quite big though. Most laymen would have heard of Oxford.

Imperial, UCL and LSE probably carry more weight in Europe and Asia than St Andrews does.

For people who don't know UCL, the name University College London would lead most to believe that its not a full university and only a university college. College in Canada for example is a trade school.
Reply 33
Original post by ukmed108
The financial sector is only a small part of the world. I agree though that at least in North America, the two biggest brands outside of Oxford and Cambridge would have to be St Andrews and LSE, the gap between Oxbridge and St Andrews and LSE is quite big though. Most laymen would have heard of Oxford.

Imperial, UCL and LSE probably carry more weight in Europe and Asia than St Andrews does.

For people who don't know UCL, the name University College London would lead most to believe that its not a full university and only a university college. College in Canada for example is a trade school.

The Oxbridge/LSE gap is virtually nonexistent in terms of financial sector employment, all three are equally great in this regard. The financial sector represents thousands of highly paid and exiting jobs which are actively sought by many graduates and having a degree from LSE or an equally good and well-known institution is definitely a leg up.

I believe that laymen are irrelevant when it comes to employment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending