The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ukdragon37
What's wrong with "subset"? That's common-enough English AFAIK :tongue:

Also OMG WAH WTF happened to TSR? It's like it's been drawn in crayon by a three-year-old.

I don't know anyone (other than probably me) who would use it in every day language. I am from Manchester though.

Awful isn't it.
Original post by fowlerbean
What options are you thinking of choosing in the tripos? :biggrin:

Definitely Chemistry, then probably Biology of cells and maybe Elvolution and Behaviour...quite unsure about which biology ones to take, plus some of the physical modules look really interesting! Probably straight Mathematics as well, rather than Mathematical Biology. How about you?
Just seen the entry stats from the cycle just gone. Hahahahaha, past me was an absolute idiot. Jesus, so glad I didn't know that King's had suddenly decided to drop the natsci intake, else I would have been repeatedly face-desking on the run up to interview. :lol:
Reply 2303
Original post by bananarama2
I don't know anyone (other than probably me) who would use it in every day language. I am from Manchester though.

Awful isn't it.

Other than probably you?

But if we let n = the set of people you know who speak in everyday language; is n large enough such that your hypothesis is statistically significant?

Edit:
No offence intended in relation to the size of your n. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FO12DY
Other than probably you?

But if we let n = the set of people you know who speak in everyday language; is n large enough such that your hypothesis is statistically significant?

Edit:
No offence intended in relation to the size of your n. :wink:

It sounds like something I'd say.

My size of n would be quite large. You hear people speak all over the country by various mediums and I've yet to heard someone use it casually.
Original post by Oromis263
Just seen the entry stats from the cycle just gone. Hahahahaha, past me was an absolute idiot. Jesus, so glad I didn't know that King's had suddenly decided to drop the natsci intake, else I would have been repeatedly face-desking on the run up to interview. :lol:

Do you just feel smug now then?
Do you just feel smug now then?

No, if anything it's made me more worried. :tongue: Everyone else is going to be super awesome and I'll be like hurr potato.

King's took absolutely no-one from the pool, their statistics actually scare me a little :lol:
Emmanuel and Pembroke were really popular in general and scary in certain subjects. But King's takes the prize..
No, if anything it's made me more worried. :tongue: Everyone else is going to be super awesome and I'll be like hurr potato.

enjoy the fact that you have an unconditional before actually having to do any work!
Some of us gap year kingsmen have to take exams:frown:
Original post by ben-smith
enjoy the fact that you have an unconditional before actually having to do any work!
Some of us gap year kingsmen have to take exams:frown:

True. Best of luck with STEP. Rooting for you. (y)

Original post by Llewellyn
King's took absolutely no-one from the pool, their statistics actually scare me a little :lol:
Emmanuel and Pembroke were really popular in general and scary in certain subjects. But King's takes the prize..

Yep. It is rather ridiculous.

Emmanuel and Pembroke were really popular in general and scary in certain subjects.

Which subjects?
Which subjects?

Like I said they are both generally popular universally. But Emmanuel for Computer Science was a little silly and Pembroke for VetMed, NatSci, Medicine and Law were all very hard (numbers wise).http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/ if you want to see for yourself.

You know a college is oversubscribed for a subject when more of their applicants get offers through the pool than directly.
Like I said they are both generally popular universally. But Emmanuel for Computer Science was a little silly and Pembroke for VetMed, NatSci, Medicine and Law were all very hard (numbers wise).http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/ if you want to see for yourself.

You know a college is oversubscribed for a subject when more of their applicants get offers through the pool than directly.

I didn't meet any compscis at my interview :tongue: Wow, yeh Pembroke is....er interesting. I don't think it's beyond normal fluctuation though. Thanks.

Haha :tongue:

Surely that graph shows only the college that gave the offer ( I got pooled from Clare to Magdalene, and there are no pool offers recorded for clare for my subject)? How can you know how many of the applicants were given a direct offer and how many pooled?
Original post by bellatrixb
Surely that graph shows only the college that gave the offer ( I got pooled from Clare to Magdalene, and there are no pool offers recorded for clare for my subject)? How can you know how many of the applicants were given a direct offer and how many pooled?

You need to filter by college and subject to see winter pool offers. If there is no purple bar then that means no one was given an offer through the pool.
(You also need to check all of the ticks if you haven't already).
Just firmed Cambridge woo

It's not reflected in the Cambridge stats but there were around 8 Maths applicants for Pembroke on TSR, which made for some interesting competition...
Original post by DJMayes
It's not reflected in the Cambridge stats but there were around 8 Maths applicants for Pembroke on TSR, which made for some interesting competition...

A true confidence boost when you meet LOTF, at the inverview :rolleyes:
Reply 2318
Original post by climberkid
Just firmed Cambridge woo

Me too! Feels good right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emmav123
Me too! Feels good right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it does :smile: I was really unsure for a ages about whether it'd be right for me ... thought the work would be too much etc, but now I've done it I feel pretty excited.

Latest

Trending

Trending