The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by x_x
Bring Verdana back!

This. Pretty please?
Original post by Dez
Yes, sorry, that's been filed as a bug. Hard to keep up with all the replies!

Lol, don't worry, I understand. I was just playing devil's advocate.

Still dislike te design, but there are some things that are better...
Original post by RK
Dez may not have directly replied you about this issue, but I did. So you can't be expecting everyone to be responding to each post, can you :wink:

This specific issue is one of the things we've got in the system to be worked on.

I also believe we can expect a more general response about wider reported concerns soon. As with all large updates, there's been a lot of talking and planning going on today sorting through the feedback (thank you to all who've been helpful in sharing this with us). So things are moving :biggrin:

You replied to me 16hrs after I raised the issue. After the 3rd/4th time I mentioned it.
I only raised the issue because Dez was suggesting you were doing a stellar job and making sure you replied to all complaints. Let's be honest, you're not.
I understand why, but the reply to fill of surprises really rustled my jimmies 'oh it's not my role so of course I don't do it' mate, you weren't fulfilling your role anyway (ok you were, but it took ages. Stil no change either btw). I don't expect a 'magic wand' as Dez put it, but at least admit the faults.

As I said, I wasnt cruelly bothered but was Dez said was a bit irritating in this context.
Reply 363
Original post by tooambitious

I only raised the issue because Dez was suggesting you were doing a stellar job and making sure you replied to all complaints. Let's be honest, you're not.

If that's how you interpreted Dez's post, then fair enough, but I don't think that's what he meant.

What he said was "I've replied to a few points with what info I have" and that if he hasn't replied to a point it's because he feels it's more of a design complant than a dev complaint, and he's a developer not a designer. But all posts (even those that haven't been replied to) have still been read, taken on board, and currently being discussed.

In short he said all complaints have been read, not all complaints have been replied to.

I agree that several things need to be looked at and possibly changed, but please have a little bit of patience and understanding. TSR does have limited dev staff and it's only been a day since the changes were made. At this moment in time they are still trying to gather feedback and evaluate the situation and where to go.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by River85
If that's how you interpreted Dez's post, then fair enough, but I don't think that's what he meant.

What he said was "I've replied to a few points with what info I have" and that if he hasn't replied to a point it's because he feels it's more of a design complant than a dev complaint, and he's a developer not a designer. But all posts (even those that haven't been replied to) have still been read, taken on board, and currently being discussed.

In short he said all complaints have been read, not all complaints have been replied to.

I agree that several things need to be looked at and possibly changed, but please have a little bit of patience and understanding. TSR does have limited dev staff and it's only been a day since the changes were made. At this moment in time they are still trying to gather feedback and evaluate the situation and where to go.

It was this post "If I've not commented on an issue it's not because I've ignored it, it's because I don't have anything to say about it. I'm a developer, not a designer."
I merely pointed out that no developer responded to me (well, ok, after 16 hours)
You replied to me 16hrs after I raised the issue. After the 3rd/4th time I mentioned it.
I understand why, but the reply to fill of surprises really rustled my jimmies 'oh it's not my role so of course I don't do it' mate, you weren't fulfilling your role anyway (ok you were, but it took ages. Stil no change either btw). I don't expect a 'magic wand' as Dez put it, but at least admit the faults.

As I said, I wasnt cruelly bothered but was Dez said was a bit irritating in this context.

I think we replied to you in a decent time them...as 16 hours after you posted means you posted last night about 8pm. As surprising as it might be we do need a home life and sleep :tongue:

(Though I was posting a bit from home last night)

Yeah, we could have responded to you sooner this morning, but I was making notes on feedback from this thread and grouping it together, and then was discussing it with Captain Jack. As much as I'd like it to, working at TSR sadly doesn't just involve posting on the site :frown:

So have a little patience! We've hopefully reassured you we are reading all feedback, whether directly responded to or not and are reviewing what to do.
(edited 11 years ago)
It was this post "If I've not commented on an issue it's not because I've ignored it, it's because I don't have anything to say about it. I'm a developer, not a designer."
I merely pointed out that no developer responded to me (well, ok, after 16 hours)

It's called "patience".

Unfortunately I'm on my mobile at the moment so can't check the timestamps but might I suggest thinking why RK might have not posted until 16 hours after it was first raised: remember that the staff are human, they don't live on TSR and tbh if they're anything like me the last thing they want to do when getting home from work is to keep on doing work - have patience: there's a limited number of staff, who aren't able to be online 24/7 - some complaints may take time to be responded to and depending on the issue in question they can take a while to fix.

Well, they've responded to most: there's no reason to respond to "it's rubbish": it doesn't help the admin work on improving aspects of the update, likewise responding to the same complaint made repeatedly wastes time that could be better used fixing the issue.

I understand why, but the reply to fill of surprises really rustled my jimmies 'oh it's not my role so of course I don't do it' mate, you weren't fulfilling your role anyway (ok you were, but it took ages. Stil no change either btw). I don't expect a 'magic wand' as Dez put it, but at least admit the faults

The staff have been taking notes of issues and admitting the major ones: I don't know what you're expecting - for people just to snap their fingers and the kinks to be worked out like that? It doesn't work like that, fixing bugs can be a rather arduous process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stray_talk
People don't like change. They grumble about it, get uppity and then get over it. It's happened before and will always happen with changes to the layout etc.

Yes, it irritates me when working things are changed to things that aren't obviously better for no obvious reason other than to justify developers' salaries, but you can't explain the many comments like "I find this difficult to read" on the basis that it's just different. It's still hard to read, it's still garish and overly bright, and thus hard to look at for a long time, and it still looks like the designers made a serious mistake as to the age bracket for which they were designing.

I personally would like to hear an explanation of the policy behind the move. What are they aiming for, here?

The colours and fonts are my (the?) main issue*. The problems with readability and garishness and childishness can mostly be traced to those two factors. I'd like to hear what exactly is the problem with allowing users to choose their own colour scheme, as used to be possible.

edit: *though the enormous buttons won't look great in any font or colour.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RK
I think we replied to you in a decent time them...as 16 hours after you posted means you posted last night about 8pm. As surprising as it might be we do need a home life and sleep :tongue:

(Though I was posting a bit from home last night)

Yeah, we could have responded to you sooner this morning, but I was making notes on feedback from this thread and grouping it together, and then was discussing it with Captain Jack. As much as I'd like it to, working at TSR sadly doesn't just involve posting on the site :frown:

So have a little patience! We've hopefully reassured you we are reading all feedback, whether directly responded to or not and are reviewing what to do.

Maybe I haven't made myself clear: I'm playing devil's advocate BECAUSE of Dez's post. Before then I hadn't complained (I had said I was getting frustrated in one post because I wasn't certain it wasn't my fault and had no way of verifying). I'm not really bothered. My point is, don't argue as if you it's outrageous for 'full of surprises' to complain, on the basis that it's not your job given you haven't fulfilled your job requirement first.

I don't really know why I'm arguing. I really don't care, just surprised so many people felt the need to reply to me
It's called "patience".

See above
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Unfortunately I'm on my mobile at the moment so can't check the timestamps but might I suggest thinking why RK might have not posted until 16 hours after it was first raised: remember that the staff are human, they don't live on TSR and tbh if they're anything like me the last thing they want to do when getting home from work is to keep on doing work - have patience: there's a limited number of staff, who aren't able to be online 24/7 - some complaints may take time to be responded to and depending on the issue in question they can take a while to fix.

See above for a response about my patience.

Well, they've responded to most: there's no reason to respond to "it's rubbish" :rolleyes: I think the major point here, is that the issue I raised wasn't simply 'it's rubbish' was it? Turns out its a bug/glitch: it doesn't help the admin work on improving aspects of the update, likewise responding to the same complaint made repeatedly (I was the first (of only 2/3 I've seen) so hardly 'repeatdely') wastes time that could be better used fixing the issue.

The staff have been taking notes of issues and admitting the major ones: I don't know what you're expecting - for people just to snap their fingers and the kinks to be worked out like that? It doesn't work like that, fixing bugs can be a rather arduous process.

I wasn't really expecting anything, but I would suggest some acknowledgement when people have raised genuine issues. From the lack of communication I believe perhaps my phone was broken or I was pressing the spoiler button stupidly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know of you were replying to me at all, becaus nothing you said was specific to my case (except the time)...
It's called "patience".

He/she is obviously too ambitious for an answer. Duh.
Original post by thunder_chunky
He/she is obviously too ambitious for an answer. Duh.

Don't understand the joke, sorry
Reply 374

And chances are you probably won't hear from a "designer" at all, but you will hear from someone from the Community Team. And you did, RK. Yes, it was a number of hours after your post but unfortunately this is a fast moving thread, there are many people to reply to, and many things to sort out. Plus even paid staff need to go home, sleep and eat.

Dez didn't reply (until recently) as there are many posts to read and reply to, and he is busy, so unfortunately forgot to reply. However, as RK replied and already told you it's a known problem and is being looked in to, what extra would you expect from Dez?

Members of the Community Team, as well as Developers, spend much of their time behind the scenes on TSR and often have little time to post on the site (I bet many will want to post more than they do) but we have seen several posting in this thread, including one or two long quotes. That you haven't heard from them as much as you'd like isn't a sign that you're being ignored, it's a sign that they are very busy discussing this and trying to sort things out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by River85
And chances are you probably won't hear from a "designer" at all, but you will hear from someone from the Community Team. And you did, RK. Yes, it was a number of hours after your post but unfortunately this is a fast moving thread, there are many people to reply to, and many things to sort out. Plus even paid staff need to go home, sleep and eat.

Dez didn't reply (until recently) as there are many posts to read and reply to, and he is busy, so unfortunately forgot to reply. However, as RK replied and already told you it's a known problem and is being looked in to, what extra would you expect from Dez?

Members of the Community Team, as well as Developers, spend much of their time behind the scenes on TSR and often have little time to post on the site (I bet many will want to post more than they do) but we have seen several posting in this thread, including one or two long quotes. That you haven't heard from them as much as you'd like isn't a sign that you're being ignored, it's a sign that they are very busy discussing this and trying to sort things out.

:sigh:
Reply 376
Original post by Alpha510
I preferred the last design... more professional.

This one looks like we are in a cartoon movie. :/

My thoughts exactly. I cried a bit inside when I saw the change. Looks messy and like a really early computer programme. The old looked much neater and more modern.
I think someone likes padding a bit too much.
Original post by MissDavies
I really don't like it, it looks far too cartoony.

Guess we'll all just get used to it though.

No, it's difficult for me to read and so I'll be minimising time spent on here.
Reply 379
How do you change it back?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending