The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

in other news this new format/design is vile
Original post by sarahiscool
guess who now officially only has 9 gcse's left :woo: and i can actually start posting again :biggrin:

I only have 11 left :h: one of which is art and finished in three weeks... By the second week of exams I'll have got rid.of another 2 GCSEs and 2 ASs

Then the week after, another GCSE.

After half term, second week of exams I have the majority of exams!:frown:
Original post by Bluffroom
I do know how need blind works - but what I was meaning was because only around 8 schools in the US are fully intl. need blind - I know how cheap it costs for me to go to Harvard for example - $0 (I would have a $3,000 employment contribution though) I know how the FA system works but if you go to somewhere like Stanford there is a good chance you won't be aided still - it was 50/50 at Stanford for example.

Columbia has an even worse rate for example (somewhere I want to go to potentially) - Another factor is that even if you get offered it it isn't always the whole 4 years. That's why for example Chicago is desirable to me because firstly it is world class but secondly I have a 100% chance of financial aid.

Don't assume that I'm uninformed as I have read a lot about it. I said that you would need a lot probably - because for example if I got into Columbia - which had a 186 aid rate to 498 applicants - I would have a good chance that I still wouldn't be aided.

EDIT: Did you know Cornell is Need-blind but does NOT meet your full need? and for University of Chicago, 387 total internationals were admitted and 57 received an average aid amount of $41,061. So, UChicago is not more favourable and again the 330 are full paying students who did not apply for aid/incomes and assets surpassed the financial aid limit.

Also a lot of good Unis aren't even included - such as Johns Hopkins or Cornell. They may have the ability to do so but just because they do doesn't mean you will get it. You may not get full cover either which can be an issue as you would have to still take out a large loan which would bear down on you.

(but there will be people who don't need the aid though who don't get it so that has to be accounted for)

Important thing to note: Need-blind does not equal Full-need met. The former means that your ability to pay is not considered in the admissions process so it is genuinely an admissions benefit, not a financial aid one.

Stanford is a need-aware school that meets your full financial need determined by the forms your parents fill out regarding their income and assets. Need-aware admissions means if the financial aid pot has "dried-up" and they don;t have enough to fund you, they reject you. If you get in, they will meet all your need. There has never been a scenario where one gets in and gets no aid (unless they have wealthy parents or parents who earn over $260,000 a year)..

I'm not implying you are uninformed in general about the admissions process, i'm just saying you are uninformed on the realities of financial aid in the United States

"for example if I got into Columbia - which had a 186 aid rate to 498 applicants" Those are the amount that have applied for aid, the 498 is the TOTAL amount of students admitted, the rest are full pay. If you don't apply, you won't get any. Don't get that confused. No reputable need-aware school will admit you unless they think you can afford their education.

Sorry if this is long and patronising. I just want to clear up a few of your points so you don't miss out on applying to some great schools. I have spent the past 3 years researching all this, interviewed cousins, friends and strangers going to the states for college - I know what I'm talking about.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Important thing to note: Need-blind does not equal Full-need met. The former means that your ability to pay is not considered in the admissions process so it is genuinely an admissions benefit, not a financial aid one.

Stanford is a need-aware school that meets your full financial need determined by the forms your parents fill out regarding their income and assets. Need-aware admissions means if the financial aid pot has "dried-up" and they don;t have enough to fund you, they reject you. If you get in, they will meet all your need. There has never been a scenario where one gets in and gets no aid (unless they have wealthy parents or parents who earn over $260,000 a year)..

I'm not implying you are uninformed in general about the admissions process, i'm just saying you are uninformed on the realities of financial aid in the United States

"for example if I got into Columbia - which had a 186 aid rate to 498 applicants" Those are the amount that have applied for aid, the rest are full pay. If you don't apply, you won't get any. Don't get that confused.

Sorry if this is long and patronising. I just want to clear up a few of your points so you don't miss out on applying to some great schools.

I know but the vast majority of need-blinds which are actually schools worth going to are full-needs met (Harvard/MIT/Yale etc) - using the calculator for say Harvard I have a zero contribution sans school work.

I haven't really looked into stanford because one of the reasons is that I don't really like super hot weather and Stanford is in a warm part of Cali. I wasn't however aware that places like Stanford would flat out reject you in a situation like that - that's actually interesting as it factors in a lot of schools.. So thanks for the correction :h:

As you already said - it's relieving that, but with the bottom point about not applying - I am sure I mentioned that there are some who don't need it...
(but there will be people who don't need the aid though who don't get it so that has to be accounted for)
- I was implying that they didn't apply but were part of the number, but I was surprised that so many rich people apply - as Columbia doesn't do any scholarships based on merit iirc.

You know more so i don't feel patronized, rather more informed :h:

Is there a concise list of eery school you can apply to with this factor as schools like Cornell weren't included but are need aware/have limited available.
I know but the vast majority of need-blinds which are actually schools worth going to are full-needs met (Harvard/MIT/Yale etc) - using the calculator for say Harvard I have a zero contribution sans school work.

I haven't really looked into stanford because one of the reasons is that I don't really like super hot weather and Stanford is in a warm part of Cali. I wasn't however aware that places like Stanford would flat out reject you in a situation like that - that's actually interesting as it factors in a lot of schools.. So thanks for the correction :h:

As you already said - it's relieving that, but with the bottom point about not applying - I am sure I mentioned that there are some who don't need it... - I was implying that they didn't apply but were part of the number, but I was surprised that so many rich people apply - as Columbia doesn't do any scholarships based on merit iirc.

You know more so i don't feel patronized, rather more informed :h:

Is there a concise list of eery school you can apply to with this factor as schools like Cornell weren't included but are need aware/have limited available.

https://oacac.memberclicks.net/assets/website/intfinaid09.pdf This is a a very all-inclusive list.
Okay. I need some advice, guys. I've had 7 "science" teachers in the past 4 months. I use the term "science" very loosely as one of them answered all my questions with "Your solution lies within. You must think like a scientist." and then simply walked away... :sadnod:

Anyway. The problem is, we've only just started Chemistry 3 (doing Triple Science (new spec) with AQA) and I'm having difficulty with self-teaching as that's what I'm pretty much doing in the lesson. Similarly, I'm also resitting Chemistry 1 (after stupidly deciding not to in January), of which I must self-teach too. My first exam is Biology 3 in 20 days...

Does anyone have any advice for self-teaching? :frown: I have both the AQA and CPG revision guides but no resources. Halp!
(edited 10 years ago)

repped btw,

So no Carnegie Mellon or Duke or Johns Hopkins or Cornell? :sad:
Original post by laylarose
Okay. I need some advice, guys. I've had 7 "science" teachers in the past 4 months. I use the term "science" very loosely as one of them answered all my questions with "Your solution lies within. You must think like a scientist." and then simply walked away... :sadnod:

Anyway. The problem is, we've only just started Chemistry 3 (doing Triple Science (new spec) with AQA) and I'm having difficulty with self-teaching as that's what I'm pretty much doing in the lesson. Similarly, I'm also resitting Chemistry 1 (after stupidly deciding not to in January), of which I must self-teach too. My first exam is Biology 3 in 20 days...

Does anyone have any advice for self-teaching? :frown: I have both the AQA and CPG revision guides but no resources. Halp!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGqabAVv0SRD_SjtodhQPTQ

You can search his channel.. although he may not have all of them :frown:

Good luck!
repped btw,

So no Carnegie Mellon or Duke or Johns Hopkins or Cornell? :sad:

Cornell is on there:

Cornell University NY 1028 $51,714 217 $21,896 $4,751,432
But the others aren't, they do award aid though.

Here's a more complete list, without the stats: sorry wrong link it's this one: http://www.edupass.org/finaid/undergraduate.phtml

I can't find Duke on any of the lists, they do offer aid.
If you want I can pm you the places I'm applying to, that should be good starting point?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jina
I know you didn't want attention but it's your day! :smile: you can do a whole lot more! Get marrrieddd and moree! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I am not into that sort of stuff, I just meant that I got more rights like can get a job and yeh I can get married, but not so early lol.
Most of us are 16.

So many things are legal now :daydreaming:
:sexface::sexface::sexface::sexface::sexface:
That's interesting, so you don't have any exams while on study leave? Our exams are spread out over six weeks so we don't have to go to school within that space of time - i.e. our study leave.

No, I mean my exam is on the 14th May and my study leave starts on the 14th May too .. so basically no study leave :frown:
Original post by Bude8
Most of us are 16.

For you to say something like that is ....completely normal :tongue:
When do the exams start for you guys ? :smile:
Original post by PriyaPaul
For you to say something like that is ....completely normal :tongue:

Yeah, we can get married with parental consent, get an alcoholic drink with a meal if an adult is accompanying us, buy lottery tickets
Original post by Bude8
Most of us are 16.

like anyone actually sticks to that law
Reply 6036
Original post by Bude8
Most of us are 16.

Typical Bude... I'll be one of the last to be 'legal' and lots of people I know are already 'at it'.

the 8th :frown:
Original post by Bude8
Yeah, we can get married with parental consent, get an alcoholic drink with a meal if an adult is accompanying us, buy lottery tickets

yeahhhhh....I know that :tongue:
The only thing I wanna do is get a job ! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

13th may. And thats the first 3:work::frown:

Latest