The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by gemmatovey
I've worked mine out for the 44 week period that my accommodation contract is, so I've excluded summer, but counted christmas and easter

Original post by Rakas21
I've worked mine out for the whole year since i'm going to stay in the city.

Thanks- I'm confused, am going to Hertfordshire, but it doesn't seem to say on the website how many weeks you have halls for... It has the term dates of 23/9 to 23/5 which is 35 week but surely that can't be right!?!

I'll fall a few hundred short of the maximum loan/grant... But my super mum said she'd make it up to the max amount- As her income has increased meaning that my older brother got the maximum loan and she wants to be fair to us, also said she'd give me £100 a month, which I feel is very generous!! My accommodation will cost £95-£118 per week.

I think I will have a surplus of money_ at the moment I am trying to save up by living on £4.50 a day- and doing fine so far.....
Reply 201
Sounds about right.
Reply 202
Original post by Bobbi!
Thanks- I'm confused, am going to Hertfordshire, but it doesn't seem to say on the website how many weeks you have halls for... It has the term dates of 23/9 to 23/5 which is 35 week but surely that can't be right!?!

I'll fall a few hundred short of the maximum loan/grant... But my super mum said she'd make it up to the max amount- As her income has increased meaning that my older brother got the maximum loan and she wants to be fair to us, also said she'd give me £100 a month, which I feel is very generous!! My accommodation will cost £95-£118 per week.

I think I will have a surplus of money_ at the moment I am trying to save up by living on £4.50 a day- and doing fine so far.....

That may well be right! I have a friend who's not at uni for as long as I am, I think it's 38 weeks or something...she was shocked when I said that mine was 44 weeks!

That's good of her, and £100 on top of that will be sufficient....especially if you get the cheaper accommodation! Mine will be £109 p/w for accommodation and I've worked it out that I'll be living on £45 a week...which seems a lot better than what a lot of people on here will be on! (I'm also hoping to get a job transfer) which will mostly go into savings

If you're managing to live off so little already, I think you should be fairly comfortable financially at uni! (Obviously not the life of luxuries, but you won't be living off noodles the whole time!)
Original post by CelticSymphony67
I will tell you all how I'm going to budget for University. I have opened a Savings Account with my bank and I'm having my loan and grant paid into that. Once I get the first instalment, which will be around £2500, I will then divide that into 17 weeks (which takes me to my second instalment date). This will work out at £147 a week, and then I will set up a Standing Order and have that money paid into my Current Account. So it will be like I will be getting a weekly wage.

What about accommodation? If you're in halls that usually comes out once a term and in private accommodation once a month.
Reply 204
I'll be at Durham (theoretically) with a fully catered 33 week let coming in at £180p/w or £6000p/a.

I'll get the maximum loans and grants of around £7700, which would leave me with £53p/w to live on.

Luckily though Durham offers a grand per term off my accommodation bill, leaving me with around £142p/w to live on with no costs for food.

Will definitely have to look into saving some, I've never really had any money so I'm used to living super frugally!
Reply 205
That may well be right! I have a friend who's not at uni for as long as I am, I think it's 38 weeks or something...she was shocked when I said that mine was 44 weeks!

That's good of her, and £100 on top of that will be sufficient....especially if you get the cheaper accommodation! Mine will be £109 p/w for accommodation and I've worked it out that I'll be living on £45 a week...which seems a lot better than what a lot of people on here will be on! (I'm also hoping to get a job transfer) which will mostly go into savings

If you're managing to live off so little already, I think you should be fairly comfortable financially at uni! (Obviously not the life of luxuries, but you won't be living off noodles the whole time!)

I do really want the expensive accommodation because I don't want to share a bathroom!! lol

It really is all about planning if you want to save money- buying things in bulk and that! Good luck!!
Original post by RibenaRockstar
What about accommodation? If you're in halls that usually comes out once a term and in private accommodation once a month.
I have my own house, so I'm ok in that respect. But if one was to live in halls, then you pay your terms accommodation up front, and with the money you have left, divide it by the weeks till the next instalment is due, and budget that way. If one is in private accommodation, pay the rent direct from the savings account, and pay the rest of your months money direct to you're current account.
Reply 207
Original post by Bobbi!
I do really want the expensive accommodation because I don't want to share a bathroom!! lol

It really is all about planning if you want to save money- buying things in bulk and that! Good luck!!

I'm paying £50 per week for a city center ensuite.

If your paying £100 plus its because you were stupid enough to book in spring, they will always lower prices after clearing to fill.
Reply 208
Original post by Rakas21

If your paying £100 plus its because you were stupid enough to book in spring, they will always lower prices after clearing to fill.

I'd hardly call it stupid for thinking ahead and not wanting to leave your living arrangements until the last minute. Plus, many students aren't able to stay on campus when they apply through clearing due to the lack of rooms available
Original post by Rakas21

I wouldn't call ensuring you have a place to live come September stupid. Not all universities will be able to give every student university accommodation, after all.
Original post by vaguity
Budgeting is fun?! You odd person, you :P I'm terrified at the thought of having to live off £40 (or whatever, depends which accommodation I get). I eat so much food, I'm going to be so hungry haha! :frown:

I know, me too :frown: but again, to me it seems like a fun experience to go through.
Everyone is entitled to a tuition loan...then there's a maintenance loan that you can apply for (dependant upon family income as to how much you can receive) and then there's a grant, which you don't have to pay back, but that again, is assessed on family income
The grant and/or maintenance loan are the ones used for you to live on eg accommodation, travel and food, which is what we're on about here

Oh ok thanks!! But is the grant only for UK students? I am from the EU..
Reply 212
To people who are only calculating their money by the amount of weeks they're at uni, I'm just curious to what you plan on doing about money when you're at home if you can't get a job?
Reply 213
I'd hardly call it stupid for thinking ahead and not wanting to leave your living arrangements until the last minute. Plus, many students aren't able to stay on campus when they apply through clearing due to the lack of rooms available

Original post by Rakas21

That's not very nice!! It's lucky that you got the deal that you did, but not something that people can rely on!! And it's ironic that you use the incorrect version of 'you're' while calling someone else stupid!!

Original post by vaguity
I wouldn't call ensuring you have a place to live come September stupid. Not all universities will be able to give every student university accommodation, after all.

Thanks for the support guys! :smile:
Reply 214
Original post by lucyab
To people who are only calculating their money by the amount of weeks they're at uni, I'm just curious to what you plan on doing about money when you're at home if you can't get a job?

My parents won't be charging my board (already discussed it with them) and in the summer, where I work will be employing again, so if I text my manager in April/May, she's said that she'll keep a vacancy aside for me if I want it as she'd happily have me back again.
Also, I've calculated my living cost as all weeks but the summer and so when I'm at home for easter/christmas, I'll save those weeks money for the summer
Reply 215
Original post by Bobbi!

Any time! Hate people like that, think they can degrade others for no good reason and throw insults about, does my head in.
Reply 216
Original post by Sarr
I'll get the maximum loans and grants of around £7700,

I think the maximum loan and grant is £7177.

Depending on which accommodation I choose I'll be living off either £105 or £94 or £80(en-suite) per week. I'm not sure whether that's comfortable or not though.
Reply 217
Original post by Ruffiio
I think the maximum loan and grant is £7177.

Depending on which accommodation I choose I'll be living off either £105 or £94 or £80(en-suite) per week. I'm not sure whether that's comfortable or not though.

All 3 of those amounts appear to be plenty! Many people on here (and other threads) seem to be living on a lot less than that, including myself (£45) but even my amount seems to be high enough
Reply 218
I know!! He doesn't deserve a £50 p/w en suite, lol. People should be grateful for what they get and not just feel that they are more entitled than others!!
Reply 219
Original post by Bobbi!
That's not very nice!! It's lucky that you got the deal that you did, but not something that people can rely on!! And it's ironic that you use the incorrect version of 'you're' while calling someone else stupid!!

Original post by vaguity

Stupid was perhaps too strong a word (and i of course exempt London) but if you go private in September there will be cheaper rates. I thought ahead like you both in first year and paid £112 for the privilege, in September the prices were dropped to £83 and so i waited this year and it paid off.

Latest

Trending

Trending