The Student Room Group

The OFFICIAL AQA AS Philosophy May 2013 Exams Thread. (Units 1&2)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by >Username<
Thank you. :smile: I really appreciate it. :smile:

In terms of determinism I've confused on 'the state of nature'. I hope that makes sense. Basically its in one of my revision books and my teacher spoke about it as well. I just don't understand it. :s-smilie:

I don't know about the state of nature I've never heard of it before my teacher has never said it nor has they put it in our notes, what exactly does it relate to determinism, what methodology, strength/weakness or distinction?
Original post by Onoderas
Irreducible complexity is an argument that says creatures are so complex that they cannot have come from evolution.
It's outlined in this way;

· Behe describes the man parts that work together to move the tail that propels a certain bacterium
· Behe argues that evolution can’t produce such an organisation of parts
· The reason, is that evolution works by making small changes, accidently over time, one at a time
· But, until all the pieces are in place together, the tail wouldn’t work
· It’s all or nothing BUT evolution is bit by bit
· Behe argues that irreducible complexity is direct evidence of design
· If a system won’t work at all until all its parts are in place, this suggests that someone planned and organised the parts

And got it thank you :smile:, hoping if it comes up they keep the question general as in previous years. But I self-teach as my centre doesn't offer the course but wanted to take it up and hated my other AS choice so swapped it! But I'm doing The Value of Art, how about you!?

Ahhhh no I haven't learnt/ been taught that one! Yes I think that's an argument from design. The philosophy syllabus is so wide, many students study completely different modern philosophers and still get brilliant grades.

I don't know anyone else doing 'Knowledge of the external world.' :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RunningInHeels
Ahhhh no I haven't learnt/ been taught that one! Yes I think that's an argument from design. The philosophy syllabus is so wide, many students study completely different modern philosophers and still get brilliant grades.

I don't know anyone else doing 'Knowledge of the external world.' :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Knowledge of the external world and God and the world as my first unit. Done the exam for that in Jan and now have Reason and Experience and Persons as unit 2. R + E is by far the most difficult, not nearly as confident with those two compared to unit 1. :afraid:
Original post by evenstar95
I did Knowledge of the external world and God and the world as my first unit. Done the exam for that in Jan and now have Reason and Experience and Persons as unit 2. R + E is by far the most difficult, not nearly as confident with those two compared to unit 1. :afraid:

I do anthropology too, and there is a section on personhood for that. Descartes; Res Cogitans and all that lovely jazz. R+E was my favourite! For that (R+E) learn the key words from the spec, I.e. necessary and contingent, synthetic and analytic, a'priori etc. The theory for R+E is nowhere near as complex as the rest.

My only concern is that I really don't like knowledge of the external world so I dread revising it. :frown:. But we still have time until the exam to smash it! How did you do in you January exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
hey guys! im doing reason and experience, why should i be moral, the value of art and tolerance. the hardes thing for me is definitely writing a 30 mark question in 30 minutes :frown:

Irreducible complexity is an argument that says creatures are so complex that they cannot have come from evolution.
It's outlined in this way;

· Behe describes the man parts that work together to move the tail that propels a certain bacterium
· Behe argues that evolution can’t produce such an organisation of parts
· The reason, is that evolution works by making small changes, accidently over time, one at a time
· But, until all the pieces are in place together, the tail wouldn’t work
· It’s all or nothing BUT evolution is bit by bit
· Behe argues that irreducible complexity is direct evidence of design
· If a system won’t work at all until all its parts are in place, this suggests that someone planned and organised the parts

And got it thank you :smile:, hoping if it comes up they keep the question general as in previous years. But I self-teach as my centre doesn't offer the course but wanted to take it up and hated my other AS choice so swapped it! But I'm doing The Value of Art, how about you!?

im self teaching too! the textbooks can get so frustrating :L
Original post by Cottam96
I don't know about the state of nature I've never heard of it before my teacher has never said it nor has they put it in our notes, what exactly does it relate to determinism, what methodology, strength/weakness or distinction?

Thanks for the help. :smile: My teacher helped me with it.

Hows your revision going?
Original post by Cottam96
x

My teacher said coincidence, ignorance and probability do not prove or disprove libertarianism.

Please could you explain to this me (or anyone).

Thanks.
Reply 27
Original post by Ronak134

im self teaching too! the textbooks can get so frustrating :L

Self-teaching is horrible! So annoying with some textbooks being useless for some topics (Lacewing and the Religious Point of View...). Really would just love to pass this subject after all the hard work that's gone into this self-teaching. But do you get help from a tutor or anyone!?
Reply 28
Self-teaching is horrible! So annoying with some textbooks being useless for some topics (Lacewing and the Religious Point of View...). Really would just love to pass this subject after all the hard work that's gone into this self-teaching. But do you get help from a tutor or anyone!?

definitely. its annoying how inconsistent the standards between different texbook series can be - I find lacewing great for the value of art at AS for example, where the nelson thornes is rubbish. But for philosophy of mind at a2 (im doing all 4 exams in june which is going to be hell) nelson thornes is good but lacewing cant explain the topic well at all!

im sure you'll do fine though.. the fact that youve decided to self study already shows youre pretty dedicated!

im in touch with an AQA examiner who i send practice essays too and get feedback which is useful. what about you?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Ronak134
definitely. its annoying how inconsistent the standards between different texbook series can be - I find lawcing great for the value of art at AS for example, where the nelson thornes is rubbish. But for philosophy of mind at a2 (im doing all 4 exams in june which is going to be hell) nelson thornes is good but lawcing cant explain the topic well at all!

im sure you'll do fine though.. the fact that youve decided to self study already shows youre pretty dedicated!

im in touch with an AQA examiner who i send practice essays too and get feedback which is useful. what about you?

I do the Value of Art too!! I think it's my least favourite topic though (either that or R&E). I mean Art can be a bit hit and miss, I think representivism can be simple if the question is art should represent reality but trickier if its about art meaning truth/illuminating experience. Form is just:confused: for me and expressivism is ehh, representing the artists feelings is okay but more about the psychological properties can get a bit tricky. But good luck with all 4 units and same applies to you! You clearly have an interest and will do great if you picked this up :smile:

Do you use the Philosophy in Focus textbook too? Not sure if you're doing God and The World unit 2 but it was the only textbook that made sense for the topic and wish I used it sooner as it's great for the units it covers...

How did you get in touch with them!? Just through connections? Because if so that's so lucky:tongue:, I send my essays off to a Philosophy tutor who covers a range of exam boards for feedback, it's quite good although costly for essays :s-smilie:
Reply 30
I do the Value of Art too!! I think it's my least favourite topic though (either that or R&E). I mean Art can be a bit hit and miss, I think representivism can be simple if the question is art should represent reality but trickier if its about art meaning truth/illuminating experience. Form is just:confused: for me and expressivism is ehh, representing the artists feelings is okay but more about the psychological properties can get a bit tricky. But good luck with all 4 units and same applies to you! You clearly have an interest and will do great if you picked this up :smile:

Do you use the Philosophy in Focus textbook too? Not sure if you're doing God and The World unit 2 but it was the only textbook that made sense for the topic and wish I used it sooner as it's great for the units it covers...

How did you get in touch with them!? Just through connections? Because if so that's so lucky:tongue:, I send my essays off to a Philosophy tutor who covers a range of exam boards for feedback, it's quite good although costly for essays :s-smilie:

Oh i quite like value of art! its the only topic i can bring stuff like dubstep and weird computer games like yume nikki that i like into the discussion legitimately :P i think once you get the hang of it it can be pretty formulaic.. the 30 mark questions is always essentially 'assess representivism' or 'assess formalism' or 'assess expressivism' worded weirdly, so i think if you have rough essay plans for them you should be ok!

Formalism to me just seems to be saying that there is a special intrinsic aesthetic pleasure (described as disinterestedness etc.) we get from artistic techniques - colours, patterns, literary techniques, melodies etc. it has advantages because all art has to have some kind of form, even if its vague as to what the form is, but it obviously misses out ideas like truth and emotion in art. and i guess with expressivism i think you just need to accept that the emotion we appreciate has to be our own subjective conception of the art. perfect example of how emotion interpretation is subjective to an extent is the mona lisa - is she smiling or not? So the mood to art can't be objective in my opinon.

for all the units i have the nelson thornes and lacewing textbooks.. i dont think i could cope with a third set!! haha. My other unit 2 unit is tolerance which i personally find harder.. its a lost less structured as a topic i find.

i found her online! oh yeah, it is. if you want i can send you a value of art essay that was marker by the examiner? i have one really good one on expressivism which i got 28/30 but its probably a bit longer than what exam conditions would allow.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Thank you so much for the help! Really cleared up a lot for Formalism, especially the great Mona Lisa example :smile:. But I get what you mean about being able to bring in stuff like games and everything, I want to but sometimes I get scared the examiner is just gonna be like no :frown:. And yeah that's the advantage, they never really pull out a weird one, it seems hard to do so other than another way of wording asses theory X.

Haha I get what you mean, I just stuck with Lacewing to be honest, really difficult to keep cross referencing books when note taking for me :frown:. Hopefully he'll see us through! What topics are you doing alltogether? But I went to a talk on tolerance in about October (?) and yeah I can imagine it being hard. The talk was enough to hurt my head, but I've seen a few complain about it online so hopefully the marking and grade boundaries will thus work in your favour!

But that's so lucky! And please do :smile: That would be helpful, I could send you any too? I get a laptop in my exams so it may be just about the amount I could write as I tend to be able to go on:tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Thank you so much for the help! Really cleared up a lot for Formalism, especially the great Mona Lisa example :smile:. But I get what you mean about being able to bring in stuff like games and everything, I want to but sometimes I get scared the examiner is just gonna be like no :frown:. And yeah that's the advantage, they never really pull out a weird one, it seems hard to do so other than another way of wording asses theory X.

Haha I get what you mean, I just stuck with Lacewing to be honest, really difficult to keep cross referencing books when note taking for me :frown:. Hopefully he'll see us through! What topics are you doing alltogether? But I went to a talk on tolerance in about October (?) and yeah I can imagine it being hard. The talk was enough to hurt my head, but I've seen a few complain about it online so hopefully the marking and grade boundaries will thus work in your favour!

But that's so lucky! And please do :smile: That would be helpful, I could send you any too? I get a laptop in my exams so it may be just about the amount I could write as I tend to be able to go on:tongue:

no problem. actually the examiner i know told me that they like it when you can show original examples that you are passionate about as long as its relevant to whatever the question is discussing. personally i find it easier to talk about art that im familiar than to try and memorise random paintings etc.

reason and experience along with why should i be moral for unit 1. and for the a2 units im doing political philosophy, philosophy of mind, and Mill. what about you? are you doing the full a2?

haha so lucky! i tried to make an appeal to use a computer because my handwriting is so bad but they said it was still neat enough, despite literally all my teachers finding my work illegible! sending you a PM now.
Hi guys, I've finished my AS Philosophy, got a B and an A yay! if you want revision notes I uploaded mine here....

knowledge of external world-
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/knowledge_of_the_external_world_aqa_as_philosophy_complete_revision_notes

value of art-
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/value_of_art_philosophy_aqa_as_complete_revision_notes
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by millie-rose
Hi guys, I've finished my AS Philosophy, got a B and an A yay! if you want revision notes I uploaded mine here....

knowledge of external world-
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/knowledge_of_the_external_world_aqa_as_philosophy_complete_revision_notes

value of art-
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/value_of_art_philosophy_aqa_as_complete_revision_notes

YOU ARE A GOD SEND (theological pun intended).

Thank you thank you thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RunningInHeels
YOU ARE A GOD SEND (theological pun intended).

Thank you thank you thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahaha no problem, good luck!:smile:
Reply 36
I'll make sure to try and use some of my own examples, just gotta hope it gets deemed relevant! And I get you, it's so hard to try and remember paintings to illustrate points, I don't even remember what half of the paintings I've written about look like to be honest...

And I was thinking about doing moral philosophy for AS unit 1 but Theology's my strong point :P. But nope I'm not doing A2, self-teaching AS has been stressful enough :frown: I don't think I'd manage an A2 as well!! But I think Mill is one of the more interesting philospohers imo (I can't stand Nietzsche as I don't have a clue what he's on about half the time).

Haha trust me I truly blagged it. I'm right handed and wrote with my left hand and scrawled across the page to make it look illegible... but unlucky about yours :frown: I'm sure you'll still do great though! Just praying conceptual schemes or introspection an tautological is not the 30 mark for R and E!!
Reply 37
Original post by >Username<
My teacher said coincidence, ignorance and probability do not prove or disprove libertarianism.

Please could you explain to this me (or anyone).

Thanks.

My revision is going okay I guess, just busy with IT2 Coursework atm, erm this is referring to Determinism incompatible with chance and that really chance is an illusion, if we knew enough about the prior causes and given what we know about the Laws of nature then we could accurately predict say the roll of a dice, Libertarianism seems to be we have free Will because there's a Gap in universal causality and that therefore we have the ability to do otherwise in exactly the same situation and Determinism is false!
Reply 38
Here are my notes for PHIL1 (R+E/Why Should I Be Moral?) and PHIL2 (The Value of Art/Free Will and Determinism), I scored 65/100 UMS and 95/100 UMS respectively on these papers, although I'm resitting PHIL1 as I feel I have the potential to do better considering I scored 72/100 UMS on PHIL1 last year when I was in AS (I'm A2 now! :eek:) - I think the marking was harsh due to the questions being so easy compared to previous years, I seriously doubt that otherwise it would be plausible for me to get lower with a year's more experience. :rolleyes:

I think pretty much everything you need is included, although the PHIL2 notes are probably better. :smile: Let me know if you need me to clarify anything. If you choose to use them as a revision aid I'd advise shortening them as they are quite long/detailed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jool
Here are my notes for PHIL1 (R+E/Why Should I Be Moral?) and PHIL2 (The Value of Art/Free Will and Determinism), I scored 65/100 UMS and 95/100 UMS respectively on these papers, although I'm resitting PHIL1 as I feel I have the potential to do better considering I scored 72/100 UMS on PHIL1 last year when I was in AS (I'm A2 now! :eek:) - I think the marking was harsh due to the questions being so easy compared to previous years, I seriously doubt that otherwise it would be plausible for me to get lower with a year's more experience. :rolleyes:

I think pretty much everything you need is included, although the PHIL2 notes are probably better. :smile: Let me know if you need me to clarify anything. If you choose to use them as a revision aid I'd advise shortening them as they are quite long/detailed.

Thank you so much for uploading your revision notes. :smile:

Please could you explain this to me "If we think in the physical, why do we claim it is non-physical? It is misleading to talk of thinking as a ‘mental activity’ i.e. hand -> writing. The mind is not a thinking thing, why does the mind use physical representations if it is matter? (Ryle)".

I understand there is a language problem... When do we claim we think in the non-physical? I don't understand the whole mental activity thing either. And how the mind isn't a thinking thing? I'm really confused. Sorry if this sounds like stupid questions or anything. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending