The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FallonSmith
Just to clarify this point, I don't suffer from an eating disorder, my BMI is well within the healthy range. I'm 19 5'6 and 8.7 stone. After everyone on here was telling me I wasn't eating enough yesterday, I decided to have a big dinner which consisted off smoked salmon fillet, a roasted pepper and an antipasti selection from asda (included olives, sundried tomatoes and some little spanish crisps).

I now cannot walk, I have crippling stomach pains and I haven't left my room today due to revising throughout the day so I'm feeling mega guilty about not exercising, plus extremely worried about gaining weight after all that food. Once the stomach pains have passed I must do some sit ups or something. I don't want to get fat again :frown:

An eating disorder isn't to do with what your body looks like or how much you weigh. It's about how you view food, your relationship with it and how you see yourself in the mirror.

You've had one meal which you view as 'big' (probably a small meal for me lol) and you feel guilty for it and want to do some sit ups? You're not going to get fat from one meal. I really think you could benefit from some help. The least you could do is seek some advice and just get some sort of assessment from your GP or any eating disorder services at your uni.
Original post by Anonymous
Weight is irrelevant! Eating disorders are mental disorders not weight ranges! This is so frustrating, because you do have a disordered attitude to food and deep down you know you need help otherwise you wouldn't post. Please look after your body!

But I eat three meals a day so it's not like i'm starving myself silly. I'm really bloated after that meal.
Original post by areebmazhar
An eating disorder isn't to do with what your body looks like or how much you weigh. It's about how you view food, your relationship with it and how you see yourself in the mirror.

You've had one meal which you view as 'big' (probably a small meal for me lol) and you feel guilty for it and want to do some sit ups? You're not going to get fat from one meal. I really think you could benefit from some help. The least you could do is seek some advice and just get some sort of assessment from your GP or any eating disorder services at your uni.

I will get fat because I haven't exercised since yesterday and I've got blisters from new shoes so it's going to be difficult walking for a day or two outside which hinders my exercise plan.
Reply 5663
Fallon, you will not get fat because of that one meal, or the fact that you haven't been able to exercise since yesterday. You seem to be forgetting that your body requires at least 2000kcals a day just to maintain your weight and function properly. It takes a 3500kcal surplus on top of your daily maintenance to gain a single pound of body fat. For an average woman that would mean having to eat a minimum of 5500kcals in a single day. I extremely doubt your meal on top of the details of what you posted several weeks back of your typical day, which, let's be honest, is not enough for a girl your age to maintain a healthy weight, even comes near that number.

You stress that your weight is (just!) within the healthy range. It doesn't matter. Eating disorders are not physical illnesses, they are mental illnesses that revolve around your feelings, views and beliefs about food and yourself. For example, many people with Anorexia Nervosa start off losing weight when they are overweight. But just because you have a healthy weight it doesn't mean at all that you have a healthy mind. Sorry to bring it back to me, but I'm now well within a healthy weight, but recently I've been battling a relapse, and have lost weight. Despite the fact I'm now physically healthy, my obsessions around weight, food and body shape are as disordered, or even perhaps stronger than ever as I come to terms with my new weight.

I saw your posts in the 'What have you eaten today thread'. As I said several weeks ago to you, filling up on Diet Coke to suppress your appetite is clearly disordered, and you are putting your health at risk. I posted to you several weeks ago about how it doesn't matter if you are eating three small meals a day, if it is not the calorie amount required by your body to function properly then you will lose weight, and ultimately risk malnourishment through lack of vitamins, fats, proteins and carbohydrates. Losing excessive weight doesn't make you happy, it just starts a vicious cycle in which you are never satisfied and slowly dig yourself a grave as your body feeds on itself in the absence of sufficient glucose and sufficient fat. You will witness your body begin to shut down, get tired doing any sort of activity, suffer extreme depression and dysmorphia, and run the serious health risks associated with eating disorders including osteoporosis, bradycardia, hypoglycaemia, and infertility amongst many others. If you are already not eating properly, which face it, you're not, then being bloated is inevitable as your body fills up quicker.

Does that make you think that being skinny will make you happy? I lost 7 stone in a year with my disorder, did I feel happy? Nope. All I wanted to become was thinner, fuelling a depressive cycle that just sustained the anorexia and made me repetitively isolate myself from my friends and family and just made me want to take my own life. All alongside seriously damaging my body constantly running along the thin line of being admitted as an inpatient and being sectioned. Thinness doesn't equal happiness!

We are only too willing to help you on here, but you just need to admit to yourself that you clearly suffer from disordered behaviours. My advice will be the same as everyone else's get help now! At the end of the day I don't mean to be harsh, I just don't want someone to waste away their life and put their body and mind through the hell in the way that I did.
(edited 11 years ago)
I will get fat because I haven't exercised since yesterday and I've got blisters from new shoes so it's going to be difficult walking for a day or two outside which hinders my exercise plan.

Sweetheart, you're clearly not well. There's a syeda drop in session at the octagon next week. I imagine Amy will/ already has sent us all an email reminder about it :smile:
Reply 5665
I am feeling so so low atm, I feel worse since I went to the doctors and got put on anti d's and someone just told me that diet energy drinks which have 0 calories or fat make you fatter? How is that possible. That is all that is keeping me awake.
My doctor said he had reffered me the CMHT as urgent. I haven't heard anything and its been 3 weeks. I just dont know if I can do this. :'( I know deep down I want to get better but I'm so scared and eating makes everything worse for me
SPOILER My stomach is currently black from all the punching I've been doing every time I eat. It's because I'm trying not to cut :/ SPOILER
Literally dont know what to do. My thoughts are scaring me :frown:
Original post by 05autyt
I am feeling so so low atm, I feel worse since I went to the doctors and got put on anti d's and someone just told me that diet energy drinks which have 0 calories or fat make you fatter? How is that possible. That is all that is keeping me awake.
My doctor said he had reffered me the CMHT as urgent. I haven't heard anything and its been 3 weeks. I just dont know if I can do this. :'( I know deep down I want to get better but I'm so scared and eating makes everything worse for me
SPOILER My stomach is currently black from all the punching I've been doing every time I eat. It's because I'm trying not to cut :/ SPOILER
Literally dont know what to do. My thoughts are scaring me :frown:

-cuddles- Its because they contain sweetners which make your brain crave sugar or something lke that.
I'm not underweight but I've lost about a stone over the past 4 months. I'm now 7st 8 and 5ft 3 but my friends are worried about me. I didn't realise I had a problem but when I eat I feel really guilty and it's almost like it hurts to eat. My periods have stopped and sometimes I can barely stand up. I've been trying to eat more over the past week because I dropped from 7st 11 last week to 7st 8 this week, and my rapid weight loss is scaring me. I want to lose weight but I'm worried that I'll go too far and end up ruining my life and the lives of those I care about. I feel guilty when I don't go to the gym, I binge on weekends and in the week there are some days that I have about 300 calories. I'm not sure what to do.
Original post by .snowflake.
Sweetheart, you're clearly not well. There's a syeda drop in session at the octagon next week. I imagine Amy will/ already has sent us all an email reminder about it :smile:

I'm fine thanks it's just frustrating how I don't seem to be losing any weight :frown:
Original post by JLW95
Fallon, you will not get fat because of that one meal, or the fact that you haven't been able to exercise since yesterday. You seem to be forgetting that your body requires at least 2000kcals a day just to maintain your weight and function properly. It takes a 3500kcal surplus on top of your daily maintenance to gain a single pound of body fat. For an average woman that would mean having to eat a minimum of 5500kcals in a single day. I extremely doubt your meal on top of the details of what you posted several weeks back of your typical day, which, let's be honest, is not enough for a girl your age to maintain a healthy weight, even comes near that number.

You stress that your weight is (just!) within the healthy range. It doesn't matter. Eating disorders are not physical illnesses, they are mental illnesses that revolve around your feelings, views and beliefs about food and yourself. For example, many people with Anorexia Nervosa start off losing weight when they are overweight. But just because you have a healthy weight it doesn't mean at all that you have a healthy mind. Sorry to bring it back to me, but I'm now well within a healthy weight, but recently I've been battling a relapse, and have lost weight. Despite the fact I'm now physically healthy, my obsessions around weight, food and body shape are as disordered, or even perhaps stronger than ever as I come to terms with my new weight.

I saw your posts in the 'What have you eaten today thread'. As I said several weeks ago to you, filling up on Diet Coke to suppress your appetite is clearly disordered, and you are putting your health at risk. I posted to you several weeks ago about how it doesn't matter if you are eating three small meals a day, if it is not the calorie amount required by your body to function properly then you will lose weight, and ultimately risk malnourishment through lack of vitamins, fats, proteins and carbohydrates. Losing excessive weight doesn't make you happy, it just starts a vicious cycle in which you are never satisfied and slowly dig yourself a grave as your body feeds on itself in the absence of sufficient glucose and sufficient fat. You will witness your body begin to shut down, get tired doing any sort of activity, suffer extreme depression and dysmorphia, and run the serious health risks associated with eating disorders including osteoporosis, bradycardia, hypoglycaemia, and infertility amongst many others. If you are already not eating properly, which face it, you're not, then being bloated is inevitable as your body fills up quicker.

Does that make you think that being skinny will make you happy? I lost 7 stone in a year with my disorder, did I feel happy? Nope. All I wanted to become was thinner, fuelling a depressive cycle that just sustained the anorexia and made me repetitively isolate myself from my friends and family and just made me want to take my own life. All alongside seriously damaging my body constantly running along the thin line of being admitted as an inpatient and being sectioned. Thinness doesn't equal happiness!

We are only too willing to help you on here, but you just need to admit to yourself that you clearly suffer from disordered behaviours. My advice will be the same as everyone else's get help now! At the end of the day I don't mean to be harsh, I just don't want someone to waste away their life and put their body and mind through the hell in the way that I did.

Are you sure I won't put any weight on? It was a really big meal for me but I suppose you're right in a way that this isn't a healthy view to have towards food. If I had a quicker metabolism I probably wouldn't be worrying about this problem, but I've always had ups and downs over the years regarding my body image.

The can of coke didn't even help to fill me up today unfortunately, maybe because I didn't really go out and do any exercise, I don't know. Thank you for your advice I will bear it in mind :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
-cuddles- Its because they contain sweetners which make your brain crave sugar or something lke that.

So they wont make me gain weight if I dont change my diet. Panicked me so much. I've had 4 today because I cant sleep and its the only way I have any energy to revise for my exams!
Reply 5671
^ that was me :/
Original post by 05autyt
^ that was me :/

I'm sure you're an intelligent girl, think about it logically and don't let the ED take over. Of course it wont make you gain weight unless, as you said, it impacts on your diet and forces you to eat a crazy amount of sweet foods. There are so many myths about but don't let your ED grasp onto them and use them as a way of torturing you.

I remember once when I was at a really bad stage I convinced myself that if I ate an apple, the weight of the apple in my hand would be added to me as weight. Yeah Mel, good one. :rolleyes:
Reply 5673
When you starve your body excessively it goes into what's effectively a "starvation plateau" where it becomes so scared it's dying that it clings to everything you take in. This is why the more you starve, the less weight you lose as your body adjusts to the new starving diet.

This is why anorexics slowly but surely have to continue to decrease what they take in until they reach a point where their bodies have no option but to self-consume, resulting in muscular, bone and organ wasting.

I started off as a healthy weight. I've been a man at 12 stones, and a man at 6 and a half stones. And trust me, at the latter weight, I was living a shell of an existence and had a month to live, and I was still telling myself "I'm not the SKINNIEST guy, so why are they telling me I have less than a month to live?!"

Please just understand you're the only one here that doesn't see they have a problem, Fallon; the rest of us can see it.
Reply 5674
Are you sure I won't put any weight on? It was a really big meal for me but I suppose you're right in a way that this isn't a healthy view to have towards food. If I had a quicker metabolism I probably wouldn't be worrying about this problem, but I've always had ups and downs over the years regarding my body image.

The can of coke didn't even help to fill me up today unfortunately, maybe because I didn't really go out and do any exercise, I don't know. Thank you for your advice I will bear it in mind :smile:

Of course you won't put on fat because of one meal. I said you require a 3500kcal surplus on top of your maintenance to do that. If you were to weigh yourself after eating that, yes, your scales would probably increase slightly by a pound or two. HOWEVER, THIS IS NOT ACTUAL WEIGHT GAIN. This is simply the weight of the food whilst it waits to be digested properly coupled with water retention, caused by salty foods or carbohydrates. Give it a couple of hours and that weight will be gone again. That is why your weight fluctuates by several pounds throughout the day. That is why if you are going to weigh the best time is in the morning with few clothes on after you have been to the toilet. That is closest to your true weight, and you will notice that it doesn't really change from day to day, it remains constant. Your body tries to preserve this weight.

You bring up the point of metabolism. You do realise that when you restrict your metabolism lowers as your body tries to retain any energy that is actually taken in. That is why many people with Anorexia Nervosa when restricting find their weight doesn't decrease, but they maintain on very low amonts. Your body isn't born with a set amount of calories it requires to maintain your weight. It changes in accordance with your energy intake and exercise. In short, if you restrict, your metabolism will just lower. At my worst I was maintaining on 900kcals a day, when really a boy my age should have been requiring 2500 - 3000kcals a day.

That can of Coke will never really fill you up. Sure the caffeine and water may reduce your appetite and fill you temporarily, but when this wears off you'll just be left even more hungry than before, and feeling like rubbish alongside it, as well as risking malnourishment alongside it.

Please bear my, and other people's advice in mind. At the end of the day we just don't want another person to suffer from these horrible conditions. If you see your doctors, then will not 'fatten you up'. They'll just help you to an appropriate, healthy weight, and provide you with coping strategies to deal with your image, weight and food views.

Take care, and please get help for your disorder :smile:.

Sorry if any of this isn't very clear, I've been awake since 1 this morning!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5675
Original post by MelissaJayne
I'm sure you're an intelligent girl, think about it logically and don't let the ED take over. Of course it wont make you gain weight unless, as you said, it impacts on your diet and forces you to eat a crazy amount of sweet foods. There are so many myths about but don't let your ED grasp onto them and use them as a way of torturing you.

I remember once when I was at a really bad stage I convinced myself that if I ate an apple, the weight of the apple in my hand would be added to me as weight. Yeah Mel, good one. :rolleyes:

I'm just a mess at the moment. I know logically it cant because it has nothing in it, but I am just so so scared of gaining weight :frown: I dont know what to do anymore
Original post by Anime Lover
I'm not underweight but I've lost about a stone over the past 4 months. I'm now 7st 8 and 5ft 3 but my friends are worried about me. I didn't realise I had a problem but when I eat I feel really guilty and it's almost like it hurts to eat. My periods have stopped and sometimes I can barely stand up. I've been trying to eat more over the past week because I dropped from 7st 11 last week to 7st 8 this week, and my rapid weight loss is scaring me. I want to lose weight but I'm worried that I'll go too far and end up ruining my life and the lives of those I care about. I feel guilty when I don't go to the gym, I binge on weekends and in the week there are some days that I have about 300 calories. I'm not sure what to do.

Hey sweetie :smile: let me help you out. I was diagnosed with anorexia when my BMI was actually 19.5, which is healthy of course. The problem with anorexia that a lot of people don't understand is that anorexia is a mental illness with physical consequences. You can have it without being the 'correct' underweight weight. If you are feeling guilty and your periods have stopped, these are signs. You sound like you have your head screwed on because you realise how bad your dramatic weightloss is, so well done. There are ways of losing weight in a sensible way by having a balanced diet and exercising. Having 300 calories in a day is worrying. It takes 500 calories a day just for your brain to work, not to mention your other organs. Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk more x
Reply 5677
I think one of the major issues that the past few days has emphasised is that the mental disorder is just that - a MENTAL disorder. The person suffering it might not exhibit any physical traits of a disease at all.But they will, eventually, because the mental stress becomes very, very deadly on the body.

Did you read my initial post made two years ago? Check it out, page one of this very thread. I was about to die and I still believed I was okay. The pictures of me do not illustrate who I am in my head. The person I am today still isn't necessarily the man I believe I look like. It's all a matter of perception.

But you are totally unable to be helped until you accept your mind isn't working correctly. I'm afraid that's the only part nobody can help you with. :frown:
Original post by jazzykinks
Hey sweetie :smile: let me help you out. I was diagnosed with anorexia when my BMI was actually 19.5, which is healthy of course. The problem with anorexia that a lot of people don't understand is that anorexia is a mental illness with physical consequences. You can have it without being the 'correct' underweight weight. If you are feeling guilty and your periods have stopped, these are signs. You sound like you have your head screwed on because you realise how bad your dramatic weightloss is, so well done. There are ways of losing weight in a sensible way by having a balanced diet and exercising. Having 300 calories in a day is worrying. It takes 500 calories a day just for your brain to work, not to mention your other organs. Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk more x

I'm sorry to hear about that, are you recovering now? :smile: Yeah I know it's a mental illness, I just don't know if I can accept it because I still feel like I look overweight :/ I know the harm I'm doing to my body but I'm fixated with the idea of getting thinner... The sudden weight drop was a bit scary though. Thanks btw, I still have no idea how to send a PM though >.<
Reply 5679
Validation is a key problem.

"I'm not skinny enough to have an ED."

Nobody is "skinny enough". Nobody is "fat enough". It's irrelevant, and stupid.

If I was to say to you I was six stones in weight, and a man, would you balk at me and say I was disgustingly thin, and to sort myself out? Of course you would. That's death row right there, and nobody bar a sadist would want that man to suffer.

Now if I said I was the weight I am - eight stone three/four. That puts me just under BMI 18.5 (healthy). I still count everything I eat. I place every Nestle Smartie into colour category and eat only which colour has the most outstanding. I eat fish from tail to head. I cannot eat my dinner until and exact time, and I cannot use any other fork than the one I have set aside for myself.

Is the man I am today, the latter man, healed? Normal?! Not at all. But at least I've grown accustomed to, and accept, my issues. The problems are many, but I can't hope to face them until I underpin and accept them.

This is the message for today - ACCEPT the issues you have. THEN we'll focus on fixing you!

Quick Reply

Latest