The Student Room Group

Higher Exams 2013

How are you guys all feeling about the exams coming up? How long have you been studying for and are you feeling stressed or quite calm?
I'm feeling quite confident about most of my subjects (maths, chemistry, biology, physics) but I'm really stressing out about english!
I study quite a lot for the prelims so I'm less stressed about the actual exams but english has just always been my weak subject and I'm constantly stressing out about it. I can't wait until next year - my first english-free year - woo!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lydofateapot
How are you guys all feeling about the exams coming up? How long have you been studying for and are you feeling stressed or quite calm?
I'm feeling quite confident about most of my subjects (maths, chemistry, biology, physics) but I'm really stressing out about english!
I study quite a lot for the prelims so I'm less stressed about the actual exams but english has just always been my weak subject and I'm constantly stressing out about it. I can't wait until next year - my first english-free year - woo!

I'm rather hopeful now, i failed both eng and maths prelim but in my second maths prelim ive gone from a D to a B and for eng ive been handing in extra critical essays, ones done outwith school, and so i hope i can get into AH English, my other subjects got all B's in and i believe i can redo that again or even get better, though drama can be quite unpredictable in terms of the written side
Reply 2
i'm feeling good about everything but english. i got 3 a's in the prelim for everything else but only 60% for english, it's just not easy to study for! as in for biology i learn it and go practice papers, but english i'm all over the shop.

been studying over the easter holidays 6 hours a day and since we got back to school been trying to get 4 hours a night in when i come home. done math and biology to death so they are looking solid but english and modern studies are a bit worrying, will need to start writing out essay plans for both :smile:
Feeling very confident about French, German, and History, less so for Modern Studies, and English...well, I'll leave it at that.
Confident for As in chemistry, biology and history, needing at least 4 As and a B, hoping to get my B in physics up to an A and maintain my B in modern.

As for revision, done about 7-8 hours a day (including at school) with Saturdays off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by JackoGeddes
i'm feeling good about everything but english. i got 3 a's in the prelim for everything else but only 60% for english, it's just not easy to study for! as in for biology i learn it and go practice papers, but english i'm all over the shop.

been studying over the easter holidays 6 hours a day and since we got back to school been trying to get 4 hours a night in when i come home. done math and biology to death so they are looking solid but english and modern studies are a bit worrying, will need to start writing out essay plans for both :smile:

English is damn right too hard to do well, my cousin said her friend got "like 99% in it" which seems like impossible haha, my friend does higher modies, isnt it like several essays that you have to do with somewhere around 20mins to do them..?
Original post by MC1723
English is damn right too hard to do well, my cousin said her friend got "like 99% in it" which seems like impossible haha, my friend does higher modies, isnt it like several essays that you have to do with somewhere around 20mins to do them..?

Yeah, modern is four essays in 1 hour 30 which is 22.5 minutes each.
I thankfully decided against English as our department is terrible! At one point we only had one english teacher when we're supposed to have 5 or 6. No surprise only 4 people passes out of about 70 and the top mark was 60%!
Reply 7
Original post by Officegirl4
Yeah, modern is four essays in 1 hour 30 which is 22.5 minutes each.
I thankfully decided against English as our department is terrible! At one point we only had one english teacher when we're supposed to have 5 or 6. No surprise only 4 people passes out of about 70 and the top mark was 60%!

:O:O our eng department is alright; there was a teacher who constantly sang in the corridors, nobody wanted him as higher teacher but one time he took a higher class and lets just say he never took higher again cause the pass rate was just ridiculous
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure I will get an A in French, Art and History (if I work hard in the latter), but I'm not sure whether I will get an A or a B for English and Media Studies.

English is easily my hardest subject, possibly because it's my second language, but I'll be happy if I end up getting a B
Reply 9
STRESSING OUT AND PANICKING!

I need to get a grip and study hard because I am doing TERRIBLE :frown:
Original post by n x
STRESSING OUT AND PANICKING!

I need to get a grip and study hard because I am doing TERRIBLE :frown:

Same, I think I failed a nab today for what was supposed to be my best/second best subject :redface:
We were reading through the External Examiners' Assessment Document for last years' modern studies paper today...just another reminder that the exam is just around the corner.
Mine start tomorrow with computing. Good luck everyone! How confident are you feeling?
Reply 13
I'm doing computing tomorrow as well. Really nervous(I always am with exams). Got a 2 in the prelim, but hoping for a 1 and a 2 in the exam. What are you hoping to get?

Good luck!
Original post by L...
I'm doing computing tomorrow as well. Really nervous(I always am with exams). Got a 2 in the prelim, but hoping for a 1 and a 2 in the exam. What are you hoping to get?

Good luck!

Cool! You should be fine :smile: I got a 1 in the prelim so want a 1 but a credit grade would do for me! Thanks you too!
Reply 15
Original post by srm4
I'm pretty sure I will get an A in French, Art and History (if I work hard in the latter), but I'm not sure whether I will get an A or a B for English and Media Studies.

English is easily my hardest subject, possibly because it's my second language, but I'll be happy if I end up getting a B

I am pretty sure I will get an A in all of my subjects except English and I would otherwise be happy with a B in english but now I kind of want the full set of five A's. And my teacher thinks I should get an A too. :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Original post by lydofateapot

I can't believe the exams are only a week away! Last year I revised SO much but this year it just seems that there is too much to cover. With the history and biology exams straight after each other I have no idea how I'm going to study enough. I need a B in English and Biology but honestly not sure I can get this. Feeling pretty calm about Modern Studies though so at least that's something. :smile:
Reply 17
I know! It's so scary! And I don't do history but even though the biology and english exams are 5 days apart I think I'm freaking out about english so much that I probably won't even revise for biology! :s-smilie:
Reply 18
My first exam is in just under 2 weeks time - I'm hoping to finish writing up all my notes for it today so that I can use the rest of my time for practicing essays and DMEs under timed conditions. I'm absolutely confident of As in French and German, relatively so for Modern Studies and History and I'm worried about English! Having said that, I did get an A in the prelim for it and I've managed to improve my close reading marks, but still. I think it's the folio that's worrying me - I wasn't really satisfied with what I sent off, but I hope I can get around 19 for both pieces.

Good luck to anyone sitting exams within the next few days! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Grozdova.
My first exam is in just under 2 weeks time - I'm hoping to finish writing up all my notes for it today so that I can use the rest of my time for practicing essays and DMEs under timed conditions. I'm absolutely confident of As in French and German, relatively so for Modern Studies and History and I'm worried about English! Having said that, I did get an A in the prelim for it and I've managed to improve my close reading marks, but still. I think it's the folio that's worrying me - I wasn't really satisfied with what I sent off, but I hope I can get around 19 for both pieces.

Good luck to anyone sitting exams within the next few days! :smile:

I didn't like my folios either! And I'm trying to write up all of my notes for english today as well so that I can do lots of timed essays. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending