The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Imo being sacked by Chelsea isn't a blot on your CV, as its pretty much an expected outcome. Our former managers have mostly all gone on to very good jobs quite quickly, and if AVB had stayed at Porto and then for instance taken a job at Real Madrid he would be fired there as well very quickly imo - he learnt a lot in his time here, when he arrived he showed 0 ability to adapt and made unbelievably naive errors of judgement and just would NOT adapt. Playing the ultra high line here is what cost him the job, it was a terrible tactic with our set of players and he absolutely refused to try anything else. If you're that naive and stubborn in any ultra high pay job you should expect to be on your way out. The managers that didn't get a fair shot here, like RDM and Avram Grant, got a massive leg up in their career. No doubt RDM will get another shot at managing in the top flight somewhere at some point, and Grant obviously went on to manage else where.

The key is that if a manager has confidence he is better than the guys that failed here, he looks at the mistakes they made and says "I'm not that naive," then he should be happy to come in here and take a shot at it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1261
In other news, Torres says quite clearly that he wants to see out another 3 years here. Hopefully the club finds a way to get him out the door either this summer or the next, without treating him poorly as I don't think he deserves that. But in my mind its clear we need to free up his wages for a striker that can win us football matches.
Reply 1262
Of course he raised a point, you just chose to ignore it because id called you out on it. But oh no, no one can even criticize Chelsea. :lol: All Multitalented said was that it would be nice to see Klopp at Chelsea, which Zerforax then used as an opportunity to criticise Chelsea. What do you expect, you'd get the same reaction in any other thread.

An owner that sacks managers for fun, players that think they run the club, fans that scream abuse at their own players and manager. Yep, definitely not toxic at all. Whereas Dortmunds star player has announced he's leaving to their main rivals and has only been cheered. You wish you had the class of Dortmund. There are reports that Götze’s younger brother was bullied home from school, and that his family home had been vandalised. Plus there's plenty of pictures of his shirt being burnt/defaced all over the internet. Not to take anything away from the Dortmund support though, as to my knowledge Götze wasn't booed by them tonight, but no club is without it's share of dickhead supporters. German football just seems a lot classier in general than the English equivalent tbh.
This is all getting way too monotonous now, but Bild is reporting that we're close to Mourinho and Falcao. Although Bild is basically The Sun of Germany, apparently.
Original post by Nickini

There are reports that Götze’s younger brother was bullied home from school, and that his family home had been vandalised. Plus there's plenty of pictures of his shirt being burnt/defaced all over the internet. Not to take anything away from the Dortmund support though, as to my knowledge Götze wasn't booed by them tonight, but no club is without it's share of dickhead supporters. German football just seems a lot classier in general than the English equivalent tbh.

Going after his bro was wrong, but Gotze has utterly disgraced himself. Burning his shirt is petty but I dont see what's wrong with that. No Dortmund fan would want his name on their back anymore.
Why burn his shirt its costs a lot of money so don't waste it just give it away to someone who doesn't mind having it. Gotze may have done wrong but his little brother doesn't deserve to be bullied nor his family targeted.
£50m bid for Bale, all our problems go away :holmes:
Reply 1267
Original post by The Assassin
This is all getting way too monotonous now, but Bild is reporting that we're close to Mourinho and Falcao. Although Bild is basically The Sun of Germany, apparently.

Bild were one of the first sources to break the news of Gotze going to Bayern. Several hours before most other German sources. Must be doing something right.
Original post by Tweek
Bild were one of the first sources to break the news of Gotze going to Bayern. Several hours before most other German sources. Must be doing something right.

I thought that as well (first time I'd heard of Bild), but on other sites people are saying Bild is really unreliable, lolz.
Reply 1269
Original post by The Assassin
I thought that as well (first time I'd heard of Bild), but on other sites people are saying Bild is really unreliable, lolz.

They are in general like a lot of mainstream papers. Lots of sources, don't have time to sift through them all judging on reliability.

But to compare them to The Sun is a tad harsh. I guess they're the German equivalent of Marca though. Neither overly reliable but can come through with some good reports every now and again. The Sun is just.... well.

From what I've seen by independent or lesser known German reporters they're rather hit and miss. But that than nothing though.
Reply 1270
Apparently Bild are often spot on when they declare something like "a done deal" or "X has signed a contract with Y", but the rest of the time they're not much better than any other newspaper speculating on transfers.
Reply 1271
Original post by Zürich
Going after his bro was wrong, but Gotze has utterly disgraced himself. Burning his shirt is petty but I dont see what's wrong with that. No Dortmund fan would want his name on their back anymore.
Yeah I agree, burning a shirt is pretty disrespectful and unnecessary IMO but like you said, somewhat understandable under the circumstances. I was just making the point that Dortmund doesn't have super-fans who can do no wrong.
Reply 1272
BIpYiwmCYAAj_Cx.jpg

:smile:
Reply 1273
Got a bet for a penalty at some point in tonight's match, Torres to score at anytime and Chelsea and Benfica to both win the first leg, stand to win £50 in total. Only thing I'm fretting about is Benfica's result ironically more than Torres scoring.
Original post by Tommyjw
Like what examples?

Tried looking for the examples since I had them written in a text document but still can't find it. I will quote you if I find them since it's annoying. But yeah, the English FA case stands though. Here and here are articles showing the problems of the FA who are unwilling to use powers devolved to them, probably because it will create too much of a work load. It's only one case, and with the FA refusing the budge on exercising powers given to them just means that some football fans, as I've seen in a different thread, become misinformed as to whether or not the FA, or other national football associations, can overturn referee decisions of an incident he or she has supposedly punished.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1275
Original post by NDGAARONDI
And 9 months for Mark Bosnich testing positive for cocaine, a recreational drug. I don't know if cocaine has properties that put it parellel to performance enhancing drugs though. A bit inconsistent is an understatement. Stade Francais' scrum half, Jerome Fillol, got banned for 14 weeks for spitting. Sometimes spitting and biting can be worse than some other forms of physical harm, depending on the context, because of the issue of disease. I'm aware that footballers spit on the pitch but they shouldn't do it. Bad as 14 year olds who think it's cool to smoke who have to spit every minute for some stupid reason. Ivanovic might catch rabies off Suarez for all I know.

With coke from what I've heard it's really just like 30mins-1hr of pleasure, don't think it's got any performance enhancing effects just that our countries' drug policy is an absolute farce, don't think they'd get a fine from the FA if they got caught out on the lash drinking 10 pints of coors light but really public opinion on it means that the authorities are under pressure to do such actions due to the media.

Original post by Tweek
Do you see the level of hypocrisy in calling Chelsea a toxic environment as a Liverpool fan? Sure he'd benefit from being in the nurturing environment that is Anfield...

article-2308571-19452771000005DC-958_306x256.jpg

Although liverpool are no better than us we still are a **** environment. I think klopp would do a similar job to mourinho tbh. His record is truly outstanding there's no two ways about it, this is coming from a guy 3 weeks ago who was saying they're completely overrated.

Still think madrid(alonso especially) was absolutely terrible but dortmund were awesome. Still think they'd be battered by bayern but I'd rather dortmund won it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1276
It's been a good 2 days of quality football on show. Don't disappoint Rafa and let Hazard do his thing :yy:
Original post by 419
It's been a good 2 days of quality football on show. Don't disappoint Rafa and let Hazard do his thing :yy:

Haha trust us to keep the show rolling. Don't get your hopes up mate.

We'll get one goal and play out the rest of the game. Standard.
Reply 1278
Original post by mhsc
Imo being sacked by Chelsea isn't a blot on your CV, as its pretty much an expected outcome. Our former managers have mostly all gone on to very good jobs quite quickly, and if AVB had stayed at Porto and then for instance taken a job at Real Madrid he would be fired there as well very quickly imo - he learnt a lot in his time here, when he arrived he showed 0 ability to adapt and made unbelievably naive errors of judgement and just would NOT adapt. Playing the ultra high line here is what cost him the job, it was a terrible tactic with our set of players and he absolutely refused to try anything else. If you're that naive and stubborn in any ultra high pay job you should expect to be on your way out. The managers that didn't get a fair shot here, like RDM and Avram Grant, got a massive leg up in their career. No doubt RDM will get another shot at managing in the top flight somewhere at some point, and Grant obviously went on to manage else where.

The key is that if a manager has confidence he is better than the guys that failed here, he looks at the mistakes they made and says "I'm not that naive," then he should be happy to come in here and take a shot at it.

Yup simple as. AVB learnt a lot here, got a good job again too.

RDM would easily manage in the top flight personally, I think he would be a good candidate for the everton job if moyes leaves. Seemed to be able to get a sense of togetherness and give us a fighting spirit in matches(something we clearly lack atm bar 30mins when we've already been embarrassed)

Original post by mhsc
In other news, Torres says quite clearly that he wants to see out another 3 years here. Hopefully the club finds a way to get him out the door either this summer or the next, without treating him poorly as I don't think he deserves that. But in my mind its clear we need to free up his wages for a striker that can win us football matches.

Meh his performances has been pathetic. Half the games he feels he has next to no ability so doesn't even try. That performance vs liverpool was pathetic and I see this much too often for it to just be 'the rest of the teams' fault he's probably as good as arouna kone if not worse. I was looking at benteke vs united and he seemed a lot like drogba, while he's clearly not needed just pointing that out here.

Original post by Isometrix
£50m bid for Bale, all our problems go away :holmes:

**** bale, Arjen robben ftw I'd take him over bale personally. Cheaper and puts in similar performances, his record with us was outstanding as well. Think Robben should be the first signing we should make in the summer if we want depth in the wings, just look at bayern while benayoun and marin need replacing. Might as well replace him with quality.

Then we can go and buy the DM we need, the striker to replace that **** prick we have up top and we'll be good for the title. It's really not rocket science. If we don't buy the DM then trust our promising youth like chalobah/mceachran/romeu because the DM's we use are absolute dross or out of position like lampard, Milan done it nicely this season putting el shawaary, de sciglio and others in the team e.g. and bayern did the same last season making a young spine of badstuber, alaba, kroos and muller and lets not get started with dortmund.
Reply 1279
Original post by Isometrix
Haha trust us to keep the show rolling. Don't get your hopes up mate.

We'll get one goal and play out the rest of the game. Standard.

Don't think it will be all that straight forward unfortunately :bhangra: Basel are going to be much more up for this than us. If we perform at our best we will crush them of course but I doubt we will, especially with the cushion of knowing we can beat them in the next leg if we have to. Expecting a half hearted effort.

Latest