The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am a psychology graduate :eek: and i think less than 10% of the students in the same year went on to do a PhD in CP or a psychology-related masters. A small group of people joined graduate schemes in all sorts of industries. The rest just ended up in entry-level Human Resources/ Marketing/ Admin/ Operations/ Sales related jobs in medium-sized companies, NHS, not-for-profit organisations etc. So, i completely agree with you that a majority of us should not really have bothered doing a psychology degree. Yes, of course, the Psychology degree taught us tranferable skills, but what degree wouldn't? I 100% think it would be more constructive and insightful to spend a gap year travelling or gaining industrial experience before some young people make a decision on what degree subjects they want to pursue at university level unless they really have a great deal of interest in Psychology.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by FuLLuPMepOrtION
obviously, it's probably very difficult and i respect that, but why would anyone want to spend £27,000 for a direct entry into the largest graduate unemployment market?

Psychology degrees are fairly useful. You can get into other branches of work with a psychology degree like working for the NHS.
Original post by Enavor
Psychology degrees are fairly useful. You can get into other branches of work with a psychology degree like working for the NHS.

I agree. There are loads of jobs that use the skills from a psychology degree, including jobs in the NHS. Have a look at the BPS web page for health psychology http://www.health-psychology.org.uk/career-paths-in-health-psychology/career-paths-in-health-psychology.cfm or any of these postrgrad websites.
http://covhealthpsych.com/what-its-really-like-being-on-our-course/
http://www.stir.ac.uk/postgraduate/programme-information/prospectus/psychology/health-psychology/
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/psychology/postgraduate/taught_courses/msc_health_psychology.page?
Not as unemployable as media, film and arts, trust me.
Reply 24
Original post by FilmExpert
Not as unemployable as media, film and arts, trust me.

In case you're making the mistake I've seen people make time and again on this site, I'll point out that an Arts degree is not study of art, and does not fit in with media and film. Pretty much half of all degrees are Arts degrees.
I applied to study a degree in Psychology because I was interested in mental health, only to find that much of the course isn't really about that, it's about statistics and devising stupid experiments to see whether people will be less aggressive whilst playing a video game if they have a cup of cold lemonade in their right hand :rolleyes:

So I can sort of see your point. To actually do anything related to the field you also need a Phd. That's an extra three years sucked out of your life.

Needless to say I dropped out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by MrHappy_J
I applied to study a degree in Psychology because I was interested in mental health, only to find that much of the course isn't really about that, it's about statistics and devising stupid experiments to see whether people will be less aggressive whilst playing a video game if they have a cup of cold lemonade in their right hand :rolleyes:

So I can sort of see your point. To actually do anything related to the field you also need a Phd. That's an extra three years sucked out of your life.

Needless to say I dropped out.

Did you not think to actually research the course before applying for it and going to uni to study it? It's not that hard to find out that it's largely not about mental health...
Original post by Ronove
Did you not think to actually research the course before applying for it and going to uni to study it? It's not that hard to find out that it's largely not about mental health...

Of course I researched the course, I'm not a fool, but nothing can prepare you for the number of mickey mouse experiments you have to learn about and recreate, the SPSS, the statistics and the general boredom.
Not to mention the biological components. If I thought I was capable of learning the different neurotransmitters and the chemicals that they release or absorb, I would have entered for a medical degree.

It's called "psychology"- the study of the mind...so of course it should be largely about mental health? Otherwise, what course is?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Of course I researched the course, I'm not a fool, but nothing can prepare you for the number of mickey mouse experiments you have to learn about and recreate, the SPSS, the statistics and the general boredom.

It's called "psychology"- the study of the mind...so of course it should be largely about mental health? Otherwise, what course is?

...the mental health parts of Medicine, or Nursing (Mental Health)? Or counselling courses? You're telling me you experienced some of the Psychology course and still don't understand what else it could be about other than mental health?
Original post by Ronove
...the mental health parts of Medicine, or Nursing (Mental Health)? Or counselling courses? You're telling me you experienced some of the Psychology course and still don't understand what else it could be about other than mental health?

You can't do a counselling course without a degree.
I don't have the brains or the A levels to do medicine and I don't particularly want to be a nurse.

I don't think you've done your research properly.
What are you studying/did you study, OP? And anyway, there's no jobs in anything nowadays. My degree's one where everyone was like "Oh, you'll definitely get a job with that." The second you start uni "Oh yeah, the job market is b******s". I mean, it's not nearly as bad as some other careers but it is definitely getting harder no matter what degree you do. The truth is, we can't just walk into jobs anymore, we've got to work for them so I guess we just have to make the most of it and be glad that we're even getting a higher education at all, some people would be desperate just to learn how to read.
Reply 31
You can't do a counselling course without a degree.
I don't have the brains or the A levels to do medicine and I don't particularly want to be a nurse.

I don't think you've done your research properly.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/counsellor_entry_requirements.htm
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

And I don't give a **** what you want to do, I said that those things, rather than Psychology, were what you do if you want to work with mental health, not that you should do them.
Original post by Ronove
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/counsellor_entry_requirements.htm
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

And I don't give a **** what you want to do, I said that those things, rather than Psychology, were what you do if you want to work with mental health, not that you should do them.

looks like you posted that link without reading the contents.
requirements include a DEGREE or HND QUALIFICATION or previous experience in counselling.

you're being very rude for no reason
:rolleyes:
Reply 33
looks like you posted that link without reading the contents.
requirements include a DEGREE or HND QUALIFICATION or previous experience in counselling.

you're being very rude for no reason
:rolleyes:

Try reading more than the first ****ing sentence. You're the one who started being rude.

Requirements for certificate-level courses tend to be flexible and entry without a degree or HND/foundation degree is fairly common.
Original post by Ronove
Try reading more than the first ****ing sentence. You're the one who started being rude.

CERTIFICATE level courses. Doesn't really mean youll be qualified as a chartered counsellor accredited by the BPS. You need a Masters for that at least.

how was I being rude? if you want to argue about this at 3am at least ****ing know what you're talking about.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
All degrees are pretty much pointless to most jobs. So if people enjoy psychology then why not study it? They might meet a fellow psychologist and get married.
Reply 36
CERTIFICATE level courses. Doesn't really mean youll be qualified as a chartered counsellor accredited by the BPS. You need a Masters for that at least.

how was I being rude? if you want to argue about this at 3am at least ****ing know what you're talking about.

It quite clearly says that you can get onto diploma courses with a certificate. Of course you can't do a Masters without a BA/BSc. You don't have to do a Masters to become a counsellor though. Stop making up reasons why you can't do it. You seem to do this with every issue you come up with on this site.

Edit: And if you insist on wanting to do a Masters, do some other degree if you can't hack Psychology. There are multiple ones you can use as a stepping stone. If you can't spend three years doing something that gets you there then I'd suggest you don't actually want it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
It quite clearly says that you can get onto diploma courses with a certificate. Of course you can't do a Masters without a BA/BSc. You don't have to do a Masters to become a counsellor though. Stop making up reasons why you can't do it. You seem to do this with every issue you come up with on this site.

Edit: And if you insist on wanting to do a Masters, do some other degree if you can't hack Psychology. There are multiple ones you can use as a stepping stone. If you can't spend three years doing something that gets you there then I'd suggest you don't actually want it.

Like I already said, I dropped out of uni.
Reply 38
Like I already said, I dropped out of uni.

I know that. So go back (unless you did more than one year in which case you may need to save up some money first).
Original post by Ronove
I know that. So go back (unless you did more than one year in which case you may need to save up some money first).

why would I want to do that even if I could?

Latest

Trending

Trending