The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

For those having problems with text size, is it just is post content or is it elsewhere too?
Original post by RK
For those having problems with text size, is it just is post content or is it elsewhere too?

For me its post content and home screen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone! :biggrin:

Thank you so much for all of the feedback over the last day, many of you have offered us excellent constructive feedback that is helping us improve the update just made. Although there are some areas we need to address, it’s been great receiving the many positive comments about the direction as well.

Based on your feedback I’d like to summarise all of the main issues you’ve raised.

Items being adjusted immediately
(these are already going through development and design as I type :biggrin:)

Who quoted me widget the read icon is hard to spot because it’s not light enough. This is being addressed right now.

Rep icons need adjusting so faded when no rep clicked otherwise it looks like all posts have been neg repped. This has been fixed on our test server and should be live soon.

Orange reply / quote buttons these need to be revisited because the colour contrast with the blue is too strong making them stand out too much, also there are comments about the size and design. This is being worked on by our design team right now, I'll let you know once an updated solution is ready and what is being done to them.

The link at the top of quotes where it says “Original post by ...” has been swapped. We are going to swap it back so the link is on ‘Original post’. This is being fixed right now.

Arial font to explain, the decision to move to Arial was made last year when we went through a lengthy process to create TSR’s distinctive design and look, it’s just taken a while to implement on the live site. The reason for choosing it was for i) its friendlier style compared to verdana (this is obviously subjective and everyone has their own preferences) ii) its common use across the web and elsewhere iii) accessibility. Throughout the testing process, there was no major objection to the font. However, in the original designs, the font was slightly bigger than what is live, so this will be contributing to it being harder to read. Many of the complaints definitely seem to focus on size, so we'd like to see how you all feel once the slightly larger size goes live.

In addition to the above fixes we are making, we are also aware of the following.

Indentation of posts there has been both positive and negative feedback on this. The decision to do this was to help people read the posts themselves as there is more space around the text and each post's content all lines up in a thread, so you can skim down reading the conversation without the other stuff on the page getting in the way. Because of the positive reaction to this, we'd like to give it a bit more time to see how everyone feels once they have adjusted to it, so please keep us updated over the coming week.

Add an icon explanation in About TSR pages -some people have requested a key somewhere on the site, which we will create soon

Design feeling too young this is something we are aware of, although we have had lots and lots of positive comments about the new style and blob characters in particular. There are actually other elements of the brand that are more grown up and balance out the more stylised graphics. For instance, hand drawn illustrations and photographs (not really used on the site yet). These will gradually be added to help balance it out. We do have a lot of feedback everyday asking us to make the site more colourful and to add pictures, so that’s what we are working towards. I'd definitely like to continue talking about the design with you to help us get it right.

Star for watched stuff this is actually to replace the ‘eye’ icon which a large number of people did not like when we added it, so this is actually addressing people’s feedback from the last changes.

i's in tltles looking like l's - yes, this is a problem and something we're trying to fix, it's a bit of a problem with the font itself though - I'll keep you updated

Do you feel that this list covers all of the biggest priorities? I know there will be other minor issues and personal preferences but for now, to help us address the main things quickly, it would be really useful for you to check this and help us narrow down the list.

To help us address everything, the best way to work with us is through explanation and constructive feedback. A bunch of us are reading every post and the most useful ones are the people who explain why something isn't right. E.g. "every post looks like it's been neg repped" rather than "I don't like the new rep icons"

Thanks - I'm looking forward to working with you all over the coming week on this :biggrin:

Jack
Original post by Captain Jack
Hello everyone! :biggrin:

Thank you so much for all of the feedback over the last day, many of you have offered us excellent constructive feedback that is helping us improve the update just made. Although there are some areas we need to address, it’s been great receiving the many positive comments about the direction as well.

Based on your feedback I’d like to summarise all of the main issues you’ve raised.

Who quoted me widget the read icon is hard to spot because it’s not light enough. This is being addressed right now.

Rep icons need adjusting so faded when no rep clicked otherwise it looks like all posts have been neg repped. This has been fixed on our test server and should be live soon.

Orange reply / quote buttons these need to be revisited because the colour contrast with the blue is too strong making them stand out too much, also there are comments about the size and design. This is being worked on by our design team right now, I'll let you know once an updated solution is ready and what is being done to them.

The link at the top of quotes where it says “Original post by ...” has been swapped. We are going to swap it back so the link is on ‘Original post’. This is being fixed right now.

Arial font to explain, the decision to move to Arial was made last year when we went through a lengthy process to create TSR’s distinctive design and look, it’s just taken a while to implement on the live site. The reason for choosing it was for i) its friendlier style compared to verdana (this is obviously subjective and everyone has their own preferences) ii) its common use across the web and elsewhere iii) accessibility. Throughout the testing process, there was no major objection to the font. However, in the original designs, the font was slightly bigger than what is live, so this will be contributing to it being harder to read. Many of the complaints definitely seem to focus on size, so we'd like to see how you all feel once the slightly larger size goes live.

In addition to the above fixes we are making, we are also aware of the following.

Indentation of posts there has been both positive and negative feedback on this. The decision to do this was to help people read the posts themselves as there is more space around the text and each post's content all lines up in a thread, so you can skim down reading the conversation without the other stuff on the page getting in the way. Because of the positive reaction to this, we'd like to give it a bit more time to see how everyone feels once they have adjusted to it, so please keep us updated over the coming week.

Add an icon explanation in About TSR pages -some people have requested a key somewhere on the site, which we will create soon

Design feeling too young this is something we are aware of, although we have had lots and lots of positive comments about the new style and blob characters in particular. There are actually other elements of the brand that are more grown up and balance out the more stylised graphics. For instance, hand drawn illustrations and photographs (not really used on the site yet). These will gradually be added to help balance it out. We do have a lot of feedback everyday asking us to make the site more colourful and to add pictures, so that’s what we are working towards. I'd definitely like to continue talking about the design with you to help us get it right.

Star for watched stuff this is actually to replace the ‘eye’ icon which a large number of people did not like when we added it, so this is actually addressing people’s feedback from the last changes.

i's in tltles looking like l's - yes, this is a problem and something we're trying to fix, it's a bit of a problem with the font itself though - I'll keep you updated

Do you feel that this list covers all of the biggest priorities? I know there will be other minor issues and personal preferences but for now, to help us address the main things quickly, it would be really useful for you to check this and help us narrow down the list.

To help us address everything, the best way to work with us is through explanation and constructive feedback. A bunch of us are reading every post and the most useful ones are the people who explain why something isn't right. E.g. "every post looks like it's been neg repped" rather than "I don't like the new rep icons"

Thanks - I'm looking forward to working with you all over the coming week on this :biggrin:

Jack

Is this a complete list? Are some things purposefully missed off?

[*]Arial font to explain, the decision to move to Arial was made last year when we went through a lengthy process to create TSR’s distinctive design and look, it’s just taken a while to implement on the live site. The reason for choosing it was for i) its friendlier style compared to verdana (this is obviously subjective and everyone has their own preferences) ii) its common use across the web and elsewhere iii) accessibility. Throughout the testing process, there was no major objection to the font. However, in the original designs, the font was slightly bigger than what is live, so this will be contributing to it being harder to read. Many of the complaints definitely seem to focus on size, so we'd like to see how you all feel once the slightly larger size goes live.

I think Verdana has been the default font on pretty much every forum I've ever been on. Arial reminds me of the early 2000s when it started replacing Times New Roman as the ubiquitous font, and then I started seeing a lot of Verdana a few years after that. The thing about Verdana is that it has a square look which makes it easier to read, whereas Arial is more rectangular and looks squished.

I'm not some weird font enthusiast but the resolution on my screen was pretty high which made text small and compact even with Verdana, Arial just makes it ever so slightly harder to read than it was before. I don't think changing the font size would help too much as the problem is with the font itself, but it might.

I'm curious - if accessibility was one of the goals then why hard code the font and font size instead of leaving the font to go to a users default settings?

Most browsers have arial as the default sans serif font so the result and appearance for most users would be the same but anyone who *does* have a different preference will see that preference instead?
Reply 386
Wow. This is really ugly.

Even I think that, and my own website is bright orange.

The orange is too bright compared to everything else, the grey post headers are kinda boring but I'll get used to them, the blob characters are cute but they're not really used widely enough to become an integral part of the design (and should totally become the basis for a new emoticon set!), and the star on the "Watched threads" box looks like it was drawn by a child with a large felt-tip pen - a sharper and more symmetrical icon would look less childish.

I like that solid colours are being used as the basis of the design, and the large icons are nice and touch-friendly, but the design overall just doesn't quite gel. It's a nice base, but it doesn't all work together as-is.

At least I, for one, don't mind the font - but Arial is so generic that it's boring :tongue:

Oh, and the rep gems are great and way better than the old ones, but the rep buttons at the bottom of posts are terrible because they're too wide and there's not enough distinction between repped and unrepped posts.

While we're on the subject of the rep gems, the help text that pops up when you hover over the question mark is ungrammatical:
"The Reputation gems seen here indicate how well reputed the user is, red gem indicate negative reputation and green indicates a good rep."
It should probably read "The reputation gems seen here indicate how well reputed the user is; red gems indicate negative reputation and green gems indicate good rep." But I'm not sure about the "how well reputed the user is" part...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by dendodge
While we're on the subject of the rep gems, the help text that pops up when you hover over the question mark is ungrammatical:
"The Reputation gems seen here indicate how well reputed the user is, red gem indicate negative reputation and green indicates a good rep."
It should probably read "The reputation gems seen here indicate how well reputed the user is; red gems indicate negative reputation and green gems indicate good rep." But I'm not sure about the "how well reputed the user is" part...

This

Also - can someone take the exclamation mark symbol away from (and explain sentence case to) whoever is copywriting the alt text - "Positive Rating!", "Negative Rating!", "Reply With Quote", "Multi-Quote This Message", "Quick reply to this message" etc etc looks like a bit of a dogs dinner
Original post by PQ
This

Also - can someone take the exclamation mark symbol away from (and explain sentence case to) whoever is copywriting the alt text - "Positive Rating!", "Negative Rating!", "Reply With Quote", "Multi-Quote This Message", "Quick reply to this message" etc etc looks like a bit of a dogs dinner

I agree it seems rather unnecessary.
Original post by tooambitious
Is this a complete list? Are some things purposefully missed off?

No, as mentioned I am trying to cover of the major items that have been raised by a number of people. That helps us to prioritise and deal with the biggest issues first.

I did ask "Do you feel that this list covers all of the biggest priorities?" so if you think it doesn't please just let me know and I can add to it :smile:
Original post by PQ
This

The text around the site like this is stuff which is manually being updated. All the capital letters on second/third words etc will gradually be removed. I don't think there have been any changes with these bits of text in the recent updates, but there should hopefully be some soon.

In fact, I've taken a few minutes to go edit 10 or so phrases to sort out the capitalisation...
(edited 10 years ago)

Are you saying that you're keeping arial but making it bigger...? Big arial doesn't solve the problem half so easily as normal sized verdana... Personally plus size font irritates me at least as much as narrow font.

Please would you let users choose their fonts and font sizes? Seriously. Don't make me read bigger text.

The problem with the 'star for watched stuff' is the particular star, not that it's a star. Stars are fine. An asymmetrical child's drawing of a star isn't.
(edited 10 years ago)
Still can't open spoilers :frown:
No, as mentioned I am trying to cover of the major items that have been raised by a number of people. That helps us to prioritise and deal with the biggest issues first.

I did ask "Do you feel that this list covers all of the biggest priorities?" so if you think it doesn't please just let me know and I can add to it :smile:

There is a bug where the font set by font bbcode is ignored - such as your own post where you used Verdana for the quote, but is all appeared in Arial. (Or my post should be in Arial black)
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't know of you were replying to me at all, becaus nothing you said was specific to my case (except the time)...

I replied to what you said, if you want to moan then go ahead, but the admin are working on the bugs and issues, so have a bit of patience - bugs like the spoilers are not necessarily quick fixes.

Oh, and in future - put responses outside of the post you're quoting so that people can respond to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I replied to what you said, if you want to moan then go ahead, but the admin are working on the bugs and issues, so have a bit of patience - bugs like the spoilers are not necessarily quick fixes.

Oh, and in future - put responses outside of the post you're quoting so that people can respond to them

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I've shown why your response was inadequate. There's no need to continue this.

I don't know how to do that. If you're that bothered you could delete your text, so the quote is made up of just what I said, surely?
Reply 396
I think the greying out/watermark thing that was previously present in the who quoted me section was better than the new one. It was more distinguishable.
Reply 397
Also, the hyperlink on quotes in a post seems to have vanished :colonhash:
Reply 398
I think I've shown why your response was inadequate.

I don't wish to have an argument, as this thread is to provide feedback on the new design and areas that need to be looked at, but you did make a sigh smiley as your only reply to my last post to you. Would you mind explaining why you did this (either here or via PM)?

Back on topic, as Captain Jack explained, his post was not a complete listing of all things that are going to be looked at, but the areas which are being treated as a priority. Do you have any other things that you feel need to be looked at/changed as a priority?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ash92:)
Also, the hyperlink on quotes in a post seems to have vanished :colonhash:

The hyperlink to the source of the original post is placed with the username. In Captain Jack's latest update, he says this is being immediately being worked on -

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending