The Student Room Group

AEA Mathematics 25/06 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brittanna
I hate vectors as well :tongue:.

Original post by MathsNerd1
I don't know many people that actually like vectors that much, but the fact I don't draw diagrams might be the main reason I find them the hardest.
Posted from TSR Mobile

AEA papers often contain a long vector question, so maybe it's time to get them sorted. A large diagram is highly recommended.
Original post by tiny hobbit
The papers start from 2002. All the papers and mark schemes are on the Edexcel website here:
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/aea/9801/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks for this, I'll start on them in a day or two to see where I currently stand, plus I'm also revisiting the areas in C1-2 that I haven't used in a while to make sure I can truly understand all the questions set.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AEA papers often contain a long vector question, so maybe it's time to get them sorted. A large diagram is highly recommended.

I just don't understand the ability if being able to draw a 3D line in 2D but I suppose you're right as it'll help me tackle the question when it comes to it, thanks. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just don't understand the ability if being able to draw a 3D line in 2D but I suppose you're right as it'll help me tackle the question when it comes to it, thanks. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't try to make it a 3D diagram or to use the coordinates. Just show the relationships that you have found out between the various points and lines such as angles, right angles, equal lengths...
Don't try to make it a 3D diagram or to use the coordinates. Just show the relationships that you have found out between the various points and lines such as angles, right angles, equal lengths...

Oh okay, thanks for this as I should now be able to use the diagrams to help me through the questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Oh okay, thanks for this as I should now be able to use the diagrams to help me through the questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi do you know when the deadline is to be entered for the AEA?
Original post by Aqib7
Hi do you know when the deadline is to be entered for the AEA?

I'm not too sure sorry, I just entered on the last day before having to pay a late entry fee for all the other A level exams, maybe somebody else might know or it could say on Edexcel's website?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
How goes AEA for you guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not too bad really, I've only done a paper and a few questions from another and so far I'm currently scoring around 65, so just need to increase that a little and then I should be able to get into Warwick, providing I meet the other entry requirements!

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Not too bad really, I've only done a paper and a few questions from another and so far I'm currently scoring around 65, so just need to increase that a little and then I should be able to get into Warwick, providing I meet the other entry requirements!

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah its going really well thanks. Finally trying to do all papers. I did Jan 2007 time last Sunday. I got 78 and I just give myself the 7 :P.so 85. I feel pretty good with that since the distinction boundaries was 68. It's kinda re-assuring because even without doing the later questions you can get a distinction.

I may firm Warwick as well depending on how well I do on the rest of the papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jarasta
Yeah its going really well thanks. Finally trying to do all papers. I did Jan 2007 time last Sunday. I got 78 and I just give myself the 7 :P.so 85. I feel pretty good with that since the distinction boundaries was 68. It's kinda re-assuring because even without doing the later questions you can get a distinction.

I may firm Warwick as well depending on how well I do on the rest of the papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very nice! My only problem is I've forgotten the extra topics that are in C1 and C2 like the geometric series and arithmetic series and such, I'm pretty confident with the C4 and C3 content although vectors might be my downfall!

I've already firmed Warwick from a near impossible position so the pressure is on and no one has any faith that'll i'll be able to achieve the grades needed, just need to prove them wrong now! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Very nice! My only problem is I've forgotten the extra topics that are in C1 and C2 like the geometric series and arithmetic series and such, I'm pretty confident with the C4 and C3 content although vectors might be my downfall!

I've already firmed Warwick from a near impossible position so the pressure is on and no one has any faith that'll i'll be able to achieve the grades needed, just need to prove them wrong now! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha i know the feeling about nobody having faith in you getting the grades, in my school whenever somebody asks what i need to get they're like 'WOW are you sure you'll get those'. Yeah just smash your exams and your made for life.
Reply 32

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was like that with the c2 stuff at first. But I remembered it through questions and the formula book formulas. I couldnt be bothered to properly revisit c1 and c2.

My problem is some of the more geometrical questions. And vector ones. But I can usually do the first parts.
Just remember you only need to get Into the 70s and that's achievable by missing some of the tougher questions. You will get an extra 7 marks if you write neatly and so on :P.

My teachers didn't believe me at my first year 12 parents evening when I declared (naively) that I was going to Warwick. But ive worked hard and improved, they believe I have a shot now which is nice.
Especially since in our relatively new school no one has achieved an A* in FM. In fact I had to ask to get it on my UCAS.

I'm sure we can all be the odds though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by jarasta

Just remember you only need to get Into the 70s and that's achievable by missing some of the tougher questions. You will get an extra 7 marks if you write neatly and so on :P.

You really won't. You get the additional marks by being concise, by thinking about restrictions (e.g. solution works because x0x\geq 0) and by being largely correct in lots of questions.
O_o there are extra marks for things other than the ones shown in mark schemes? Could someone explain that in more detail please?
Reply 35
Original post by hassassin04
O_o there are extra marks for things other than the ones shown in mark schemes? Could someone explain that in more detail please?

There are 7 marks available for "style, clarity and presentation".

So make sure you're stylish, clear and presentable!
Reply 36
Original post by shamika
You really won't. You get the additional marks by being concise, by thinking about restrictions (e.g. solution works because x0x\geq 0) and by being largely correct in lots of questions.
I said so on. I'm sure I would at-least get most of those. I always usually think about those kind of things before and after the question and try to be as rigorous as possible.

according to the markscheme,
'For a fully correct (or nearly fully correct) solution that is neat and
succinct in question 2 to question 7
T1 For a good attempt at the whole paper. Progress in all questions.
Pick best 3 S1/S2 scores to form total'

Its not exactly that difficult.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by jarasta
I said so on. I'm sure I would at-least get most of those. I always usually think about those kind of things before and after the question and try to be as rigorous as possible.

according to the markscheme,
'For a fully correct (or nearly fully correct) solution that is neat and
succinct in question 2 to question 7
T1 For a good attempt at the whole paper. Progress in all questions.
Pick best 3 S1/S2 scores to form total'

Its not exactly that difficult.

Read the mark schemes more carefully - for example, in the 2009 mark scheme, Q4 (b)(iv), the second S mark required you to note that you reject the a=0 solution because you're told a > 0. Thus for Q4 the rules for awarding the additional marks were:

S1: > 12 (so at least 13)
S2: > 12 and getting the S+ mark

The S and T marks aren't awarded consistently so be careful in assuming you'll automatically get them. Also, my comment was more for others reading yours and thinking "oh, if I write more neatly I might get extra marks". You might not think that's misleading but it could potentially be :smile:. Neatness is about being concise and about having a logical flow to your work, not so much the handwriting, or whether you've crossed out loads in your initial attempts at a question.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by shamika
Read the mark schemes more carefully - for example, in the 2009 mark scheme, Q4 (b)(iv), the second S mark required you to note that you reject the a=0 solution because you're told a > 0. Thus for Q4 the rules for awarding the additional marks were:

S1: > 12 (so at least 13)
S2: > 12 and getting the S+ mark

The S and T marks aren't awarded consistently so be careful in assuming you'll automatically get them. Also, my comment was more for others reading yours and thinking "oh, if I write more neatly I might get extra marks". You might not think that's misleading but it could potentially be :smile:. Neatness is about being concise and about having a logical flow to your work, not so much the handwriting, or whether you've crossed out loads in your initial attempts at a question.

aaah fair enough. You are correct, they don't give them just for handwriting etc. Am I right in thinking that those 7 points are also for the elegance of your solutions?

Its probably a bad idea to make a paper yourself. Personally I'm always hash on myself. But at the same time its easy to be too generous to yourself.
I'd advise anyone taking AEA to be trying to get their target grades, Merit or Distinctions without taking into account the additional marks I suppose.
If anyone has done the specimen paper, what do you think the grade boundaries would have been?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending