The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Accommodation at Strathclyde University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
A short review of accomodation:
When I first got my offer I wasn't too happy. Andrew Ure Hall is supposed to be off campus, but I think that's a bit too much said. It actually is only 7 minutes walking distance to John Andreson, or the campus village, which is, as I got used to a lot of walking in Glasgow, nothing at all. So, the location is actually really good and meanwhile I really prefer to live off campus since, it is quiet most of the time and nice whereas Birkbeck full of party addicted Freshers is, who are quite noisy. Another advantage of Andrew Ure Hall is, that it is next to Aldi and Tesco and Morrisson's isn't far away either. To the flats themselves: When I moved in, it wasn't too clean and I had to wipe out the cupboards. The rooms are small, the mattresses are ****e but once you moved all your stuff the rooms actually look very nice! The wardrobe is big enough, you have a desk, an office chair, a few boards, the bed, a sink and an additional chest of drawers. The shower is very small and it's the part I like the least. Good thing is it is separated from the toilet. The kitchen is equipped with 1-2 fridges, depending on you getting a 4 or 6 people flat, a microwave, an electric kettle and enough cupboards. There is a table and chairs. The thing I really don't like a re the sort of waiting room chairs in the living room. We seldomly spent time there as it really isn't nice. We spent about 25-40 pds on electricity and gas per person per month. The flat comes with a vaccumer as well, though you will have to buy the cleaning stuff by yourself, but you can find most of that stuff at Poundland for a pound so won't be too expensive. So that's about all I can say. I like it and it really isn't as bad as some people say!
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 381
Original post by FinnLassie

Ooh, what have you applied for? :smile: x

That seems fair! Thanks :smile: I've applied for biomedical science but have still to hear back :frown: Hopefully I get in as Starthclyde is my first choice and it sounds like a good uni from what I've heard on here.
Original post by emmiemce
That seems fair! Thanks :smile: I've applied for biomedical science but have still to hear back :frown: Hopefully I get in as Starthclyde is my first choice and it sounds like a good uni from what I've heard on here.

I know people doing biomedical and they really like the course. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Reply 383
I know people doing biomedical and they really like the course. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Thank you! I got an email yesterday and they have mad me a dual offer! So happy :biggrin:
Reply 384
Hi! This has probably already came up, but I just wondered whether someone could tell me whether I am likely to get one of my choices of accommodation.. I have a conditional offer, so wondered whether that would mean that I was less likely to get one of my accommodation preferences? Does it work that unconditional offer holders get their first or second choice and other applicants may get one of their lower choices or somewhere completely different?

I am still trying to decide between two unis for my firm and just wanted to see whether I'd end up somewhere I liked or not... I'm not a really big party person, so really don't want to be in Birkbeck; if I do put Strathclyde as my firm, which I think I probably will, I think I'll put James Goold and Chancellors Hall after that I'm not sure. Do these seem like sensible choices? Final question (honest!) can any current or ex Strath students that stayed in halls tell me how good they are at selecting your flatmates?

Sorry for all the questions! :colondollar:
Original post by lulo
Hi! This has probably already came up, but I just wondered whether someone could tell me whether I am likely to get one of my choices of accommodation.. I have a conditional offer, so wondered whether that would mean that I was less likely to get one of my accommodation preferences? Does it work that unconditional offer holders get their first or second choice and other applicants may get one of their lower choices or somewhere completely different?

I am still trying to decide between two unis for my firm and just wanted to see whether I'd end up somewhere I liked or not... I'm not a really big party person, so really don't want to be in Birkbeck; if I do put Strathclyde as my firm, which I think I probably will, I think I'll put James Goold and Chancellors Hall after that I'm not sure. Do these seem like sensible choices? Final question (honest!) can any current or ex Strath students that stayed in halls tell me how good they are at selecting your flatmates?

Sorry for all the questions! :colondollar:

No, you are not less likely than others. Only if it becomes unsuccessful, well, I guess we all can do the 1+1=2 at that point. :tongue: People who have an unconditional before you will in my beliefs receive an offer of accommodation before as well, but don't quote me on this. Most of the people in halls will be school leavers and will probably get their offers turned into unconditionals and unsuccessfuls at the same time as you do. :smile:

I have a few coursemates in Chancellors and in my experiences they party hard. I come home quite late on the weekends and there's ALWAYS a flat party in there and it's very, very loud. Some of the noise must be coming from Birkbeck too, though.

James Goold is the fanciest and most expensive halls of them all as you get en-suite. If you can afford it, go for it.

James Blyth Court and Thomas Campbell Court are identical and ok in my opinion. We don't have cleaners coming in but personally I like it as I want to clean up after myself. The most negative thing though has to be the lighting both in the rooms and the shared areas (excluding the toilet and bathroom). In the rooms you only have a wall light and a desk lamp and ugh, as winter was not too far away, let me tell you, it was SO depressing to be in my room or the flat in general! The lounge has some pretty pathetic tiny wall lamps as well, even worse than in the bedroom and they don't help much unless it's VERY dark outside so that you can see the difference. I thought about getting an extra lamp in my room for the winter but as life's busy I forgot about it and am once again enjoying of the light... :tongue:

Derp a derp, if you have any further questions do ask me here. Won't guarantee a quick answer as I'm about to start placement tomorrow but will check stuff on Saturday.
Reply 386
No, you are not less likely than others. Only if it becomes unsuccessful, well, I guess we all can do the 1+1=2 at that point. :tongue: People who have an unconditional before you will in my beliefs receive an offer of accommodation before as well, but don't quote me on this. Most of the people in halls will be school leavers and will probably get their offers turned into unconditionals and unsuccessfuls at the same time as you do. :smile:

I have a few coursemates in Chancellors and in my experiences they party hard. I come home quite late on the weekends and there's ALWAYS a flat party in there and it's very, very loud. Some of the noise must be coming from Birkbeck too, though.

James Goold is the fanciest and most expensive halls of them all as you get en-suite. If you can afford it, go for it.

James Blyth Court and Thomas Campbell Court are identical and ok in my opinion. We don't have cleaners coming in but personally I like it as I want to clean up after myself. The most negative thing though has to be the lighting both in the rooms and the shared areas (excluding the toilet and bathroom). In the rooms you only have a wall light and a desk lamp and ugh, as winter was not too far away, let me tell you, it was SO depressing to be in my room or the flat in general! The lounge has some pretty pathetic tiny wall lamps as well, even worse than in the bedroom and they don't help much unless it's VERY dark outside so that you can see the difference. I thought about getting an extra lamp in my room for the winter but as life's busy I forgot about it and am once again enjoying of the light... :tongue:

Derp a derp, if you have any further questions do ask me here. Won't guarantee a quick answer as I'm about to start placement tomorrow but will check stuff on Saturday.

Thank you so much, that was really helpful! Will probably not put Chancellors high up on my preference list now!

Do you know much about Forbes hall? Also, did you think the Uni were good at matching you with flat mates similar to you? This is one of my biggest worries... I know they ask what you'd do on a Friday night and whether you are a night/morning person.. Are there any other questions they ask to try and match you with other students?

Thanks again for your help! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Popppppy
Hmm I can't think of anything strict or anything that they do.
Compared to other unis they are really relaxed.
Anyone can come or go, parties are fine unless they get really out of hand (like the whole student village turns up).

The only thing that annoyed me was the cleaning inspectors, we got failed because our bathroom was dirty. My flatmate was throwing up from food poisoning during the inspection and the woman failed us for that!

Hello, I'm about to do my PG in Strathclyde in the coming Sep. It's such a difficult decision to make on acommondation. I can't decide which one would be better, uni halls or private ones? As an international student, I want to get to know more people from different backgrounds. In addition, I will cook sometimes. Any advice or suggestion for me to choose the right place to live?
Original post by angel_2013
Hello, I'm about to do my PG in Strathclyde in the coming Sep. It's such a difficult decision to make on acommondation. I can't decide which one would be better, uni halls or private ones? As an international student, I want to get to know more people from different backgrounds. In addition, I will cook sometimes. Any advice or suggestion for me to choose the right place to live?

If it's post grad I assume you're a mature student? (aged in your mid twenties or older?)
If so I would recommend uni halls because they have specific mature student halls (Andrew Ure Halls and Patrick Thomas Court) so you're not stuck with a load of rowdy freshers partying all night.

If you're not a mature student then I don't know if there's much of a difference.
I know the uni is really good at matching roommates up and tend to put overseas students together, whereas I'm not sure if the private halls just do it randomly.
If it's post grad I assume you're a mature student? (aged in your mid twenties or older?)
If so I would recommend uni halls because they have specific mature student halls (Andrew Ure Halls and Patrick Thomas Court) so you're not stuck with a load of rowdy freshers partying all night.

If you're not a mature student then I don't know if there's much of a difference.
I know the uni is really good at matching roommates up and tend to put overseas students together, whereas I'm not sure if the private halls just do it randomly.

Yep, I'm in my mid-twenties:smile: Tbh I considered before to live in uni halls but I found some negative reviews online about facilities, environment, etc. The flat is lack of vigor and even in some flats people seldom communicate with each other. Besides, I'm a little concerned about sharing bills(could it cause tension among flatmates?). I'm out of EU so I can't go on the visiting day. It would be better if you can give me some pros and cons about the two halls you metioned~
Original post by steph.b
A short review of accomodation:
When I first got my offer I wasn't too happy. Andrew Ure Hall is supposed to be off campus, but I think that's a bit too much said. It actually is only 7 minutes walking distance to John Andreson, or the campus village, which is, as I got used to a lot of walking in Glasgow, nothing at all. So, the location is actually really good and meanwhile I really prefer to live off campus since, it is quiet most of the time and nice whereas Birkbeck full of party addicted Freshers is, who are quite noisy. Another advantage of Andrew Ure Hall is, that it is next to Aldi and Tesco and Morrisson's isn't far away either. To the flats themselves: When I moved in, it wasn't too clean and I had to wipe out the cupboards. The rooms are small, the mattresses are ****e but once you moved all your stuff the rooms actually look very nice! The wardrobe is big enough, you have a desk, an office chair, a few boards, the bed, a sink and an additional chest of drawers. The shower is very small and it's the part I like the least. Good thing is it is separated from the toilet. The kitchen is equipped with 1-2 fridges, depending on you getting a 4 or 6 people flat, a microwave, an electric kettle and enough cupboards. There is a table and chairs. The thing I really don't like a re the sort of waiting room chairs in the living room. We seldomly spent time there as it really isn't nice. We spent about 25-40 pds on electricity and gas per person per month. The flat comes with a vaccumer as well, though you will have to buy the cleaning stuff by yourself, but you can find most of that stuff at Poundland for a pound so won't be too expensive. So that's about all I can say. I like it and it really isn't as bad as some people say!

I got an offer for Andrew Ure Hall and at the same time I'm considering to live in Collegelands or Blackfriars. Could you give me some advice?
Reply 391
Does anyone know what collegelands is like to stay in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 392
I'm currently waiting to finish my units required to meet my conditions for Strathcylde, and I'm planning on moving to student halls if possible (where to be honest, I'm putting all of my eggs in one basket). I only live roughly 6 miles away from Strathclyde Uni, and I know of the >25 miles first rule, but does anyone know how it works for those that live closer?
As I have a conditional, I won't receive my unconditional offer until after my units are finished, marked, sent to Strathclyde and confirmed. What are the chances that I would still be able to find accommodation in the student halls? And will I still be able to get a choice as to where, or would I just be allocated a hall, with a "put-up-and-shut-up"?
Original post by Condooo
I'm currently waiting to finish my units required to meet my conditions for Strathcylde, and I'm planning on moving to student halls if possible (where to be honest, I'm putting all of my eggs in one basket). I only live roughly 6 miles away from Strathclyde Uni, and I know of the >25 miles first rule, but does anyone know how it works for those that live closer?
As I have a conditional, I won't receive my unconditional offer until after my units are finished, marked, sent to Strathclyde and confirmed. What are the chances that I would still be able to find accommodation in the student halls? And will I still be able to get a choice as to where, or would I just be allocated a hall, with a "put-up-and-shut-up"?

There were loads of empty rooms this year, they ran an article about it in the student paper, so you probably have a good chance of getting a room.

I assume however that these spare rooms are more likely to be in the cheaper, non-en suite, "less desirable" halls. Just put down your preferences on the form and hope for the best. I stayed in Thomas Campbell Court and it was fine.
Reply 394
There were loads of empty rooms this year, they ran an article about it in the student paper, so you probably have a good chance of getting a room.

I assume however that these spare rooms are more likely to be in the cheaper, non-en suite, "less desirable" halls. Just put down your preferences on the form and hope for the best. I stayed in Thomas Campbell Court and it was fine.

Thanks for the reply. Just found the application form through google. Conveniently, the service is shutting down in about 5 minutes, and should be down for about a further 10 afterwards. Don't know if it's for site maintenance or whatever. I'll stick an application in anyway. Out of interest, any recommendation as to which hall you prefer?
Reply 395
Original post by angel_2013
I got an offer for Andrew Ure Hall and at the same time I'm considering to live in Collegelands or Blackfriars. Could you give me some advice?

Collegelands and Blackfriars are more expensive but new, AUH is a little oldfashioned and gas and electricity is not included in the price, but it still stays a little cheaper. Roomsizes are pretty much the same but if you can afford I'd probably choose Collegelands over AUH cause in in AUH the livingrooms are all but cosy and nice! Distance to Uni is pretty much the same in any case!
hey everyone, I received a conditional offer for pharmacy and I am trying to find more information about accommodation and I am really confused now. Which is the best place? I've heard Chancellors is one of the best but it's a bit more expensive than the others.I am not fussy but I do want a clean place. Birbeck looks good to me but I see there are loud parties all the time there. I love parties but I will need quiet nights to study. Which place did you choose?
Reply 397
Original post by keishagreene17
hey everyone, I received a conditional offer for pharmacy and I am trying to find more information about accommodation and I am really confused now. Which is the best place? I've heard Chancellors is one of the best but it's a bit more expensive than the others.I am not fussy but I do want a clean place. Birbeck looks good to me but I see there are loud parties all the time there. I love parties but I will need quiet nights to study. Which place did you choose?

I haven't received a place yet as I'm still waiting on my unconditional offer to come through, but I applied for accommodation anyway. My order of preference was Forbes Hall/Garnett Hall/James Blyth Court: all priced mid-range, and they seem to have mostly positive reviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Condooo
I haven't received a place yet as I'm still waiting on my unconditional offer to come through, but I applied for accommodation anyway. My order of preference was Forbes Hall/Garnett Hall/James Blyth Court: all priced mid-range, and they seem to have mostly positive reviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with this. Forbes/Garnett/JBC (and TCC) are good, not too expensive and not too shabby. Garnett has the plus side of having your own sink in the bedroom.
great!! thanks a lot :smile:

Original post by Condooo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending