The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Better
I did the exact same finished in 50 Minutes. Thought I was some boss.

What I've learnt from Marking my own work on these Papers, is it's always better to just get it right 100% and not have to even look back rather than rushing.

CAN ANYONE HELP, I think it was C3 Paper G, it was Verify that something is a Factor of something else. I remember you have to equate it to 0 and substitute it in, but I can't remember why. I got the 2 marks, but I want to get why.

Think I have like 2 more questions, I need help with too, will check once I get my Paper.

Don't you remember factor theorem?

That stuff is C2 iirc.
Original post by justinawe
Yeah, something to with the price of a car.

Ah, that p(theta) question was a tricky one :colone: I almost fell for it myself, but fortunately I took a proper look at the question after that!

Sounds like a plan. Don't slow down too much though, or you'll end up running out of time like I did!

Yeah, it was something like that and yeah I didn't truly read the question, just saw the maximise and went straight through the process, I'll stop and actually read the questions next time to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'll only slow down enough to read the questions properly and check my working to make sure I haven't made any silly mistakes like the majority of the time :tongue:

100 UMS in both C3 and C4 here I come! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 842
Don't you remember factor theorem?

That stuff is C2 iirc.

There are a number of things in C1/C2 that I am not perfect on. :frown: :/

Ah kk thanks for telling me the name of it!
(edited 10 years ago)
I got 95 for C3 and I didn't do a single past paper.

I think you'll be alright :tongue:

I'm really hopefull about c4. My revisions all over the place though. Things keep occurring to affect any revision schedules I make

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 844
Original post by Better
I did the exact same finished in 50 Minutes. Thought I was some boss.

What I've learnt from Marking my own work on these Papers, is it's always better to just get it right 100% and not have to even look back rather than rushing.

CAN ANYONE HELP, I think it was C3 Paper G, it was Verify that something is a Factor of something else. I remember you have to equate it to 0 and substitute it in, but I can't remember why. I got the 2 marks, but I want to get why.

Think I have like 2 more questions, I need help with too, will check once I get my Paper.

The reason you would make 2x+3 = 0 is because if you want to prove something is a factor you would solve that factor when = 0, since factors occur when y = 0 therefore when 2x+3 = 0 > x=-3/2 and so on
I hope I made sense
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gaffer dean
yes because 2cos22x1=cos4x2cos^2 2x-1=cos4x can be written as 2(1sin22x)12(1-sin^22x)-1 (Since cos22x=1sin22xcos^22x=1-sin^22x) = 22sin22x1=12sin22x2-2sin^22x-1=1-2sin^22x

wouldn't it be easier if i was to make sin2xcos2x dx\int sin^2 x cos^2 x\ dx into (sinxcosx)2 \int (sinxcosx)^2\ and because sinxcosxsinxcosx is the same as 12sin2x\frac{1}{2} sin2x you can say (12sin2x)2\int (\frac{1}{2} sin2x)^2 which would then expand out to be (14sin22x)\int (\frac{1}{4} sin^22x). and since the identity is then you can sub in for the identity to make, taking out the 14\frac{1}{4} to make 1412(cos4x1)\frac{1}{4} \int \frac{-1}{2} (cos4x-1) integrate this and then times in by the 14\frac{1}{4} on the outside and it would give the answer
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by masryboy94
wouldn't it be easier if i was to make sin2xcos2x dx\int sin^2 x cos^2 x\ dx into (sinxcosx)2 \int (sinxcosx)^2\ and because sinxcosxsinxcosx is the same as 12sin2x\frac{1}{2} sin2x you can say (12sin2x)2\int (\frac{1}{2} sin2x)^2 which would then expand out to be (14sin22x)\int (\frac{1}{4} sin^22x). and since the identity is then you can sub in for the identity to make, taking out the14\frac{1}{4} to make1412(cos4x1)\frac{1}{4} \int \frac{-1}{2} (cos4x-1) integrate this and then times in by the 14\frac{1}{4} on the outside and it would give the answer

yes that's another way of doing it. Use the method which is easier for you. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
yes that's another way of doing it. Use the method which is easier for you. :smile:

okaay thanks :biggrin:
Im doing a level maths for d first time so cud u guys give me any advice on the steps to take once i finish c4 im almooooost finished now as in past pprs solomon pprs and stuff like that you guys are really good i wana learn from u guys :smile:
Original post by Revisionbug
Im doing a level maths for d first time so cud u guys give me any advice on the steps to take once i finish c4 im almooooost finished now as in past pprs solomon pprs and stuff like that you guys are really good i wana learn from u guys :smile:

Well you've done really well to finish off almost all past papers.
What you need to do after is go over the past papers and the questions you've done see where you've dropped marks.
Do do those questions and see if you can do them correctly if not then you need to go over them and see where the problem is.
Original post by Revisionbug

Original post by dan94adibi
Well you've done really well to finish off almost all past papers.
What you need to do after is go over the past papers and the questions you've done see where you've dropped marks.
Do do those questions and see if you can do them correctly if not then you need to go over them and see where the problem is.

Yep. Topic based revision is really effective. This can be done in a couple ways
1) Just do a certain type of question across papers (Solomon or normal).
2) Do extension/exam style questions from text books
Reply 851
Does anyone else hate Integration as much as I do? Especially the idiotic substitution method and integration by parts?
Original post by KalSA
Does anyone else hate Integration as much as I do? Especially the idiotic substitution method and integration by parts?

I love integration. Though I dislike the trapezium rule
Reply 853
Original post by reubenkinara
I love integration. Though I dislike the trapezium rule

Really? I think trapezium rule is the easier part of integration haha.
just finished doing integration today, its not as bad as i thought, definitely prefer it over vectors
just finished doing integration today, its not as bad as i thought, definitely prefer it over vectors

Woo - you're finally finished then! Starting on papers soon then?
okaay thanks :biggrin:

That's alright, I'm not sure if you seen it but i uploaded a diagram (see below) which is very useful in remembering integral and differential of sinx, cosx, -sinx and -cosx which will not be in the formula booklet.
Integrating and Differentiating sin, cos, -sin, -cos.png
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nukethemaly
Woo - you're finally finished then! Starting on papers soon then?

haha yup just finished, you scared me telling me substitution is hard grrr lool its probably the easiest part for me, that and by parts. yeeh i've already done a soloman paper today, got a C, but i know where i've gone wrong so thats good, its all about practice practice practice ! :biggrin:
That's alright, I'm not sure if you seen it but i uploaded a diagram (see below) which is very useful in remembering integral and differential of sinx, cosx, -sinx and -cosx which will not be in the formula booklet.
Integrating and Differentiating sin, cos, -sin, -cos.png

yep i've seen it, been using it since C3, its sooo helpful ! especially because its really easy to make a mistake, so having that besides you in an exam makes life that much easier. so thank you !
Reply 859
Hey everyone.

Something is really really bugging me and I wonder if you can help.

I've done around 4 Solomon Press Past Papers each for C3 and C4, and the same thing keeps happening. I finish the paper, think I did great apart from a the occasional question where I will go and ask my teacher for help and then I find I make a lot of small arithmetic errors, or for example on Diagrams with Translations I may forget to put the co-ordinates.

I find when I write my plan of attack for around 10 seconds in bullet points I usually get the answers right, but I would like to know what everyone is doing to combat this.

It is really annoying me, and I hate wasting quality Past Paper time during my day, just to make dumb mistakes.

But yeah anything would be great, no matter how silly it sounds! THANKS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending