The Student Room Group

Asking for oppinions on GapMedics

Hi everyone! I am new here so if I did anything wrong, please tell me:cyber:. I'll just start posting by asking about GapMedics. I am planning on going to the Thailand Medical trip during summer. This is the first time I get to work and volunteer in a foreign country so I am all excitement and stuff:charm:. But there seems to be very few threads about GapMedics, I hope people will share their experiences here. Thanks a lot!

Scroll to see replies

I went to Tanzania last year with Gap Medics and it could not have been more fantastic. They have such supportive, friendly and helpful staff. I found completely kindred spirits in the people that were also in Tanzania at the same time as me. Being in Tanzania, at least, meant that people could get so much more involved on the medical side with procedures in the hospitals. It was so worth the money, time and experience. I no longer even want to do medicine (wanted to do biomed whilst out there and now have applied for history and politics) and I still think it was the most incredible experience of my life.

I'm jealous that I'm not doing it again (but there'd be no point with me not wanting to do medicine!) and you're going this year!! :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by yhtak
Hi everyone! I am new here so if I did anything wrong, please tell me:cyber:. I'll just start posting by asking about GapMedics. I am planning on going to the Thailand Medical trip during summer. This is the first time I get to work and volunteer in a foreign country so I am all excitement and stuff:charm:. But there seems to be very few threads about GapMedics, I hope people will share their experiences here. Thanks a lot!

Hey,
I have about 7 friends who have been on placements with Gap Medics and have had mixed experiences. I personally chose not to go with Gap Medics because they are not particularly ethical with the way they distribute money to doctors and they are very expensive.

Also apparently they pay students who have been on a trip with them to write positive reviews and blogs etc - so good luck getting any real opinions on here!
Original post by she-theFaceICan'tForget
Hey,
I have about 7 friends who have been on placements with Gap Medics and have had mixed experiences. I personally chose not to go with Gap Medics because they are not particularly ethical with the way they distribute money to doctors and they are very expensive.

Also apparently they pay students who have been on a trip with them to write positive reviews and blogs etc - so good luck getting any real opinions on here!

You've been slightly misinformed. They don't pay for positive reviews on forums. They put money towards another Gap Medics trip for reviews on certain sites but the reviews don't have to be positive.

I'm actually quite offended by that comment. Not one person that was out in Tanzania at the same time as me had a bad experience and whilst I'm sure not everyone feels the same way, not one of them would go out of their way to try and dupe someone. People tend to only go on one trip as well so there's no incentive in the money towards another visit. You get £200 towards it just for becoming a Gap Medics Ambassador. I don't want to be a doctor or even anything medical and so why would I want to have a cut price Gap Medics trip?

I can put you in touch with a vast number of people who will be able to tell you an honest opinion of the trip- one's who aren't Gap Medics Ambassadors.
Original post by EMassey
You've been slightly misinformed. They don't pay for positive reviews on forums. They put money towards another Gap Medics trip for reviews on certain sites but the reviews don't have to be positive.

I'm actually quite offended by that comment. Not one person that was out in Tanzania at the same time as me had a bad experience and whilst I'm sure not everyone feels the same way, not one of them would go out of their way to try and dupe someone. People tend to only go on one trip as well so there's no incentive in the money towards another visit. You get £200 towards it just for becoming a Gap Medics Ambassador. I don't want to be a doctor or even anything medical and so why would I want to have a cut price Gap Medics trip?

I can put you in touch with a vast number of people who will be able to tell you an honest opinion of the trip- one's who aren't Gap Medics Ambassadors.

Why would you be offended by an honest opinion of a company that you went on a trip with once? Sure you had a great time, sadly not everyone does!

Dismissing the fact that, as you admitted, they pay people to become 'ambassadors', my main bug was that for the prices Gap Medics charge the money the doctors see is an absolute pittance.

I have some friends who went to Tanzania and enjoyed it, they also got involved with fundraising for the hospital there, as a private effort, in no way aided by Gap Medics. I also have friends who went to the Tanzania but in a different house and hated it, friends who went to India and St Lucia with them and had an absolutely dreadful experience - they have now closed both these programmes down, so that probably tells you all you need to know.
Original post by EMassey
I'm not offended by the honest opinion at all. I'm offended by the idea that people (including me) would only give a positive opinion online due to the idea of getting the money off another trip.

Sorry I wasn't meaning to insinuate that you personally would do that, however for some people it must of course be an influencing factor - that's why such incentives exist.

Original post by yhtak

Anyway OP, it's my personal opinion that as an aspiring medic, or anyone who wants to travel responsibly, you should really consider where the money your paying goes.

There are so many great charities and organisations who are low or even no fee because they really need help.

Have you checked out www.truetravellers.org ?

I have also been involved with mobile health clinics in Nepal through www.ehn-nepal.org which costs £140 for two weeks as opposed to £1000 with Gap Medics.

All I am saying is make an informed choice and think about the impact and sustainability of the project you choose.
Reply 6
Original post by mani92
Hey,

I was going to go with gap medics this summer in August as i intend to apply for medicine and thought this type of placement would be much more hands on then work experience here, gap medics seems pretty class but they cost a lot for what they offering 1.3k for two weeks was quite a lot for me, so I looked around and plan my gap year do same medical placement and apparently its in the same hosptial as gapmedics but its like 600-700 pounds cheaper so have a look around before you decide, there are other companies which are reliable as well but depends what placement, you intend to apply for medicine or something else ?

Thanks for the advice:smile:. I am planning on doing Psychology or neurology. i checked out the pmgy but i am underage so gap medics seems like the only option for me then
Reply 7
Original post by EMassey
I went to Tanzania last year with Gap Medics and it could not have been more fantastic. They have such supportive, friendly and helpful staff. I found completely kindred spirits in the people that were also in Tanzania at the same time as me. Being in Tanzania, at least, meant that people could get so much more involved on the medical side with procedures in the hospitals. It was so worth the money, time and experience. I no longer even want to do medicine (wanted to do biomed whilst out there and now have applied for history and politics) and I still think it was the most incredible experience of my life.

I'm jealous that I'm not doing it again (but there'd be no point with me not wanting to do medicine!) and you're going this year!! :colondollar:

Thanks for the tips :wink:! Yeah I heard a lot of great feedback from ppl who went to tanzania. The real drawback for me is the price really. They are just NOT CHEAP. I am not planning to do medicine either. Psychology is my real interest. :colondollar: I am on board because they told me they have neurosurgery in Chiang Mai:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by she-theFaceICan'tForget
Hey,

Thanks for the advice! I agree it is really expensive. However I still kind of joined it already:crossedf: I am required to buy two sets of scrubs and a labcoat for 45pounds which in my opinion is just unreasonably expensive but one of my friends will go before me so we will share. But Gap medics seem so much like a great experience I don't want to pass on, so:crossedf: again...
Reply 9
Original post by yhtak
Thanks for the advice! I agree it is really expensive. However I still kind of joined it already:crossedf: I am required to buy two sets of scrubs and a labcoat for 45pounds which in my opinion is just unreasonably expensive but one of my friends will go before me so we will share. But Gap medics seem so much like a great experience I don't want to pass on, so:crossedf: again...

Its funny how I was saying do PMGY and Instead I ended up booking gap medics haha, but yeah I'm going Thailand as well, what month are you going ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by mani92
Its funny how I was saying do PMGY and Instead I ended up booking gap medics haha, but yeah I'm going Thailand as well, what month are you going ?

ooh exciting! I'm going in August. How about you?
Reply 11
Original post by yhtak
ooh exciting! I'm going in August. How about you?

I'm going in August too :biggrin:
I've booked 18-31st but I'm trying to get an additional week so that I start on the 11th, but I've got to wait and see as its all booked up for 11th at the moment, what about you when are you going ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mani92
I'm going in August too :biggrin:
I've booked 18-31st but I'm trying to get an additional week so that I start on the 11th, but I've got to wait and see as its all booked up for 11th at the moment, what about you when are you going ?

We will probably meet then. But I think the 11th time slot is fully booked already... I am the second last booking the 11th:colondollar: Have you visited the facebook page yet?
Reply 13
Original post by yhtak
We will probably meet then. But I think the 11th time slot is fully booked already... I am the second last booking the 11th:colondollar: Have you visited the facebook page yet?

haha i rang them up and they said we have two spots left and i thought okay ill sort it out in the morning, next day the spaces gone!
Yeah i've been on it met a few people through it, you been on it too then ?
Reply 14
Original post by mani92
haha i rang them up and they said we have two spots left and i thought okay ill sort it out in the morning, next day the spaces gone!
Yeah i've been on it met a few people through it, you been on it too then ?

I was quite scared when I paid the fees as they told me there was only two spots left. I've not officially click the i-am-going button yet. But I've checked it out. Quite a lot of uni students really:colondollar: I'm still in year12. What year r u in?
Reply 15
Original post by yhtak
I was quite scared when I paid the fees as they told me there was only two spots left. I've not officially click the i-am-going button yet. But I've checked it out. Quite a lot of uni students really:colondollar: I'm still in year12. What year r u in?

Ahh I see I've only spoken to one person that's at uni the rest all seem to be in a similar postion to you either in year 12 or on a gap year. I'm at uni as well at the moment, having to take the long way into medicine due to rejections :frown: haha
Reply 16
Original post by mani92
Ahh I see I've only spoken to one person that's at uni the rest all seem to be in a similar postion to you either in year 12 or on a gap year. I'm at uni as well at the moment, having to take the long way into medicine due to rejections :frown: haha

I see then. Don't worry. You are bound to spend some years if you want to do medicine anyway. Things will go your way:biggrin:
is it safe in Tanzania?
As long as you are white
Is it safe there?

Quick Reply

Latest