The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Relaxedexams
They create the paper a few years back. If we are able to understand the implications, shouldn't we be able to explain them?

Of course ... if the spec says you should understand it means you should know how to describe/explain/suggest how/why/what it is etc....just like in 2013 Jan
But I seriously reckon that the last two questions in 2013 were added just few months before exam. Otherwise why question again 2012 summer concepts... referencing(bibliography ) in 2012 summer was a total failure by many candidates as well as the ethical implications of daphnia. So they just warn and decide to question again.
:biggrin: and then last two questions of 2013 Jan was again environmental implications and again referencing!!!
Reply 61
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Of course ... if the spec says you should understand it means you should know how to describe/explain/suggest how/why/what it is etc....just like in 2013 Jan
But I seriously reckon that the last two questions in 2013 were added just few months before exam. Otherwise why question again 2012 summer concepts... referencing(bibliography ) in 2012 summer was a total failure by many candidates as well as the ethical implications of daphnia. So they just warn and decide to question again.
:biggrin: and then last two questions of 2013 Jan was again environmental implications and again referencing!!!

I'm 95% sure that they set the papers a few years back. Definitely not a few months before the exam :tongue: They have to check the papers, print, distribute to A LOT of countries in a few months? Don't think so :biggrin:
I'm 95% sure that they set the papers a few years back. Definitely not a few months before the exam :tongue: They have to check the papers, print, distribute to A LOT of countries in a few months? Don't think so :biggrin:

A lot of countries??
A few years back??
Well they could easily distribute it within a month even :screwy:
How else do they correct them?
According to my knowledge the papers are set 8-9 months back. Howver I think modifications were done to include the last 2 questions in Jan 2013 only after the summer series. :biggrin:
Reply 63
A lot of countries??
A few years back??
Well they could easily distribute it within a month even :screwy:
How else do they correct them?
According to my knowledge the papers are set 8-9 months back. Howver I think modifications were done to include the last 2 questions in Jan 2013 only after the summer series. :biggrin:

Are you sure that they modify the next paper based on the previous session's results? If so we can better predict the type of questions for our paper by looking at the Jan 2013 paper!
Reply 64
I'm asking if a line of best fit or lines joining the points is more suitable for a line graph.

Anything is correct. I prefer joining the lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NilFBosh
Anything is correct. I prefer joining the lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best advice when plotting graphs is to join the points with a straight ruled line. However, it is clear that when candidates do this there is a tendency to then describe every little fluctuation in this line, rather than to look for overall trends and then comment on significant changes to this trend. A description that describes the changes between each of the points is a reiteration of the data and is unlikely to gain marks. If a line of best fit is required in future, that should be clearly requested in the question

Above is an examiner's comment.
Reply 66
How should we draw the standard deviation bars? (for line and bar graphs) If the SD is 4 for example should be draw a line that is 4 units above and below the point and draw horizontal lines at the two ends of the vertical line? Or is there some other way?
Reply 67
How should we draw the standard deviation bars? (for line and bar graphs) If the SD is 4 for example should be draw a line that is 4 units above and below the point and draw horizontal lines at the two ends of the vertical line? Or is there some other way?

That way is correct. If u are not sure check marking scheme for May 2012 1st question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That way is correct. Never draw it on to one side only..draw above and below the point. We call it a "vertical error bar"...which is drawn roughly . This same approach must be used when we have to show errors and uncertainty such as instrumental errors which are very useful when plotting graphs related to other science subjects. These graphs have the bars to both direction as not only y quantity has an error but x too , so be careful.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey, could anyone please upload a pic of the graph in question 1 may 2012 unit 3 paper???? please
Original post by parishah
Hey, could anyone please upload a pic of the graph in question 1 may 2012 unit 3 paper???? please

You got a problem?
:biggrin:
You got a problem?

Original post by parishah

You don't need to say thanks...

Just give me a rep!:biggrin:
Reply 73
my unit 1 biology exam's in 3 weeks time and i don't know how to revise for it
help???
Original post by nailaxx
my unit 1 biology exam's in 3 weeks time and i don't know how to revise for it
help???

Here are some good notes (by assassin):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=188109&d=1356398617
Reply 75
What are economical implications?
Reply 76
Original post by kevsamuel
What are economical implications?

Implications related to economy, such as cost and money. When asked for an economic implication, choose a phrase that has something about cost or money in it.
Reply 77

thank you
this helps a lot
Guys,how can I revise for question 2? the article! I'm lost and can't do it, are there any tips???!
Reply 79
You got a problem?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been looking everywhere for a picture of that graph:colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending