The Student Room Group

Presentation for GEN at Notting Uni questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josie03
Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Alice, I have an interview for Child Branch on 2nd May (eek...my nerves are setting in too!). My degree is in Biology and Psychology and since my degree, I have been working in a childcare setting, but I do not have any hospital experience. I think there will be a huge variety and scope of experience so try not to worry! How are you getting on with the presentation? It is still baffling me! Josie xx

The presentation is going ok, I have spoken about my psychology degree greatly! I am breaking my presentation down into sections as I think it will help me with my structure and it will ultimately flow better, dont really want to use power point though :/

I am beginning to worry that although I have experience in a hospital I work on an adult all male ward and have little experience working with children. I am going to try and see if I can shadow some nurses on the children's wards for a few days, so ill have an insight but I cant see them being too willing, as I will probably just get in the way! What childcare setting do you work in?

Have you written your presentation yet? :smile:

x
Reply 21
Original post by ajbloorface
The presentation is going ok, I have spoken about my psychology degree greatly! I am breaking my presentation down into sections as I think it will help me with my structure and it will ultimately flow better, dont really want to use power point though :/

I am beginning to worry that although I have experience in a hospital I work on an adult all male ward and have little experience working with children. I am going to try and see if I can shadow some nurses on the children's wards for a few days, so ill have an insight but I cant see them being too willing, as I will probably just get in the way! What childcare setting do you work in?

Have you written your presentation yet? :smile:

x

I work as an Early Years Practioner in a Pre-school. I have worked with 0-5's for the last 7 years but don't have any experience in the field of nursing, however like you, we do still have a lot of transferable skills :-). Yes, I have written my presentation too but I feel 5 mins just isn't long enough. I have only slightly touched on my degree and I still cant seem to get my head around what we are referencing (journals/theories? etc). I think we will have time between now and the course to gain experience and possibly do placements etc so try not to worry, I am sure you will be fine x
Reply 22
Original post by ajbloorface
Hi, :smile: I have an interview on 7th May for Children's and was wondering how much work experience you have? My degree was in Psychology with my dissertation focusing on the influence adults can have upon children in their care. I am also currently an healthcare assistant but on an adult ward, I have a little work experience with children as well as the usual babysitting etc. I am worried that although my theoretical knowledge is broad I don't have enough experience.

Also, did they throw in any horrible questions that threw you off? I have been doing my research and trying to think of what they might ask me but nerves are setting in and I am beginning to worry :confused:

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Alice x

Honestly do not stress, the interview is fine! the mapping tool is much easier than it is made out to be, some parts just involves going on a website and reading up on like guidelines and then you can tick that box etc, but they will explain it all to you when you are there, so don't worry about that. the day is really relaxed, and you basically just get called in to do your presentation and answer questions. I only got asked questions on what I said in my presentation.

experience wise, I have a lot of work with children, but very little health care related stuff, minus being a first aider and a few other bits and bobs. I do psychology also so you sound in a good position to me! Don't worry, it really isn't as bad as I thought it would be!

Hope this helps

Sarah x
Reply 23
Hi Sarah,

I am very happy to hear that your interview went well. Sorry I did not message you back, I have only just logged in again. I have been very busy.

I wish you the best of luck and hope those offers come through soon.

I am working on my presentation now, thank god I can do some at work, I am going to split it into three parts, about me, about my course, and how it all combines and transfers over to nursing. I cant see any simpler way of doing it. While at the same time as doing this, I will be reading up on anything I can think of that is relevant from my Psychology degree, in the off chance a question comes up and I get "..I know this moment, but haven't studied it for years!!..."

Happy to here that the people who have had interviews so far went so well, and good luck to those who have still yet to go.

Ben.
Reply 24
Hello,

An update from me. Yay, I got an unconditional offer for Adults branch today. Guys, dun need to worry about the interview too much. They mainly ask questions about you and your presentation. Good luck to all of you.
Original post by mangoC
Hello,

An update from me. Yay, I got an unconditional offer for Adults branch today. Guys, dun need to worry about the interview too much. They mainly ask questions about you and your presentation. Good luck to all of you.

I got an offer today too. :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by WeirdLittleO
I got an offer today too. :biggrin:

Congratulation!! Are you going to accept it or are still thinking to do BSc instead?

LOL.....I will need to sort out the funding though.
Original post by mangoC
Congratulation!! Are you going to accept it or are still thinking to do BSc instead?

LOL.....I will need to sort out the funding though.

I rang Mandy today and she said I can switch to the BSc if I want to but I'll still be at the Derby centre. :smile: I can't decide!
Are you accepting?
Reply 28
I rang Mandy today and she said I can switch to the BSc if I want to but I'll still be at the Derby centre. :smile: I can't decide!
Are you accepting?

I got a conditional offer also yesterday!
Reply 29
Are you accepting?

Yup....it is my only application:biggrin:

Are u sure BSc is based at Derby? cos when she did the presentation, she said GEN and GEM will be based at Derby. UG will be at Nottingham and some module of child branch will need to go to Nottingham.
Original post by mangoC
Yup....it is my only application:biggrin:

Are u sure BSc is based at Derby? cos when she did the presentation, she said GEN and GEM will be based at Derby. UG will be at Nottingham and some module of child branch will need to go to Nottingham.

Yeah :smile: they have the bsc at Derby but only for the adult branch. I could have (wanted to) gone to the Nottingham campus but It's full. It's a smaller cohort at derby though which I think I'll prefer anyway ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Yeah :smile: they have the bsc at Derby but only for the adult branch. I could have (wanted to) gone to the Nottingham campus but It's full. It's a smaller cohort at derby though which I think I'll prefer anyway ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dun think Derby or Nottingham is going to make much different cos most of the time will be on placement somewhere. I was thinking about BSc because I can get student loan but can't for MSc.
Original post by mangoC
I dun think Derby or Nottingham is going to make much different cos most of the time will be on placement somewhere. I was thinking about BSc because I can get student loan but can't for MSc.

That's true. Aye the funding is a big reason I changed. What do you think you'll do? :smile:
Original post by Sarah335
I got a conditional offer also yesterday!

Well done :biggrin: great feeling isn't it! :smile:
Reply 34
That's true. Aye the funding is a big reason I changed. What do you think you'll do? :smile:

Haha...tough decision! MSc is 1 year shorter so I can work a year sooner. I prefer to do the MSc because it's higher qualification. It may be useful in the future.

I will accept the offer and find out how much I can get and see if I can manage. My friend is a student nurse, it took her a while to get onto the bank HCA cos of the NHS cut.

I am sure I can change to BSc later if I want to but I won't be able to get onto the course if I miss the deadline to accept the offer.
Original post by mangoC
Haha...tough decision! MSc is 1 year shorter so I can work a year sooner. I prefer to do the MSc because it's higher qualification. It may be useful in the future.

I will accept the offer and find out how much I can get and see if I can manage. My friend is a student nurse, it took her a while to get onto the bank HCA cos of the NHS cut.

I am sure I can change to BSc later if I want to but I won't be able to get onto the course if I miss the deadline to accept the offer.

The first two reasons were keeping me on the masters. However, with it starting in January and being two years long, it only works out that you finish 6 months before the undergrads. And it is a masters but I don't think this makes any difference when applying for a vacancy, perhaps only useful if you want to go into research and things. Maybe useful for becoming a nurse practitioner but I'm not sure!

As far as I know, you get a bursary (including the grant) of up to £5,430 (ish) if you've living away from home, or £4,350 (ish) if you live at home. I can't remember the exact figures but it works out at about £100 a week to live on, including rent, food, travel, leisure etc.

Aye I would switch as soon as possible if you want to switch. When I rang there was no problem with switching but she did say the sooner I decide the better. :smile:

edit: There is also a career development loan available for the masters but you have to pay it back as soon as you finish the course
Reply 36
The first two reasons were keeping me on the masters. However, with it starting in January and being two years long, it only works out that you finish 6 months before the undergrads. And it is a masters but I don't think this makes any difference when applying for a vacancy, perhaps only useful if you want to go into research and things. Maybe useful for becoming a nurse practitioner but I'm not sure!

As far as I know, you get a bursary (including the grant) of up to £5,430 (ish) if you've living away from home, or £4,350 (ish) if you live at home. I can't remember the exact figures but it works out at about £100 a week to live on, including rent, food, travel, leisure etc.

Aye I would switch as soon as possible if you want to switch. When I rang there was no problem with switching but she did say the sooner I decide the better. :smile:

edit: There is also a career development loan available for the masters but you have to pay it back as soon as you finish the course

Can I get maintainence loan for the master? I think starting in Jan will suit me better though because I am working at the moment so I can have a few more month to save up. :smile:
Original post by mangoC
Can I get maintainence loan for the master? I think starting in Jan will suit me better though because I am working at the moment so I can have a few more month to save up. :smile:

Nope, SFE won't fund the masters. Just the bursary and a career development loan. :smile:
Good luck with your decision!
Reply 38
Nope, SFE won't fund the masters. Just the bursary and a career development loan. :smile:
Good luck with your decision!

Thanks! That's save me lots of time to find all those info by myself. What's ur final decision?
Original post by mangoC
Thanks! That's save me lots of time to find all those info by myself. What's ur final decision?

I've switched to the bsc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending