The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920

Give the monomers of Kevlar and state its use (3)
Original post by otrivine
Give the monomers of Kevlar and state its use (3)

Benzene-1,4- diamine and benzene-1,4-dicarboxylic acid. It's used in body armour, eg bulletproof vests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 922
Original post by MathsNerd1
Benzene-1,4- diamine and benzene-1,4-dicarboxylic acid. It's used in body armour, eg bulletproof vests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perfect !

My turn :biggrin:

By the way how was ur special day yesterday? did you get nice gifts :wink:
Perfect !

My turn :biggrin:

By the way how was ur special day yesterday? did you get nice gifts :wink:

Thanks and it was quite nice, just a little quiet celebration was enough for me.

Okay explain the limitations of GC and why do they combine it with MS, eg the advantages (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 924
Original post by MathsNerd1
Thanks and it was quite nice, just a little quiet celebration was enough for me.

Okay explain the limitations of GC and why do they combine it with MS, eg the advantages (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Limitations of GC= Not all the components in the mixture are separated as some components are hidden beneath other components with a higher concentration, Components (lot) may have the same area under the peak , retention time , detection of component may be the same.

They combine GC with MS so that it can give a more clearer and reliable result as into identify the compound/substance, this gives an accurate indication of what the mixture/component may be and has many uses such as, used in space probes, airport security, environmental analysis and for detecting drugs in atheletes
yes :smile:

1) 2 carbon environments

2) in the proton NMR you would expect a quartet (3 adjacnet hydrogen atoms) and triplet( 2 adjacent hydrogen atoms)

Correct!
Limitations of GC= Not all the components in the mixture are separated as some components are hidden beneath other components with a higher concentration, Components (lot) may have the same area under the peak , retention time , detection of component may be the same.

They combine GC with MS so that it can give a more clearer and reliable result as into identify the compound/substance, this gives an accurate indication of what the mixture/component may be and has many uses such as, used in space probes, airport security, environmental analysis and for detecting drugs in atheletes

Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 927
Original post by reneetaylor
Correct!

thanks

Describe how a GC-MS is used (4)
Reply 928

I am starting to hate Chromatography!!

Give the substance used for liquid stationary phase in TLC and define mobile phase (3)
thanks

I'm going to but in on this one...

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 930
Original post by master y
I'm going to but in on this one...

Spoiler

3/4 good, but mention that you are comparing the values using a spectral data base!

my turn :smile:
I am starting to hate Chromatography!!

Give the substance used for liquid stationary phase in TLC and define mobile phase (3)

Isn't it just a solvent? And isn't it the phase that moves in chromatography?

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks

A GC-MS consists of gas chromotography and mass spectometry, which are two types of analytical techniques.

Gas chromotography splits the sample into constituent components
Mass spectometry splits molecules according to mass and allows them to be presented on a data sheet for comparison.

GC-MS can be used in space, on analysing substances found on planets
GC-MS can be used in measuring pollution levels, for example measuring substances found in water
GC-MS can be used for forensics, to analyse DNA found at a crime scene
GC-MS can be used for drug testing, for example in sports, to see whether substances which will increase athletic ability in competitive games.
3/4 good, but mention that you are comparing the values using a spectral data base!

What is the difference between proteins and polyamides?

difference between the interaction of the molecules (in terms of bonding) with a solid stationary phase and a liquid stationary phase.
Reply 935
What is the difference between proteins and polyamides?

Proteins , are made of monomers of amino acid

Proteins have different variable (R) group

Polyamides is a condensation polymerisation reaction in which consists of 2 diamine and 2 carboxylic acid.

Polyamides is an amide linkage and proteins are formed from monomers of amino acid by condensation and a peptide bond is formed between amino acids.
Reply 936
A GC-MS consists of gas chromotography and mass spectometry, which are two types of analytical techniques.

Gas chromotography splits the sample into constituent components
Mass spectometry splits molecules according to mass and allows them to be presented on a data sheet for comparison.

GC-MS can be used in space, on analysing substances found on planets
GC-MS can be used in measuring pollution levels, for example measuring substances found in water
GC-MS can be used for forensics, to analyse DNA found at a crime scene
GC-MS can be used for drug testing, for example in sports, to see whether substances which will increase athletic ability in competitive games.

yes , your examples secured the majority of marks, 4/4
Reply 937
difference between the interaction of the molecules (in terms of bonding) with a solid stationary phase and a liquid stationary phase.

correct

my turn
Proteins , are made of monomers of amino acid

Proteins have different variable (R) group

Polyamides is a condensation polymerisation reaction in which consists of 2 diamine and 2 carboxylic acid.

Polyamides is an amide linkage and proteins are formed from monomers of amino acid by condensation and a peptide bond is formed between amino acids.

spot on! how do you know this stuff so well.... TELL US YOUR SECRETS! :P
Reply 939
spot on! how do you know this stuff so well.... TELL US YOUR SECRETS! :P

I finished revision and just doing papers, like legacy :smile:

Define Rf