The Student Room Group

Need a graphics card - 250W PSU

Scroll to see replies

haha its alright dathtom, i should have thought before i posted thats all. Silly mistake :P
Reply 21
Original post by DH.
Closer look:

http://urimage.net/images/2013/04/12/nfuZa.png
CS 1.6:

Right now, it's not that bad but everything is on low and I have to run it on openGL rather than directX else it completely lags.

I've tried another game too. Heroes of newerth: Runs OK also, everything is on low and on 1024x768 res and again, it has to be ran on openGL else it all lags.

How would this do? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PNY-GT520-1-GB-DDR3-GeForce-Nvidia-Graphics-Card-New-/121063561307?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item1c2ff3585b

I've looked online (here: http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=517&graphics=GeForce%20GT%20520) max power is 29 watts.

Yeah thats definitely is the PCI E slot.

Well it should run much faster, but do remember that the cpu and ram will still cause possible performance issues especially as you moved to windows 7 now.

The GT610 is essentially a rebadged GT520........the only issue is that the heatsink is a bit small but thats it.
Other than that, everything seems fine..... do take into account the things I have said above the psu and heat issues.
DH that will do fine :smile: it shouldnt cause you any issues and will run CSS on atleast mid settings as you wanted
your processor will be fine and so will RAM, 2GB is plenty for CSS just be weary of system stability as Iq said :smile:
Reply 24
Thanks guys,

one more question:

"Product Dimensions: 2.8 x 6.5 x 11 inches" is stated on that ebay page, where and how can I exactly measure so I know it'll fit into my case? (It's a standard case).

Reply 25
Original post by DH.
Thanks guys,

one more question:

"Product Dimensions: 2.8 x 6.5 x 11 inches" is stated on that ebay page, where and how can I exactly measure so I know it'll fit into my case? (It's a standard case).

It will fit. :smile: its no longer than your mobo and not very tall.
Reply 27
Original post by DH.
Thanks guys,

one more question:

It'll fit fine..........its a low end gpu, so its quite small and will fit easily.
Also your case isn't standard, its a mATX case :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by dathtom

Original post by Iqbal007
It'll fit fine..........its a low end gpu, so its quite small and will fit easily.

Thanks, thanks and thanks :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by dathtom

Sorry to bump this up, but do you think I could update the CPU also? And if so, which one would you recommend - Anything that's better then what I have will do.
Reply 30
Original post by DH.
Sorry to bump this up, but do you think I could update the CPU also? And if so, which one would you recommend - Anything that's better then what I have will do.

Socket AM2 cpu's............its not for sure, as the motherboard is a oem one specifically for Acer's desktops.
So Athlon 64 X2 and Athlon 64 FX, cpu's.............possibly Phenom cpu's first gen however its not for definite due to bios support. Again this will eat into your psu.
Reply 31
Original post by DH.

Honestly your likely not to see much benefit for the cost and effort involved. Games are not very cpu intensive, much more demanding on the gfx card. I'd leave the computer as it is, an see how it performs.
Reply 32
Original post by dathtom
Honestly your likely not to see much benefit for the cost and effort involved. Games are not very cpu intensive, much more demanding on the gfx card. I'd leave the computer as it is, an see how it performs.

games are cpu intensive as well, the latest games need a quad-core to get the most out of the performance, also a crappy cpu also throttles the gpu from its max potential.
Reply 33
games are cpu intensive as well, the latest games need a quad-core to get the most out of the performance, also a crappy cpu also throttles the gpu from its max potential.

He's only looking at CS 1.6, not Crysis 3. Also to replace the cpu the OP would have to remove, clean and re-apply thermal paste. It would also cost quiet a lot more aswell. If he was looking at more demanding, newer games, then absolutely he should upgrade the CPU, but for CS 1.6?

Tom :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by dathtom
He's only looking at CS 1.6, not Crysis 3. Also to replace the cpu the OP would have to remove, clean and re-apply thermal paste. It would also cost quiet a lot more aswell. If he was looking at more demanding, newer games, then absolutely he should upgrade the CPU, but for CS 1.6?

Well considering the fact the cpu is quite old and quite cheap and available 2nd hand, it doesn't hurt........thermal paste isn't hard either, cheap and easily done.
He's brothers isn't looking for something so demanding, he was he should just get a new pc, but its about a tenner 2nd hand from ebay, it isn't much, but certainly better as its windows 7 and better for multi-tasking, thermal paste is about 50p for some basic amount.
Reply 35

Original post by dathtom

Hi guys (again),

I got the GT520 and AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800+ 2.40ghz

it runs CSS fine, Heroes of newerth fine (all ultra high 60+fps), however for dota 2 it runs at 20fps regardless if settings are high or not :s.

I now have £60 to spend and got given 2x4gbDDR3 1333mhz Corsair RAM by a friend. Any ideas on what I should upgrade? Or should I just leave it and save up for another PC? I'm comfortable with building/modifying my own as I helped a friend build his today.
Reply 36
Original post by DH.
Hi guys (again),

I got the GT520 and AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800+ 2.40ghz

it runs CSS fine, Heroes of newerth fine (all ultra high 60+fps), however for dota 2 it runs at 20fps regardless if settings are high or not :s.

I now have £60 to spend and got given 2x4gbDDR3 1333mhz Corsair RAM by a friend. Any ideas on what I should upgrade? Or should I just leave it and save up for another PC? I'm comfortable with building/modifying my own as I helped a friend build his today.

if you 4gb of ram, then its fine............just save up......the only way fps will get better is a complete overhaul
Reply 37
if you 4gb of ram, then its fine............just save up......the only way fps will get better is a complete overhaul

No I don't have 4gbs of ram, only 2.5gbs - Could you tell me which ram is compatible with my motherboard?

Also, I only have a 80gb HDD, I really do need more space so would buying any other harddrive be OK or do they have to be compatible also?
Reply 38
Original post by DH.
No I don't have 4gbs of ram, only 2.5gbs - Could you tell me which ram is compatible with my motherboard?

Also, I only have a 80gb HDD, I really do need more space so would buying any other harddrive be OK or do they have to be compatible also?

whats the motherboard?
Also more than 3gb wont be utlised unless you have windows 64 bit and also your usage won't.

Should be fine, your current system has a sata power and data cable, so you got to reinstall OS on the new one, as I suspect the psu you have doesn't have an extra sata power cable or 4 pin molex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending