The Student Room Group

Access to Humanities and Social Sciences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by carlaraptor
I kinda wish mine was tomorrow... mine isn't until the 15th! Good luck :smile: I'm sure you'll be fine!

In one i am glad it is tomorrow no more waiting around (well ntil September at least) But also now its here im more nervous than i thought i would be :colondollar:
Reply 21
Had my interview went rather well :smile:

Have my enrolement on the 28th of August start in September then :smile:
Reply 22
Any ideas on funding yet?i hear about 24+ loans but being 22 is less than helpful!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by klowe1990
Any ideas on funding yet?i hear about 24+ loans but being 22 is less than helpful!

In my college i know you can get help for funding. Also living in Wales if eligible i can get The Welsh Assembley Grant of up to £5,000+
Reply 24
Original post by Tom_91
In my college i know you can get help for funding. Also living in Wales if eligible i can get The Welsh Assembley Grant of up to £5,000+

Thats handy! I'm thinking anything more than 1000 for fees and I'm pushing back a year
Reply 25
Original post by klowe1990
Thats handy! I'm thinking anything more than 1000 for fees and I'm pushing back a year

Dw you can and should be able to get help as long as you fit the requirements :smile: And for my course for the entire year (well 9 months) it's £40 each College varies but before when i did access in a College in the same city (Swansea) it was £170 i think. And also you can pay by term in installments just talk to an adviser and they should help you :smile:

Also checked prices for UCAs applications for 2013 applicants was £13 for 1 £23 for more than one it may change for us but it isn't bank busting :smile:

Also another bit of Advice i got from my interview UCAs applications start from week 1 and its a jan deadline my college though has an internal December deadline as they need to write references etc so got your prospective choices in your head now and start thinking about your peronal statement. It's alot i know when your yet to start but once applications are out of the way you can work towards your grades :smile:
Reply 26
Hi, I've been offered a place on the Access to Humanities course in Swansea in September. Very excited!
What's the welsh assembly grant of £5000? The only thing I can find is ALG which is £1500 for the year. Any help/info would be appreciated.
And good luck in your interviews etc x
Hi! I did the same course that you're applying for last year, and I loved every minute of it! I don't know what to tell you to do to prepare, other than maybe get used to poring through very heavy academic text books and start looking up how to use referencing and bibliographies. I found that at my college's access course we did fare more essay writing and bibliography/referencing that I've done in my whole first year at uni, which will soon be finished, pending exams! Good luck and enjoy it! :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by JoJaRe
Hi, I've been offered a place on the Access to Humanities course in Swansea in September. Very excited!
What's the welsh assembly grant of £5000? The only thing I can find is ALG which is £1500 for the year. Any help/info would be appreciated.
And good luck in your interviews etc x

Same here is it Tycoch or Gorseinon :smile:

And i've looked into it too i don't think we can apply yet unless you can get the term dates before Enrolement in August and it will be considered a late application as the cut of was the 19th of april 2013 but we had no place then so not our fault :smile: But depending on Eligibility you can get up to £5,000 or paid in installments at the beginning of each term. My best advice check their website you can calculate what yo could receive and it'll have more info heres the link but Basic logistics over 18,500 or so partial grant under it full grant £50,000 or more nothing :smile: http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=616,6201685&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Norwich College are asking for 1500 plus registration fees for under 24s who have prevoiusly studied at level 3. otherwise the 24+ loan would potentially cover all costs if eligible! Still, 1500 isnt too bad
Reply 30
Original post by Tom_91
Same here is it Tycoch or Gorseinon :smile:

And i've looked into it too i don't think we can apply yet unless you can get the term dates before Enrolement in August and it will be considered a late application as the cut of was the 19th of april 2013 but we had no place then so not our fault :smile: But depending on Eligibility you can get up to £5,000 or paid in installments at the beginning of each term. My best advice check their website you can calculate what yo could receive and it'll have more info heres the link but Basic logistics over 18,500 or so partial grant under it full grant £50,000 or more nothing :smile: http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=616,6201685&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Ahh brill. In Tycoch. You? I'm really looking forward to it. I was worried it wasn't going to run!!
Thanks for the link! The college sent me a pack with an ALG (FE) application form (£1500) and the Financial Contingency Fund app to get a free bus pass. I'll give student finance a ring tomorrow and see what they say. It's going to be hard financially so anything is a help!
Reply 31
Original post by JoJaRe
Ahh brill. In Tycoch. You? I'm really looking forward to it. I was worried it wasn't going to run!!
Thanks for the link! The college sent me a pack with an ALG (FE) application form (£1500) and the Financial Contingency Fund app to get a free bus pass. I'll give student finance a ring tomorrow and see what they say. It's going to be hard financially so anything is a help!

Tycoch had my interview last Wednesday i had a call this morning as they were having trouble sending my confirmation but after that i am really rather excited :smile: And same here i'm currently not working and only income being JSA i am going to need to scour all financial aid available :smile: And i'm currently learning to drive so now its a race to pass by Sept luckily ive already had 2 months and passed my theory it seems like so much to do before we've even started :tongue:
Reply 32
Me too! Probably just missed you lol. Ah lots to do before September then! Parking there is a nightmare so I'll probably be taking the bus ... may change my mind when it's cold and raining though!
Do you know if we have to do an assessment ?
Reply 33
Original post by JoJaRe
Me too! Probably just missed you lol. Ah lots to do before September then! Parking there is a nightmare so I'll probably be taking the bus ... may change my mind when it's cold and raining though!
Do you know if we have to do an assessment ?

Probably i got there about 1:50 :smile: And yes but as i would have to take a bus then another or walk from town its the better alternative :tongue: And not sure they didn't give much info i was quite surprised we got given a place ASAP i thought perhaps an Access. Also most of the unis i have looked at for history the degree i wnat to do (also a history and English double Honors) ] only require A C at language with the Access which i have so im genuinely at a loss.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
I was waiting for my interview ha. Yes I suppose driving will be better. Yes quite surprising really. Which Unis are you thinking of ?
Reply 35
Original post by JoJaRe
I was waiting for my interview ha. Yes I suppose driving will be better. Yes quite surprising really. Which Unis are you thinking of ?

Were yo there with your dad or alone there were two people in front of me may have been you :tongue: Yeah it'll just be easier and mean an extra 10 minute in bed :tongue: And so far i have two top choices Bristol UWE (i also looked at Bristol bt prefer the UWE course) Plymouth as second then just need three more so just looking around as in the interview when i aked about UCAs he said it would be pretty imminent so best to be prepared :smile:
Reply 36
I was there on my own. Good that you're thinking of whether you would enjoy the course itself. You have to study it for 3+ years. Sounds fast paced then. I have been trying to get some ideas for my personal statement so that it's not a rush in September but it's really difficult!! :frown:
Reply 37
Original post by JoJaRe
I was there on my own. Good that you're thinking of whether you would enjoy the course itself. You have to study it for 3+ years. Sounds fast paced then. I have been trying to get some ideas for my personal statement so that it's not a rush in September but it's really difficult!! :frown:

Same here although i made friends with the person waiting next to me passed the time :tongue: And yeah its something ive wanted to do for ages so i've thought about it and now looking at it in detail the course modules and all the rest of it its a help as come Sept you know what to work towards. As for personal statement it's my one concern too as it has to be just right with no real room for error :redface:
Reply 38
Ah not too bad then. There doesn't seem to be much info about it on the website. Did you go to any open evenings before hand? Yeah it has to be spot on to just get an interview i think . I can't find any examples of a "mature" PS. They're all people who have just left school and done nothing work related :frown:
Original post by JoJaRe
Ah not too bad then. There doesn't seem to be much info about it on the website. Did you go to any open evenings before hand? Yeah it has to be spot on to just get an interview i think . I can't find any examples of a "mature" PS. They're all people who have just left school and done nothing work related :frown:

I found one mature PS, on this website, for History and Politics which may be of use to you here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending