The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

I would strongly recommend you revise voting systems, especially AMS/STV vs FPTP for voting systems as that hasn't come up in a while. In fact, I'm not even sure whether it's worth learning voting behaviour, given that questions on that appeared in the past two years' papers.
As for the USA, a lot of people are saying that there could be a Q on the impact of ethnic minority voting on the 2012 election.
Reply 141
Hi there,
My personal predictions:
Devolved decision making- No idea, but hopefully one regarding the role of local Councillors/MSPs.
Electoral systems- AMS/STV vs FPTP unlikely to be voting behavior.
Health and wealth- Lifestyle question or an isolated factor one such as last years which was poverty's affect on health. May also be government policies to reduce wealth inequalities
USA- How ethnic minorities influence elections (2012) or social/economic inequalities among ethnic minorities.

DME- Anybody got any ideas? I need help with what background knowledge to find/learn..

Reply 142
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I would strongly recommend you revise voting systems, especially AMS/STV vs FPTP for voting systems as that hasn't come up in a while. In fact, I'm not even sure whether it's worth learning voting behaviour, given that questions on that appeared in the past two years' papers.
As for the USA, a lot of people are saying that there could be a Q on the impact of ethnic minority voting on the 2012 election.

Do you think they could really make it specific to the 2012 election, or are they more likely to ask about political participation / impact on elections in general?
Original post by lala4
Hi there,
My personal predictions:
Devolved decision making- No idea, but hopefully one regarding the role of local Councillors/MSPs.
Electoral systems- AMS/STV vs FPTP unlikely to be voting behavior.
Health and wealth- Lifestyle question or an isolated factor one such as last years which was poverty's affect on health. May also be government policies to reduce wealth inequalities
USA- How ethnic minorities influence elections (2012) or social/economic inequalities among ethnic minorities.

DME- Anybody got any ideas? I need help with what background knowledge to find/learn..

you say an isolated factor, can you still discuss other factors but that one has to be your main focus? like you would do for lifestyle?
Reply 144
Original post by JackoGeddes
you say an isolated factor, can you still discuss other factors but that one has to be your main focus? like you would do for lifestyle?

Yeah i didnt mean to put it like that. Yes you can just as you would do for the lifestyle question, just need to refer back to the question as the main factor in the question is poverty if that makes any sense haha?
Original post by skier16
Do you think they could really make it specific to the 2012 election, or are they more likely to ask about political participation / impact on elections in general?

Now that you ask me, I'm not entirely sure, although I would learn figures for 2012 and, failing that, 2008.
Reply 146
Is it bad that I have like no time left, that based on mines and everyone's predictions, I will only revise those questions???....:/ it's such a stupid thing to do isn't it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 147
Original post by amber_sss
Is it bad that I have like no time left, that based on mines and everyone's predictions, I will only revise those questions???....:/ it's such a stupid thing to do isn't it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know how you feel like! :P Im worried about just revising voting systems and than voting behaviour comes up. blah! I think its best to revise the prediction questions most but maybe just glance/read over other possibilities. :smile:
I'm goin in with my predictions and a backup for nearly all of them in case, theres a pattern if you look at past questions
Reply 149
with modern studies i am predicting that it will most likely be on health rather than wealth as the previous two have been on wealth for the dme
Reply 150
Hi, has anyone else done China? It seems to be on a 2 year loop. Democracy, Social/Economic change more or less. Finding it quite hard to find up to date examples though from this year or last for average income rates etc.

Has anyone got any idea what the DME will be on? I'm thinking it must be something to do with the Welfare reforms.

Lastly, has anyone got any good and up to date essay plans from websites / class or just your own? :smile:
Reply 151
Original post by Jambo95
Hi, has anyone else done China? It seems to be on a 2 year loop. Democracy, Social/Economic change more or less. Finding it quite hard to find up to date examples though from this year or last for average income rates etc.

Has anyone got any idea what the DME will be on? I'm thinking it must be something to do with the Welfare reforms.

Lastly, has anyone got any good and up to date essay plans from websites / class or just your own? :smile:

So what do you think the question on China will be?
Reply 152
Who has predictions for South Africa???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 153
Two weeks today until the exam :eek: My sections are A2, A4, B5 or B6, and C11. Is anyone else doing Politics of Development in Africa? I'm thinking about concentrating on the UN and NGOs for that one as they haven't come up in a few years.
I think we're pretty much guaranteed electoral systems in A4, and hopefully a question on factors that affect health in Section B.
As for A2 I have no idea what might come up :frown:
Original post by madmissi
Two weeks today until the exam :eek: My sections are A2, A4, B5 or B6, and C11. Is anyone else doing Politics of Development in Africa? I'm thinking about concentrating on the UN and NGOs for that one as they haven't come up in a few years.
I think we're pretty much guaranteed electoral systems in A4, and hopefully a question on factors that affect health in Section B.
As for A2 I have no idea what might come up :frown:

Yeah, I'm doing Africa as well. Our teacher also told us to take care to revise NGOs, etc. For section A4, to be honest I don't think I'm even going to touch my voting behaviour notes. A question comparing FPTP vs AMS/STV is virtually on the cards. Are you also doing the USA?
people it might be worth looking over the American Dream in case ethnic minorities influence on elections doesn't come up
Reply 156
Original post by roarwalk49
people it might be worth looking over the American Dream in case ethnic minorities influence on elections doesn't come up

and that question is basically the same as the social and economic question with ethnic minorities then, yeah?
Reply 157
Original post by roarwalk49

Or maybe ethnic minorities social and economic progress? similar answer i suppose.

Is there a chance in the America question that a question about political progress made by ethnic minorities could come up :biggrin: ?
Original post by hendycfc
and that question is basically the same as the social and economic question with ethnic minorities then, yeah?

Yeah, more or less:smile:
Original post by jazzymina
Or maybe ethnic minorities social and economic progress? similar answer i suppose.

Is there a chance in the America question that a question about political progress made by ethnic minorities could come up :biggrin: ?

Theres always a chance but id bank on the two i mentioned

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending