The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

First year Sport Science student at Brunel: here to help!

Hey guys,

So last year when I was in your positions I found TSR to be so helpful! I also found speaking to current students, calmed my nerves a lot. So I'm here for all prospective students to Brunel University. Feel free to ask anything, if you're worried, questions abour freshers week, nights out etc. :top:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anszz
Hey guys,

So last year when I was in your positions I found TSR to be so helpful! I also found speaking to current students, calmed my nerves a lot. So I'm here for all prospective students to Brunel University. Feel free to ask anything, if you're worried, questions abour freshers week, nights out etc. :top:

Im surprised no one has replied to your post.

What would you say the best and worst thing is about Brunel? Also,how lenient are they in terms if grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2
Guess they don't need help.

Best thing: they've got a good Student Union, facilities are good and campus life is enjoyable!

Bad thing: not much to do out in uxbridge area, the costcutter on campus is over priced lol

As for being lenient, last year I was 10 ucas points off from what I needed and I still got in but I guess that's not a lot. I do know that this year the grades for sport science are a lot higher. I guess it depends on how far off the required grade you are and how many people have applied for the course
Reply 3
Any tips you should give out about freshers week? What am I going to expect? Also are the drinks cheap inside the clubs lol :P (I live in the North west so have no idea on the pricing down in London).

Lastly, how good are the sport facility, and how well does the union run itself?
You might know my brother then...
Reply 5
For freshers week defo attend all the free events that they put on (including freshers fair) and just enjoy the week to its fullest, as it only comes round once.

During freshers week there are a variety of activities during the day which will all be outlined in a booklet which you'll get. During my freshers week there waa ice skating, sports games, night events etc.

The drinks on campus and in Liquid are pretty much the average for a London night out, however on Wednesday at Liquid (student night) most drinks are £1

The sport facilities are really good, the gyms are great also. Membership are a bit pricey but if you're serious for the gym then its not an issue. Altogether the union is very good and fun l, there is a lot of things to get involved in at Brunel and you'll discover this throughout your time :smile:
Reply 6
Who's your brother? Whats his name?
Reply 7
Thanks man. Is it hard to get into the football or lacrosse team at brunel? I havent done team football in about 3 years nd i havent touched a lacrosse stick in like 6. Do they have weekly socials?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Your welcome. Im not a member of either team but I think there are a few teams for both sports. They have trial days where you'll go and try out the sports and hopefully you'll make a team
Reply 9
Do u know Hong Kongers mostly go to which hall?
Reply 10
No I do not sorry, however the majority of international students live in the Isamabard Complex so you may find people from Hong Kong there.

Note: Isambard Complex is for 2nd year students - onwards, so no Freshers live there.
Reply 11
hey can do you have 4 exams this week? im struggling so bad
Reply 12
Original post by EPIC Guy
hey can do you have 4 exams this week? im struggling so bad

What do you mean?
Original post by Anszz
Who's your brother? Whats his name?

Oh, I'm sorry I've just seen this. You didn't quote me.

His name is Lennox (tall black kid). Know him?
Reply 14
Original post by Iamyourfather
Oh, I'm sorry I've just seen this. You didn't quote me.

His name is Lennox (tall black kid). Know him?

Hey sorry I didn't realise this, and yes I do know of him. We have spoken a few times but not that much :smile:
Original post by Anszz
Hey sorry I didn't realise this, and yes I do know of him. We have spoken a few times but not that much :smile:

Haha. Cool :smile:
Reply 16
had a few questions:
how much do you do practical stuff on the course and if you do, how much of the practical is stuff like running in front of the whole class etc
do you get to know people on your course as in friend terms
is it hard to make friends with the people you live with or did you find it easy?
thanks
Reply 17
Original post by anon1995
had a few questions:
how much do you do practical stuff on the course and if you do, how much of the practical is stuff like running in front of the whole class etc
do you get to know people on your course as in friend terms
is it hard to make friends with the people you live with or did you find it easy?
thanks

The course is not very practical as such. The only physical activity that we had to do which was course related in first year was for our Coaching module. We had to pick 2 sports and learnt within 4 sessions each, the choices were; basketball, badminton and football (these may change though). Other than that there was no practicals, unless you play a sport in which case you would be training with your sports club, if you choose to join them.

Sports Science is one of the bigger courses in the Uni (not the biggest) and the class is quiet big, you do make friends quiet quickly. You meet during lectures, seminars, sports teams etc.

My flatmates were all really lovely, and making friends was really easy. You won't find it hard because you'll see them every day and so you're kinda 'forced' to communicate.
Reply 18
Hey I'll be taking admission most probably this year only... I'm quite nervous and excited also... as I'm not reaching to their requirements for my course but due to my achievements they told me that i can apply... But for the first I'll be studying with group of 8-10 students and from 2nd year I can join main batch... What's that exactly ...?? Is it okay to join this ??
Reply 19
Original post by 19himani
Hey I'll be taking admission most probably this year only... I'm quite nervous and excited also... as I'm not reaching to their requirements for my course but due to my achievements they told me that i can apply... But for the first I'll be studying with group of 8-10 students and from 2nd year I can join main batch... What's that exactly ...?? Is it okay to join this ??

I'm not entirely sure as to what this is, the best thing to do is contact the University directly and ask them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending