The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SirMasterKey
I have so many ideas for good Doctor Who stories. Some of them might even be epic. If only I could be made the new head writer.

Same. I've started to write my own whole series! (for the fun of it, obviously :tongue:)
Reply 681
Have any of you heard of the new soundtrack competition? Link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rryyj/features/doctor-who-create-a-soundtrack-competition
If only I could get involved!!
Just noticed that previous cast member

Spoiler

is confirmed for the 50th anniversary.
Speculation:

Spoiler

Original post by Remonyn
Have any of you heard of the new soundtrack competition? Link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rryyj/features/doctor-who-create-a-soundtrack-competition
If only I could get involved!!

Is there any reason you can't?
Original post by Llewellyn
Is there any reason you can't?

You have to be 11-16.
Original post by SirMasterKey
You have to be 11-16.

Oh that's a shame :sad: Still, I have always thought the amount of younger fan competitions is something that Doctor Who did really well.

Back to the Tv series: I thought that the latest 2 episodes have been a big improvement. To be honest recently my interest was waning due to what I think is just poor writing (Dr who can get away with quite a lot, but a Sun God?! Really?) and poor scripting. But I really enjoyed the latest episode. I think Dr Who is much better when there is a much bigger focus on the serious side of events and when it is (somewhat) scary. Something I really didn't like about Smith/Pond towards the end of season 5 and 6 was how jolly and silly they would always act almost no matter what. I think Clara is a much better character because I can relate to her much easier. I like how she is able to take a step back and bring more human emotion into the show (unlike Amy who seemingly just augmented the eccentricity of the characters to a point where it was silly). Also I think Smith played a much better role in the latest two episodes (although again I think that is just because the writing was improved).
I don't like the fact that Moffat has started to test the waters about the original rule where the Doctor could only regenerate 12 times. The idea of unlimited regens is quite frankly, idiotic. Is Moffat going through puberty? He seems to have these rash decisions on what could indefinitely destroy the series. That being said, the show has been maimed series ago!
Original post by Sphodromantis
I don't like the fact that Moffat has started to test the waters about the original rule where the Doctor could only regenerate 12 times. The idea of unlimited regens is quite frankly, idiotic. Is Moffat going through puberty? He seems to have these rash decisions on what could indefinitely destroy the series. That being said, the show has been maimed series ago!

Do you think this is just Moffat, or some big shots that realise how popular Dr Who is telling Moffat that they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot and stop the franchise? It's a little known fact that the show is incredibly popular and is approaching it's 50th Anniversary - if they have concerns over a self-imposed limitation then surely they will want to address that.

The idea of regeneration at all is idiotic. As is the idea of having some arbitrary cap on the number of times it can happen. It's all relative and quite frankly if I wanted to do an objective analysis of just how silly Dr Who is then I could write a small book. The show is entertainment, not a documentary. Yes there are limits, but I don't see the issue with changing this and I definitely do not see why it should surprise some people that the BBC/Moffat are pushing to change it.
Original post by Llewellyn
Do you think this is just Moffat, or some big shots that realise how popular Dr Who is telling Moffat that they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot and stop the franchise? It's a little known fact that the show is incredibly popular and is approaching it's 50th Anniversary - if they have concerns over a self-imposed limitation then surely they will want to address that.

The idea of regeneration at all is idiotic. As is the idea of having some arbitrary cap on the number of times it can happen. It's all relative and quite frankly if I wanted to do an objective analysis of just how silly Dr Who is then I could write a small book. The show is entertainment, not a documentary. Yes there are limits, but I don't see the issue with changing this and I definitely do not see why it should surprise some people that the BBC/Moffat are pushing to change it.

The issue is that it's a long-established rule of the Doctor Who universe and, after this many years, I don't think they should be allowed to change it.

It would be like the Doctor fixing his chameleon circuit for good and his Tardis being able to change appearance in every episode. It just wouldn't be right.
Reply 689
Original post by snowyowl
The issue is that it's a long-established rule of the Doctor Who universe and, after this many years, I don't think they should be allowed to change it.

It would be like the Doctor fixing his chameleon circuit for good and his Tardis being able to change appearance in every episode. It just wouldn't be right.

So a choice between ~4 more series or changing a completely arbitrary rule that makes absolutely no sense (why would essentially immortal brings cap their own existence), you choose 'cancel the series'

Interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 690
Clara Oswald when she went to the Doctor and said 'That's how we do it!' after planet earth was saved.

Best assistant by miles, perhaps only Donna can compete.
Reply 691
Original post by snowyowl

Dr Who is an incredibly popular show. Closing it would be a disaster. I just believe they need to find a dramatic way to make the doctor have 10 more lives. Then when those are done , assess where the show is going and get 10 more.
Letting it run forever would be a disaster too.
Reply 693
Keep it to 13. Why not, eh?
I think it's too early to say whether or not they should stick to 12 regenerations. The show is very popular now, but will it still be in the future?

I think unlimited regenerations is silly, and twelve is a nice number. But at the same time, I see no reason why there can't be an in-show plot in which the Doctor finds a way to get several more regenerations. Surely there would be some logical way it would happen. If River sacrificed all her regenerations to save the Doctor, I don't see why someone else can't voluntarily give up their regenerations to the Doctor. Or maybe there is Lord of Regeneration Energy somewhere who will give the Doctor extra. Or the Doctor will go on a quest for more regenerations.

The best option would be to keep quiet about it now, and see how well Doctor Who is still doing when we're onto the 13th Doctor. Keep the fans sweating :wink: Because, if it's still popular then and has lots of fans, it would be insane to end it.
Reply 695
I would love for the limit to have been something that was imposed by the council, rather than being genetic. The Doctor doesn't realise this, and do we have a doctor who spends his time coming to terms with his mortality and upcoming final death. Then after he dies he regenerates and there's more Doctor!
Original post by Aula
I would love for the limit to have been something that was imposed by the council, rather than being genetic. The Doctor doesn't realise this, and do we have a doctor who spends his time coming to terms with his mortality and upcoming final death. Then after he dies he regenerates and there's more Doctor!

Then this new Doctor goes off to find out why he's still alive!

Would be good.
Original post by Aula

I believe it is, since the council could give more regenerations on appeal, which is how the master survived so long. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 698
Original post by Aula

Please send this to the BBC Dr Who team.

Seriously. We , the people could come up with truly beautiful story lines.

Email it to them guys.
Original post by Maid Marian
I think it's too early to say whether or not they should stick to 12 regenerations. The show is very popular now, but will it still be in the future?

I think unlimited regenerations is silly, and twelve is a nice number. But at the same time, I see no reason why there can't be an in-show plot in which the Doctor finds a way to get several more regenerations. Surely there would be some logical way it would happen. If River sacrificed all her regenerations to save the Doctor, I don't see why someone else can't voluntarily give up their regenerations to the Doctor. Or maybe there is Lord of Regeneration Energy somewhere who will give the Doctor extra. Or the Doctor will go on a quest for more regenerations.

The best option would be to keep quiet about it now, and see how well Doctor Who is still doing when we're onto the 13th Doctor. Keep the fans sweating :wink: Because, if it's still popular then and has lots of fans, it would be insane to end it.

How do we as viewers even know that the doctor is currently the 11th? What if he had regenerated multiple times before the 1963 series? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe in the history of the show The Doctor has actually referred to himself as a number such as 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest