The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by Champagne Supernova
The hyperlink to the source of the original post is placed with the username). In Captain Jack's latest update, he says this is being immediately being worked on -

oh goody. Thanks.
Original post by tooambitious
I think I've shown why your response was inadequate. There's no need to continue this.

I don't know how to do that. If you're that bothered you could delete your text, so the quote is made up of just what I said, surely?

Not really, you just suggested that you shouldn't have to be patient and then claimed that me replying to things you said had no relevance to what you said: which is of course wrong.

You type outside of the tags that say quote - and not really: a) posts quoted in the post you quoted don't show up, and B) I have no powers in this section.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Not really, you just suggested that you shouldn't have to be patient and then claimed that me replying to things you said had no relevance to what you said: which is of course wrong.

You type outside of the tags that say quote - and not really: a) posts quoted in the post you quoted don't show up, and B) I have no powers in this section.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just noticed youre on your phone. I emboldened what I wrote*

*thats something to fix on the app

Anyway, I'm no longer travelling, so don't have time to waste with this.
Original post by RK
The text around the site like this is stuff which is manually being updated. All the capital letters on second/third words etc will gradually be removed. I don't think there have been any changes with these bits of text in the recent updates, but there should hopefully be some soon.

In fact, I've taken a few minutes to go edit 10 or so phrases to sort out the capitalisation...

:cool: brilliant :biggrin:

I've spent the afternoon editing my work to get rid of random Capitals too. I wish I could stop myself from capitalising Important words in the first Place, would save me tonnes of time.
I think I've shown why your response was inadequate. There's no need to continue this.

I don't know how to do that. If you're that bothered you could delete your text, so the quote is made up of just what I said, surely?

When you quote someone, then any quotes already in the post are removed. So if you add your response inside the quote, your response won't be there when someone replies, and they will have to manually copy it in, which can be annoying if you have to do it often.

Just reply like you did in the post I am quoting - write your comments after the quote. If you want to break the quote into different parts, add a [noparse] tag after a section, and then a [noparse]
at the start of the next section, like this:

[noparse]

This is my reply to this section.

Now I reply to this.[/noparse]

Which looks like:

This is my reply to this section.

Now I reply to this.

Just noticed youre on your phone. I emboldened what I wrote*

*thats something to fix on the app

Anyway, I'm no longer travelling, so don't have time to waste with this.

Bold text stands out - but still presents the problems I have stated. It wasn't not being able to read your reply that made Stiffy ask you not to reply within the quote marks.
(edited 10 years ago)
I can't believe I've already forgotten how the old design looked like. :facepalm2:
Original post by PQ
:cool: brilliant :biggrin:

I've spent the afternoon editing my work to get rid of random Capitals too. I wish I could stop myself from capitalising Important words in the first Place, would save me tonnes of time.

Not sure if you're being ironic here... :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
ugh, this makes me want to get off TSR and do something else....
Original post by Ice Constricter
I can't believe I've already forgotten how the old design looked like. :facepalm2:

You're not the only one! :rolleyes:

If you look back a few pages where I posted, you'd see that I was completely against the new TSR designs and was adamant that it should be changed back. But now, I've actually been forced to adapt and put up with it - I've actually been subconsciously forced to grow to tolerate it and now I cannot muster up the drive and fire to demand the reversal of the design changes!

Damn you TSR; damn youuuu! :fuhrer:
Original post by dendodge
Wow. This is really ugly.

Even I think that, and my own website is bright orange.

The orange is too bright compared to everything else, the grey post headers are kinda boring but I'll get used to them, the blob characters are cute but they're not really used widely enough to become an integral part of the design (and should totally become the basis for a new emoticon set!), and the star on the "Watched threads" box looks like it was drawn by a child with a large felt-tip pen - a sharper and more symmetrical icon would look less childish.

I like that solid colours are being used as the basis of the design, and the large icons are nice and touch-friendly, but the design overall just doesn't quite gel. It's a nice base, but it doesn't all work together as-is.

At least I, for one, don't mind the font - but Arial is so generic that it's boring :tongue:

Oh, and the rep gems are great and way better than the old ones, but the rep buttons at the bottom of posts are terrible because they're too wide and there's not enough distinction between repped and unrepped posts.

While we're on the subject of the rep gems, the help text that pops up when you hover over the question mark is ungrammatical:
"The Reputation gems seen here indicate how well reputed the user is, red gem indicate negative reputation and green indicates a good rep."
It should probably read "The reputation gems seen here indicate how well reputed the user is; red gems indicate negative reputation and green gems indicate good rep." But I'm not sure about the "how well reputed the user is" part...

Your website look more professional than this! :rofl:
Original post by kidomo
ugh, this makes me want to get off TSR and do something else....

I was like that a few days ago as well, until I was subconsciously made to tolerate it and was distracted by dozens of quotes to reply to and threads to make! Bread and circuses, man, bread and circuses! :fuhrer:
Original post by HumanSupremacist
I was like that a few days ago as well, until I was subconsciously made to tolerate it and was distracted by dozens of quotes to reply to and threads to make! Bread and circuses, man, bread and circuses! :fuhrer:

It won't be long before I experience withdrawal symptoms myself. I mean where else would I find a student room as intellectually engaging as TSR?
Reply 412
Original post by kidomo
Your website look more professional than this! :rofl:

Yeah, that was my attempt to jump on the bright, solid colour bandwagon Microsoft started. It didn't go great, and I need to redesign that at some point.

I've done better, I promise!
Another problem that I've noticed since the redesign: I'm using TSR on an iPad (not using the iPad app, just a browser) and those little buttons that I could previously press on to view a 'spoiler' in someone's post no longer do anything when I try to press on them, they are now just like flat graphics. Maybe it would be different if I used the iPad app? But it does seem odd that those buttons worked perfectly fine on the iPad with the old design, but not with the new one.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Not sure if you're being ironic here... :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't Know What You Mean?
Original post by PQ
Don't Know What You Mean?

:tongue: Quite.
Original post by Platinum Mech
Another problem that I've noticed since the redesign: I'm using TSR on an iPad (not using the iPad app, just a browser) and those little buttons that I could previously press on to view a 'spoiler' in someone's post no longer do anything when I try to press on them, they are now just like flat graphics. Maybe it would be different if I used the iPad app? But it does seem odd that those buttons worked perfectly fine on the iPad with the old design, but not with the new one.

I'm told they're working on this. Same with iPhones and iPod touches.
Original post by G8D
The site font should be comic sans. It goes with the childish ethos of the 'rebrand'.

It looks lovely
(edited 10 years ago)
It looks like you've made the green brighter to match with the red. I think they should both be lighter, as you can't tell straight away if someone has been repped - it now kind of looks like everyone has a positive and negative rep.
Original post by G8D
It doesn't work. I can see that you've used it in the quote but not in the post :'(

It looks alright to me? (I think)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending