The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
THANK YOU LUIZ. (Shocking goal keeping)
Reply 1341
Thank **** for that
Reply 1342
This game reminds me of when I face a crap person on FIFA. I just drop deep, hit on counters and score scrappy goals when really if I'd bothered I'd have won 5-0. Anyway trophy is ours to lose should beat them at least 3-0 in the second leg.
Original post by Musester
The standard of officiating in this compettition is so bad. Should have been at least two reds tonight and that's five penalties in our last five games, only one for us.and four of then aren't even penalties.

Yeah, oh well we've just been getting **** decisions lately. Thought we'd jam a win we've been doing that in the europa league playing at 65% and winning games narrowly.
Original post by Multitalented me
Seems like we haven't even got out of 1st gear all game & Torres :facepalm:

Torres is ****ing **** we know that. Fades so nicely.
Flipping heck!! We should have scored more!!!
Thanks Luiz, dodgy free kick but who cares because it ended at the back of the net!!
Reply 1344
DAVID LUIZ. What a guy!s
Haha the reaction of the Basel fans when that last goal went in. I saw about a few hundred facepalms.

Roll on the weekend.
Reply 1346
Main notes about tonights game. The midfield pairing was pretty intriguing and since it's a thing we bang on about here I watched quite a bit on it.

The luiz lampard partnership worked very well.
Luiz

Spoiler

Saying that basel were extremely poor but I'd like to see that partnership again. Luiz and hazard were MOTM for me. You could see us lose a foothold of the game when lampard left as well. Benitez was probably pissed off with that shot he made that went wildly and subbed him off straight away :lol: I'd have done the same personally.

Lampard

Spoiler

I'm in a pretty buoyant mood. Tie's not over but really if we're a goal to the good early on there's no way back for basel imo.
(edited 10 years ago)
Torres is back to his usual, missing good chances.
Reply 1348
Original post by cleveradam
Torres is back to his usual, missing good chances.

Yeah, he was never that amazing even in the bright spark of form. I'm going through a similar phase in relation to uni work. :facepalm2:
Reply 1349
Original post by jam277
Lampard obviously had a good game, doing his thing, didn't see too many amazing passes from deep like he can do at times but he got into key positions for shots and generally his ball distribution was very good. Would like to see this again, in fact I really think we should keep his contract for next season.

Not quite sure I agree, he was defensively extremely weak and his mistakes could have seen us punished a few times. Couldn't keep up with the pace of the game when we were defending. Still the nearest thing we have to a deep lying playmaker, played some excellent passes and showed great vision. Would have worked better with both Luiz and Ramires along side him imo.

Still think he should stay of course but he needs to take a huge pay cut, might well be what held the deal up in the first place, can't justify paying him any where near as much as we did when he was in his prime.
Reply 1350
the penalty given against chelsea against basel was unbelievable, even the basel fans werent appealing. the ref gifted them a goal.
Reply 1351
Original post by mhsc
Not quite sure I agree, he was defensively extremely weak and his mistakes could have seen us punished a few times. Couldn't keep up with the pace of the game when we were defending. Still the nearest thing we have to a deep lying playmaker, played some excellent passes and showed great vision. Would have worked better with both Luiz and Ramires along side him imo.

Still think he should stay of course but he needs to take a huge pay cut, might well be what held the deal up in the first place, can't justify paying him any where near as much as we did when he was in his prime.

Yeah, but the thing is that's really not his game. I think that at times luiz went too forward. Maybe with lampard in a midfield 3 the defensive responsibility would be less down to him but luiz could have been a bit more defensive himself as lampard is never going to keep up with the pace of the game while luiz obviously can. See most midfield two's have players who work well defensively. Khedira, alonso, schweinsteigger, gustavo while we've basically shifted an immobile midfielder who has technique into a DM position.

It's why juve play a midfield 3 with pirlo e.g. as he's not that great defensively, similar criticisms are made of scholes and giggs when they play as a CM.
It was a deserved win, the scoreline doesn't highlight how well Chelsea dominated the game. I've never seen such a lucky penalty awarded as the one today. 2 away goals is a good result no matter which way you look at it though, now the focus remains on Swansea at the weekend in a must win game.
Reply 1353
God I want to get out of the Europa League so bad, crap teams, crap commentators and crap atmospheres.

Incidentally, if we do qualify for the CL next year, what seeding would we be in?
Reply 1354
God I want to get out of the Europa League so bad, crap teams, crap commentators and crap atmospheres.

Incidentally, if we do qualify for the CL next year, what seeding would we be in?

We won the champions league last year, milan were a first seed this year even though they've not made it past the quarters and we're on course to win 2 european trophies in 2 years. We'll still be first. Heck we're probably the 3rd or 2nd best european club in terms of coefficients now should definitely be above united now.
Reply 1355
Original post by mhsc

Around Christmas I remember there were reports that he was willing to take a pay cut and accepted that he wouldn't be starting every game but the board just wouldn't budge
Reply 1356
Yeah but reports that he'd take a pay cut and that being the truth aren't necessarily the same thing. Its possible he would take a "pay cut" but with the expectation still of it being far too high, especially given that a lot of clubs out there (American, Chinese, maybe Russian) would offer him big big wages to play for them to increase their brand recognition.

Its possible the club is letting him sweat it out in the hope he'll finally give into their wage demands, maybe hoping he'll decide he'd rather stay at Chelsea no matter the pay.

On the other hand I could be entirely wrong and the club simply has 0 interest in keeping him, but that's such a phenomenally unusual decision that I just can't believe that it's the entire story.
Reply 1357
Original post by mhsc
Yeah but reports that he'd take a pay cut and that being the truth aren't necessarily the same thing. Its possible he would take a "pay cut" but with the expectation still of it being far too high, especially given that a lot of clubs out there (American, Chinese, maybe Russian) would offer him big big wages to play for them to increase their brand recognition.

Its possible the club is letting him sweat it out in the hope he'll finally give into their wage demands, maybe hoping he'll decide he'd rather stay at Chelsea no matter the pay.

On the other hand I could be entirely wrong and the club simply has 0 interest in keeping him, but that's such a phenomenally unusual decision that I just can't believe that it's the entire story.

Did we offer the contract to drogba? This seems a very similar situation to the drogba story I feel. Think lamps can stay but it's looking very unlikely.

First seeds. Currently according to UEFA Coefficients, the first seeds would be Barca, Bayern, R.Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Inter Milan and Porto. This could change by the end of the European competitions with teams like Dortmund likely to rise.
Reply 1359
Original post by samiz20891
First seeds. Currently according to UEFA Coefficients, the first seeds would be Barca, Bayern, R.Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal, Inter Milan and Porto. This could change by the end of the European competitions with teams like Dortmund likely to rise.

Not even, if dortmund won it AC will still be above dortmund as it's a 5 year coefficient.

Latest