The Student Room Group

Job Opportunities

Hey all.

Ive been accepted into Kings, London and the University of Bristol for my Masters in Computer Security. It was a tough decision but, Bristol is now my first choice. Ive applied for scholarships in both colleges. The out come remains to be seen.

Id like to know about Job Opportunities for Computer Science students(Post Graduate) in the UK;Considering I am doing a specialized course such as Security. Among the two, is there any difference in preference for jobs? As in will Bristol or Kings get me a better job than the other? I do know job hunting is external and the careers services always help you out.

It is vital i find a job and work for a few years. Im an International Student from India.
If anyone can shed light on this, it would help me a whole lot.

Thank you :smile:
Thanks Psyche, someone had to say it.
Masters that are "just cynical attempts by universities to create lucrative sources of income"

And not just from overseas students either. If you look at at some of the ludicrously overblown titles some Masters degrees are being given, especially in Humanities ('Anthropology of the Media'?), it is obvious that ££ are vastly more important that academic integrity - or usefulness.

As an academic at a Russell Group Uni, I am watching as the whole Masters system is being totally undermined by this silly 'degree factory' mentality.
Reply 3
Okay. Well, that gives me a different view point. Theres no reason to be this harsh guys. It just opinions and views im looking for. I do know about the Job Market there and the economy. Just wanted to know if it really is that bad.
Besides, i chose Bristol because of its course structure and security is something ive always wanted to specialize in. The reason a job is important is because of the student loan im taking. If i did have my own money and could afford living there without any loan or grant, i wouldnt be asking you about job opportunities No one is looking to permanently settle down in the UK. At least not me. I want to gain some job experience before going back.
Okay, im one of those Indians who personally hates the Indian System of Education. Honestly. I got into my University(which is one of the best in India) purely by merit. The percentage requirement here is no joke either. I was good enough to make the cut. No ranks whatsoever. I chose not to indulge in the rat race that is the ranking system we have back here.
You should probably do some research about Indian Universities before generalizing. The courses you mentioned (engineering and medical) are the two courses that are dragging down our system. Its only these courses that are ranked. All the entrance exams we have are for Engineering and Medical. These two seem to be taking the shine away from all the other courses we have here. Its either Engineering or Medical or Art. What is someone wants to do a pure science course?
Besides, you cant generalize about Indian mentality. Not everyone is the same. I thought this was a forum for some informative and non-hostile feedback. Seems like youve got soemthing against Indians.
Anyway, i know a friend from India doing the same Masters as I am who has secured a job with BT. So what youre trying to say might not be entirely true.

Thanks for the feedback.
Reply 4
Original post by VivanKumar
Okay. Well, that gives me a different view point. Theres no reason to be this harsh guys. It just opinions and views im looking for. I do know about the Job Market there and the economy. Just wanted to know if it really is that bad.
Besides, i chose Bristol because of its course structure and security is something ive always wanted to specialize in. The reason a job is important is because of the student loan im taking. If i did have my own money and could afford living there without any loan or grant, i wouldnt be asking you about job opportunities No one is looking to permanently settle down in the UK. At least not me. I want to gain some job experience before going back.
Okay, im one of those Indians who personally hates the Indian System of Education. Honestly. I got into my University(which is one of the best in India) purely by merit. The percentage requirement here is no joke either. I was good enough to make the cut. No ranks whatsoever. I chose not to indulge in the rat race that is the ranking system we have back here.
You should probably do some research about Indian Universities before generalizing. The courses you mentioned (engineering and medical) are the two courses that are dragging down our system. Its only these courses that are ranked. All the entrance exams we have are for Engineering and Medical. These two seem to be taking the shine away from all the other courses we have here. Its either Engineering or Medical or Art. What is someone wants to do a pure science course?
Besides, you cant generalize about Indian mentality. Not everyone is the same. I thought this was a forum for some informative and non-hostile feedback. Seems like youve got soemthing against Indians.
Anyway, i know a friend from India doing the same Masters as I am who has secured a job with BT. So what youre trying to say might not be entirely true.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thumbs up for staying cool. :cool:
Reply 5
I was talking about job prospects because I will have to pay back the money im taking as a loan. Hence, the few years of job is required. Im not some rich kid who has enough money to pay his way through college without any assistance. I am not looking at this as a way to find permanent residence in the UK or to settle down. I have every intention of going back home and working.
I thought you were against the whole "ranking" system. What else would you deem to be an appropriate selection criteria? Even in the UK you guys have to work for grades such as an AAA or AAB etc. Similarly we work with percentages. Im pretty sure you know that. Except for Engineering and Medicine everything else works on this system. And getting into the top 5 in Delhi University is no cake walk. Its an accomplishment for me just like you getting into Cambridge must have been.
What is a "typically" Indian course by the way? Im doing a 3 year BSc Degree. Ask any student in India what that degree can give you. Without a masters to back it up, a Bsc is worthless in India. Engineers always get preferred. Thats how the system is. I believe in skills and hardwork. Every other student in india wants to be an Engineer. And the amount of engineering colleges that have come up here are amazing. They provide you with a degree, but the quality is just terrible. And yes, i do know back-end web programming. Im in the process of learning Python. And as you rightly said, a masters in india is not good. The only options i have are an Msc in India or an MCA. An MCA which is not recognized anywhere and has almost no value in India itself. The Msc if for another 3 years and has a slightly better value than an MCA in India. Both these courses again are very general. They do not specialize in anything id like to do. Its based on the same "rote learning" system which i do not wish to be a part of. There are only a handful of people who actually know what theyre doing outside of the books. Again, the Msc system is ranked and is subjected to the same system that undergraduates go through to get a college seat. In the IIT's itself for an MCA, there are around 24 seats out of which there is a quota for around 10 of them. That makes it 3000 people competing for 14 seats. I know 25 people from my class alone writing the entrance. Even after that, it wont guarantee you a job.

I have to point out that Im not specializing in Networks. Its a specific part of that dealing with Security. And im not looking at a Network admin profile. Its got more to do with forensics, countermeasures and policy development.

Also, why do you say that the CS Masters are worthless? I think as a computer science person ill probably have done more research and will be knowing more about the field than you. Youre into History, my friend. Thats worlds apart from what Im doing. Youve done a UK BA and a Masters from Cambridge again in the UK. Put yourself in my shoes for once and try to think if the same thoughts as mine cross by in yours- the whole "getting a job" thing.

if i had my dads business to take over. Id come party hard, get some degree and go back. Thats something i cant do. And the options in India are limited for me as well.

I agree with the HUGE number of applicants applying for one job. My friend who got through had to make it through several rounds and beat around 20 odd people. Now, i believe getting that far means you have to set yourself apart from the crowd and impress employers. That will come if youve got enough skill in what youre doing. Thats what i believe. No one said its east to get a job. Its insanely tough. But its not impossible.
Reply 6
Original post by psychedelicious
Forget it. I mean really. The chances of you finding a job before your visa runs out are low. I think (can't be sure) you're allowed a maximum of six months to find a job that pays 22,000 or more before you're asked to go home, it might be even less. If you want to do a master's in the UK as a route towards employment and residency - then again, don't even bother. The economy here has gone down the toilet and there is increasing hostility towards 'economic migrants'. All major political parties are now 'getting tough' on non-EU immigration.

Also the IT job market is saturated. Unless you're a developer you'll have problems. There are hundreds of applicants for networking job like the kind you'd be applying for after graduation.

If I were you, I'd try and go for the US or just stay in India. Just to hammer the point home - don't think for one moment you can come to the UK, do a master's then get a job and eventually indefinite leave to remain. I know and know of plenty of Indians who've been sent home after failing to meet the necessary condition required to stay in the UK.

And FFS can Indians please do something else other than Computer Science for a master's? The number of Indians posting here about M.Sc in 'Advanced Computer Nonsense' asking which course is best to get a job is becoming tedious. I thought 3 Idiots might have been a watershed moment; clearly it hasn't been.

I hate to admit it....but you are 100% right....!!!
Reply 7
Original post by psychedelicious
~

You're right and I totally agree with you but the problem with India isn't just the mentality to spoke of. It's also overpopulation. When you have a static number of universities with static number of courses, but ever-increasing academic requirements, there will ALWAYS be increased competition. Indian population growth rate is also very high which just adds to the difficulty.

So, as terrible as it might be for them to venture outward to get degrees elsewhere, I commend them for doing so because the situation in their country is pretty terrible.

Do you think these Indians WANT to take thousands in loans? They can just attend some random school in their country and be done with it. But what reputation will that have? Absolutely none.

I'm from Canada and our market has been saturated by immigrants as well (mostly Chinese and Indian). The saturation has led to increased demands placed on Canadian students because these Indians and Asians come with ridiculously good grades, and destroy everyone else in exams. Then universities start increasing their requirements and makes it more ****ing difficult for born/raised Canadian students to get into the programs they want.

I hate what the Canadian education system is becoming. It's all about marks now...they could care less about "who" you are as a person. If you have a 90, you're in. This leads to graduates who are ridiculously book smart, but have no ****ing social skills whatsoever.

I could go on and on about how ****ed up the system is getting because of the immigrants but I can't just ignore their issue as well. They have a population crisis back home and the only way to escape it is to leave.
Reply 8
Original post by Management
You're right and I totally agree with you but the problem with India isn't just the mentality to spoke of. It's also overpopulation. When you have a static number of universities with static number of courses, but ever-increasing academic requirements, there will ALWAYS be increased competition. Indian population growth rate is also very high which just adds to the difficulty.

So, as terrible as it might be for them to venture outward to get degrees elsewhere, I commend them for doing so because the situation in their country is pretty terrible.

Do you think these Indians WANT to take thousands in loans? They can just attend some random school in their country and be done with it. But what reputation will that have? Absolutely none.

I'm from Canada and our market has been saturated by immigrants as well (mostly Chinese and Indian). The saturation has led to increased demands placed on Canadian students because these Indians and Asians come with ridiculously good grades, and destroy everyone else in exams. Then universities start increasing their requirements and makes it more ****ing difficult for born/raised Canadian students to get into the programs they want.

I hate what the Canadian education system is becoming. It's all about marks now...they could care less about "who" you are as a person. If you have a 90, you're in. This leads to graduates who are ridiculously book smart, but have no ****ing social skills whatsoever.

I could go on and on about how ****ed up the system is getting because of the immigrants but I can't just ignore their issue as well. They have a population crisis back home and the only way to escape it is to leave.
This isn't really the case in the UK, except at Masters level (but most Masters programs are cash cows anyway). At undergrad level; there are fewer international students, and the students don't tend to be substantially better than UK nationals (although they are often more hardworking). Its not like the universities that have a large number of international Asian undergrads (e.g. LSE/Imperial) have a stronger undergraduate body than Oxbridge.

At PhD level, non-EU students aren't competing for the same funding that UK/EU students are (since RCUK funding is generally limited to EU nationals, or long-term UK residents) so its not an issue there; most international PhD students in the UK are self-funding.

Really though, I don't see the problem. UK universities need all the money they can get, and if international students are happy paying £25k for a Masters degree then everyone's a winner.
(edited 11 years ago)
Really? I don't think the OP intended this to be an outlet for your frustrations guys. He asked a question, which still hasn't been answered because this thread's been hijacked by people either a) with no knowledge of the answer or b) unwilling to offer a decent, straight answer without being rude.

In the context of the direct question asked by the OP, this thread reads terribly. Reading from the bottom up, I'd assumed this was a debate ignited by some intentionally inflammatory question.

Somehow, the topic shifted to a normative discussion on Master's students entering the UK from abroad, with some scathing remarks. I don't think the OP asked whether his career/study plans were justified 'in spite of' his nationality... I'm Welsh so don't - in a typically TSR way - assume I'm biased.

Btw, congrats OP. Bristol and King's are great unis. Best of luck with your studies and job hunting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by CommerceDressedAsRebellion
Really? I don't think the OP intended this to be an outlet for your frustrations guys. He asked a question, which still hasn't been answered because this thread's been hijacked by people either a) with no knowledge of the answer or b) unwilling to offer a decent, straight answer without being rude.

In the context of the direct question asked by the OP, this thread reads terribly. Reading from the bottom up, I'd assumed this was a debate ignited by some intentionally inflammatory question.

Somehow, the topic shifted to a normative discussion on Master's students entering the UK from abroad, with some scathing remarks. I don't think the OP asked whether his career/study plans were justified 'in spite of' his nationality... I'm Welsh so don't - in a typically TSR way - assume I'm biased.

Btw, congrats OP. Bristol and King's are great unis. Best of luck with your studies and job hunting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The remarks may well be scathing but they are true! Overseas students are going to have a significant number of difficulties in order to a) remain in the UK upon completion 2) get a job in the UK all this due to visa restrictions and other factors
Reply 11
Original post by Management

It is not the students fault. You should blame the Canadian Universities and education system. Globalisation is upon us, people move and settle where they see future and if that means studying really hard then they will do it.
Reply 12
It's quite ironic to say this but once I have achieved my qualifications I would like to work in India....Have to laugh after reading all the threads.

Stay focused.

:-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending